Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that people that don't reload are good for those of us that do! In my last two trips to the range, I have picked up almost 400 rounds of .223, nearly 350 rounds of 45ACP, a whole bunch of 9mm & aound 50 of .40. All of the pistol brass seems to be once fired factory stuff & 2/3's of the .223 s too. Both times I was the only guy there, so I didn't pick up anyone elses brass that they would have wanted. Of corse, that dosen't happen everytime, just every once in awhile. [8D]

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I use a pecan picker/upper tool so i don't even have to bother bending over.
Have collected lots of 45 brass that way.
Still leary/suspect of the 40 brass though.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You Gentlemen are to be commended for your unselfish act of keeping our outdoors properly policed.... :D

It's the next best thing to having boxed, once fired brass given to you...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have always been somewhat suspicious of range brass, but because of the high price of metals these days I may start picking it up for the recycling plant.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I picked up so much 9MM I don't bother any more....
BUT
I really like the guys that leave brand new boxes/trays in the range trash can too!!! You can never have too many boxes and trays-- except of course 9mm which I leave for the next guy!!;)[:p]

I get especially happy when guys leave .44,.357,.45 etc. and .308,30-06,Boxer primed 54R and etc.
These guys make me glad I'm a reloader!!![:0]:)[8D]

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I pick it up myself, but you need to inspect it very close. Also, all the military calibers you really need to watch out for crimped in primers. You talk about sending everything to a screeching halt, just try to re-size a case with a crimped in primer!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I mostly shoot at an indoor range. The folks there have given me permission to dip into their brass buckets everytime I go, and I do.

Reloading is new to me, and I feel a bit foolish jumping all over the range on all fours picking up brass, then digging into the buckets, but it sure does save money.

I find mostly 9mm, which I will soon be reloading, and 40 cal, which I don't shoot. I reload .45 and .380 right now.

Plenty of .45, but there doesn't seem to be quite enough Bersa 380 owners out there to feed my habit.

WM

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
I pick up brass at the range any more. I used to lose a lot of mine because the range was so busy. Since it has been so hot, the range is pretty empty. Now I pick up a bunch - mostly .45 acp. I run them through the tumbler and give them a good inspection. Most are once-fired and good as new. I must have somewhere around 3,000 rounds of .45 brass. Most of it is mine, but probably 500 or so are range brass. Darn nice of folks to leave it for those of us who are needy!:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've been using range brass, and picked up off the desert floor brass for decades. That's why I'm not hurting for handgun brass. Rifle brass, well that's another story.

Joe

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have fired more range brass in my pistols over the years than bought brass. It's so good of those folks who don't reload to leave it laying around for us. :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
I go to a little range with only 4 shooting stations about a 30 minuted drive away. There was almost always a good selection of once fired brass to pick from. I usually paid for my gas up there and back with the brass I found.

But that has changed now. The price of commodities has gone so high that the Boy Scouts figured out that they could go to the range, police the brass, and sell it for a tidey sum.

Bottom line: no brass for bunz. But I can live with it; it is going to a good cause. (Although I did find about 75 cases of .45 acp yesterday)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I shoot mostly at a indoor range and I sweep up all my own brass. Sometimes I sweep up two or three lanes and take the extras. The range officers don't mine as they would have to do it if I didn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.