Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a sp101 357. What recommendation are out there for brand and type of ammo. Major use will be range target shooting.

Thanks

·
Registered
747 Posts
The SP101 is a solid and well made handgun! Been there and done that!!!

However, you will not find it aT all pleasent to shoot with .357 loads! NOT AT ALL!!!! Been there and done that also!

A set of Houge after market grips really make a big difference in the shootability.

Shoot some .357 if you must, and you probably must, but for range time go with standard .38 loadings and .38 +P for social issues.

I also like a good set of "speed springs" but becareful to not go with something overly light on the hammer spring.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you plan to CC this revolver, you'll want to practice with your defense ammo. You probably don't want to take it out and shoot 100 357 rounds through it. 38 ammo is most likely cheaper and not as hard on your hand.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Winchester White Box 38 is plenty good for becoming familiar with a new gun. I like the 158gr Federal 357 for price and how it shoots if you want a box of that too.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Stick with a heavier round, like the 158 grain rounds and shooting it isn't really a problem. The only problem with shooting 38's in your .357 is that it will leave a carbon ring that can make it tough to load and/or extract .357 rounds. If you reload, you can tailor the round to your preferences. I kinda like the 158 grn lead FN round propelled by 6.5 grains of Bullseye.

·
Registered
747 Posts
There can be a carbon ring, and likely more so if you shoot cast boolits as I do. Have shot some thousands through our security six.

However, this is not a big issue.

By the time that happens, it is likely time to do a deep clean on the wheel gun any way, so take it apart, remove the cylindar and soak it over night in some Hoppies OR?? and the ring will very quickly clean out.

Finish cleaning and lubing the parts and put it back together and your good to go for many more shots.

All you need to do is load some .357 rounds in your cylindar and you will quickly know if there is a build up that needs to be removed.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First Range Session

Thanks to all for the input. I took it to the range today for the first time. Fired 35 rnds of blazer 357, 158 gr jhp and it felt fine. Also a few 38 special +.

The feel and performance of this handgun exceeded my expectations. What a fine piece.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts