Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well took my Ruger SP101 3 inch .327 FM & my newly acquired Ruger GP100 WC & then my Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary custom Tactical I Tac folding stock. My Ruger GP100 WC Blued have to say very very happy and impressed with this revolver. The fit and finish just so so nice the fitting of the parts there are no lines to be seen the fit is that good. This gun performed really nice it was right on POA/POI at 7-10 yds. I was shooting .38 Special 130 grain fmj's Now my Ruger SP101 another story, getting frustrated keeps shooting to the left. Now this is a 2008 mfg revolver so the rear sight is windage adjustable only. Now to move the POI over to the right do I move the rear sight over to the right ?? The rear sight had been moved more over to the left. I was told plus the gun showed it when I bought it. NIB unfired! But shooting this revolver has been very frustrating. Today was shooting reloads .327 FM 94 grain LSWC with 9.5-10 grains of 2400. I also had a few factory loads the Fed. .327 FM 85 grain JHP and Fed AE 100 grain jsp. Seems with all loads its still shooting to the left??? I moved the rear sight so its more centered with the top strap will have to try it out again not sure what load to use on it?? You know with a .357/.38 Spec. a 158 grain is kind of a standard load for POI/POA scenario etc. Now my Ruger 10/22 Tactical with a folding ATI I Tac stock using CCI MINI Mags got it sighted in with my UTG 3-9x32 Bug Out scope it seemed to work fine. Took a bit of time to get it zeroed in but all worked out. Just not sure what to do with my Ruger SP101 .327 FM!!! But couldn't be happier with the results on the GP100 and my Ruger 10/22!!!:D:cool:;)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Sounds like a great time. How about a family picture? :D

To move POI to the right, move the rear sight left. How does it group?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just got back from the range where I shot my 357 M77 bolt, Blackhawk, and my SP101 327. My gun shot way right when I got it--I had to drift the front site, and adjust the back site. It is closer now. At 8 yards with handloads (100gr Rainiers over some 800-X) it is grouping easily within a 2" circle (better when I do my job).

But I also I'm having a tough time getting the groups on the bulls.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok here is my ? My original setup the rear sight was adj to the left say of the center of the revolver top strap in this setting it is shooting left of the point of aim! Seems to be doing this with everything from my reloads to factory loads. Now I have moved the rear sight to the right to the point that the sight picture is centered with the revolver top strap. My question now is to what load to use to get this damn thing to hit point of aim say at 7-10 yards. I actually loaded down just a tad so my loads were not too hot of loads etc. These SP101 .327 are making me want to get the .357 version instead kick quite a bit. My loads are tamed down from the American Eagle .327FM 100 grain jsp's

·
Registered
415 Posts
The following two loads are working well--though they may still need more tweaking.

One is 12.0 grains of IMR 4227 with CCI 550 primers loaded to a COAL of 1.350, with a moderate roll crimp on Rainier 100 grain JHP plated bullets.

The other is 6.5 grains of 800-X with CCI 550 primers loaded to a COAL of 1.450, with a moderate roll crimp on Hornady 100 grain XTP JHP bullets.

I shot a few hotter loads (12.7 gr H110, same primer and COAL with XTPs) and they didn't seem quite as good. I also have some mild loads using 85 gr XTPs that I am going to try in my LCR but have not as yet.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have H110 some Unique, a ton of 2400 my loads with 2400 with the Meyer 94 grain hardcast LSWC are 10 grains and then a did some 9.5 grain chg. I have some of the Rainier 100 grain brass plated HP bullets coming in they should be here tomorrow might have to stoke up some of those. I really want a pleasant plinking load to shoot. My 9.5 chg of 2400 w/ the 94 grain LSWC wasn't too bad my issue is the shooting to the left!! Thanks for your load data information!!! Also forgot to mention I have the Hornady XTP 85 grain jhp's

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Better results this time out!!!

Another trip to the range today, much better results with my SP101 .327 FM 3 inch. Today I was able to tweak the rear sight over to the right to center the POI/POA much more consistent. Providing I do my part!!! Much more concentration to get a firm hold on the Hogue Wood grips and much better results if I do my part! My reloads are what I was using to center the point of aim/impact etc. I am using a chg of 9 grain's of 2400 with a 94 grain Meyer Hard Cast LSWC. Now the GP100 Wiley Clapp well that is a sweetheart of a gun there! So much easier to shoot and get good groups from the get go. Of course a larger & heavier gun compared to my SP101. I did remove the glow in the dark bright orange paint on the front sight blade on the SP101. Kinda thinking maybe just a single white dot on the front sight blade might help?? My old eyes need some help. There isn't currently a Tritium dot or night sight, XS Dot or even a Hi-Viz front sight blade for my model of SP101!! I brought my targets home so I will add a family picture soon with my latest the G100 WC & my SP101 .327 FM.:D:cool:;)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I added a Tritium front sight to my SP101 and it really helped me shoot the gun better.

Sounds like a good part of your initial issue with the SP101 was getting the wind age adjusted. My own SP101 is the model with fixed sights (3") and I am lucky that Ruger did a great job such that the gun shoots dead on at 25 feet.

Yes, the GP100 is a sweet shooter as the OP discovered.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The newer Ruger LCR's Ruger added a white stripe on the front sight. My .22Mag LCR came with a black front blade sight. I got some acrylic white paint and basically duplicated the newer Ruger LCR front sight blade. The white striped front sight that I put on my LCR really helped me to see the front sight easier. I was going to upgrade originally to the Hi-Viz front sight. But why now, this is why I am thinking now of doing the same on my SP101 .327FM 3inch barrel. This version of SP101 in .327 very limited in sights! Nothing in night sights etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts