Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I was firing my MK4 22/45 I found it was raining brass on me. I'm not sure if the spent cases where bouncing off the sidewall of the lane at the range or flipping up out of the port. I had cases all over the lane desk and in my range kit. I'd go shoot the gun today but it's at the smith getting a set of Williams Fire Sights installed.Anyone else run it to this, the raining brass. :p I was firing CCI Mini Mag 40g

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a similar experience shooting CCI stingers, which I believe are slightly more powerful than the mini mags. The springs on the Mark iv’s are optimal for standard to high velocity rounds, and anything more powerful than that will cause higher bolt velocities and therefore higher ejection velocities.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well that makes sense, and of course I bought 1000 rounds of Mini Mag. Guess I'll have to buy a raincoat. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Wear a baseball cap and a long sleeve shirt when you go shooting and you will be good to go. The hat and shirt will keep hot brass from landing on bare skin areas.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You could also purchase some heavier recoil springs to slow things down a bit, but you’d have to swap them out when you switch back to lower power ammo.

·
Registered
494 Posts
When I shoot at the indoor range with a plain old Mark pistol, I find my brass scattered from 4 lanes left to 8 lanes right of my own. I've had some hot brass land on top of my head, down my shirt, in my pants pockets, and so on. They do go everywhere!

Bubba68's ideas are sound for protecting exposed skin.

That's why I made a brass deflector. See my avatar at the left. All my brass go forward to the right, leaving me with nothing to sweep up. Makes me feel like I'm cheating somehow. :D

<===

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I shoot at the indoor range with a plain old Mark pistol, I find my brass scattered from 4 lanes left to 8 lanes right of my own. I've had some hot brass land on top of my head, down my shirt, in my pants pockets, and so on. They do go everywhere!

Bubba68's ideas are sound for protecting exposed skin.

That's why I made a brass deflector. See my avatar at the left. All my brass go forward to the right, leaving me with nothing to sweep up. Makes me feel like I'm cheating somehow. :D

<===

Can you post a larger photo as well as one from the front and another from the top?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Indoors I get a lot of ejected shells off the wall to the right and then bouncing anywhere and every where!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts