Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After cleaning, lubing and spending some time racking the slide and dry firing, I took my new Kahr CM9 to the range today. I fired the recommended 200 rounds of ammo which was a mix of target and SD ammo in this order:

1. Winchester: "White Box" 115gr FMJ - 100 rds.
2. Aguila: 124gr FMJ (cheap Mexican target ammo) - 50 rds.
3. Remington: Golden Sabre 124 JHP - 25 rds.
4. Hornaday: "Critical Defense" 115gr FTX - 25 rds.

The Kahr performed flawlessly up until my second to last mag for the day, and then had a malfunction with the Hornady ammo. It failed to feed into the chamber from the mag. I had to drop the mag and then the round fell through clear. I was a bit disappointed as I almost had a perfect debut performance, and I hoped that the Hornadys would perform the best out of the bunch. I don't believe I did anything wrong, so considering I had no issues firing any other ammo up until that point I'm leaning towards the ammo or at least that particular round being the problem. Also of note was that the gun was ice cold before firing after being in my trunk for 8hrs on a very cold WI day, and was fully warmed up and near broken in before the Hornady malfunction.

Besides performing flawlessly as well as being cheaper in price, I found the 124 gr Golden Sabres were a bit more controllable then the Hornady's. At this point, I'm strongly considering the Golden Sabres as my preferred carry load for SD. I believe both the 124gr Remington's and 124gr Aguilas seemed the most controllable, with the 115gr WWD's and 115gr Hornady's being the harshest, so I'm leaning towards sticking with the higher bullet weights for this gun.

My accuracy was another story, which was fair to poor in general shooting this type of gun for the first time, so I won't embarrass myself by posting photos of the targets (I'm used to shooting .38spl snubbies!).

Although I have fired small .380acp semis before (and not very well), this is my first outing firing a small 9mm semi-auto. I know it's a different beast and will take practice, and I'm confident I'll be able to shoot it good enough in the future.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only jam my sr40c had ever had was on Hornady CD. I think that rubber plug gets hung on the feed ramp sometimes. I carry Speer Gold Dots now.

Grats on the gun. Those small pistols are hard to hold onto sometimes and you'll get used to it. My Kel Tec p3at is not near as accurate as my sr40c but it'd get the job done if I needed it to.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Practice, practice, practice.
I love my CM9. It is what I carry more often
than anything else I own. But it does take time
and patience to get used to it. But when you do,
you will be very impressed with that little pistol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts