Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!
I'm off tomorrow after a long continuous stint on the job and I plan to spend this day off at the range! :D I usually make it to the range once a week but it's been a month since my "last dance". :(

I get like a kid on Christmas Eve the night before "Range Day". I get all excited and rarin' to go, packing the truck with the gear and getting the guns squared away, reviewing my shootin' notes from my last outing and whatever else I can do the night before to get an early start out in the morning.

I love being at the range because it's "my time" and I feel so at peace away from "the world" doing what I love to do. There's no phones ringing, Emails popping up, Bosses being bosses :eek:, etc.

How about you, anybody else get all excited and full of eager anticipation the night before "Range Day"?

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 303, the day was fantastic as they always are.

Got there at 7:00am, wrapped it up at 1:00pm and had it all to myself. Our range is way out in the "boonies". Nothin' out that way but lions, tigers and bears :eek:

How's your trip going? Have you made it home yet?

·
Registered
132 Posts
For 41 years I was a University Professor and steeped in the Culture of Academe. Needless to say, very few of my colleagues had any interest in firearms.

I, too, relish being on the range out in the country with the smell of pines, cedar, and gun powder wafting on the breeze. When I retired, I took up the hobby of target and self-defense shooting. I am sure my wife enjoys that it gets me out of the house and out of her hair a couple of times a week. It was one of the best decisions of my life. I only wish I had done it 41 years ago.

Although, I get to the range 2-3 times a week, I still enjoy every minute I am on the range shooting one of my handguns. It never gets old. For excitement, I enjoy doing a Ride-a-Long with the local police about every two weeks [although I do feel a bit naked without a gun on my hip].

Life is Good!

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good for you DLBConductor!

I'm a few more years away from retiring but when I do I hope my 2-3 times a month range outing becomes a 2-3 times a week trip like yours ;)

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Tomorrow is going to be a Range Day for me. A good problem to have is deciding what to take to the range! ;)

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Oh yeah. The planning, organizing and anticipation equal at least half of the fun of a "Range Day".

And yes, deciding which pistols or revolvers will be included in the trip is an important element in the equation. :) :)

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Every Tuesday is a guaranteed Range Day for me. It's the day I volunteer from 9:00 to 1:00 as an SRO at my club. Usually by 11:00 things really quiet down and I have the range to myself when most folks leave for the day.

I love Tuesdays! :)

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Every Tuesday is a guaranteed Range Day for me. It's the day I volunteer from 9:00 to 1:00 as an SRO at my club. Usually by 11:00 things really quiet down and I have the range to myself when most folks leave for the day.

I love Tuesdays! :)
For years us old timers would go to the range on Tuesday mornings and shoot till lunch. Then tell lies about how well we did over burgers. Then about a year ago there was a big falling out among members and now half go on Wednesdays and the other half goes on Thursdays and then part of us avoid those times because we don't want to pick sides.

The falling out was about having to have a background check to be a member. Some of the guys had been members for 40 years and didn't think they needed to have a background check ran. The people pushing for it only wanted new members to be fingerprinted. I hate politics.:mad:

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bummer, sounded like you guys had some great fellowship going on. :(

I don't see why after all those years the "powers to be" couldn't just "grandfather" those memberships.

I'll bet that was some fun times while it lasted though...

·
Banned
163 Posts
Don't want to be an ass, but one of the best things about living in the country, is being able to do what I did this afternoon. Step out the back door on my deck and let it rip.

Reb

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Bummer, sounded like you guys had some great fellowship going on. :(

I don't see why after all those years the "powers to be" couldn't just "grandfather" those memberships.

I'll bet that was some fun times while it lasted though...
Thats the thing, they were going to grandfather the oldtimers. It was a fight over nothing but ended with two members in a slugfest on the range one day.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Don't want to be an ass, but one of the best things about living in the country, is being able to do what I did this afternoon. Step out the back door on my deck and let it rip.

Reb
I see your a couple hours from me. I too can step out the back door and shoot my handguns. My reloading press is about 30 feet away so working up loads doesn't take long. My problem is I can go through lots of ammo so I have to limit my shooting.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see your a couple hours from me. I too can step out the back door and shoot my handguns. My reloading press is about 30 feet away so working up loads doesn't take long. My problem is I can go through lots of ammo so I have to limit my shooting.

I'd be in shootin' heaven if I were able to "shoot out my back door". I envy you guys. ;)

But maybe it is a good thing after all that I do have to drive 15 miles to the range or I'd be out of ammo! :eek:

·
Registered
597 Posts
I look forward to range days either Friday afternoon or Sat for outdoors and Sunday indoor. I have my stuff packed up after I clean from previous range visit ready to go into the car the night before range day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am going to go one day during the week next week. Our best local range is a public range, on a State wildlife refuge. Weekends can be really busy. My work is such that I sometimes have some free time during the week. Then in three weeks, my son and his family are coming to visit. My son wants he and I to do a night fishing grouper trip while he is down. But I am hoping we can get to the range one day too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts