Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know y’all like to gather round the fire here to talk about Rugers, and so do I, but sometimes a guy just gets a hankering for something Ruger don’t make.

Like a mouse gun.

Yup, so I decided I needed a mouse gun to carry in my pocket, as a BUG, or for just plain carry when a big ‘ol Ruger just seems too big and heavy.

So while I was at Cabela’s the other day, I was standing at the used handgun counter just kinda drooling, when my XYL (ex young lady) came up and said “gee, that one’s kinda cute!”

The object of her attention, and mine, was a Walther PPK/S in .380, made in the US, by S&W, I think.

Now I know all the “slide bite” stories that have been around, but I also know some folks who swear they are the best mouse guns ever made. So I looked closer.

And this is what I saw:

The machine work on these things is the personification of perfection. Things fit together like no other handgun I’ve ever looked at close up, and the bluing looks like it is thick enough to be able to look right into. It fits in my hand like it was tailor-made for it and has a heft and a feel you don’t get with a polymer frame. It drips quality.

So I parted with too many hard earned dollars and brought it home. And now I am glad I did!

I went to the range last Monday and put a few magazines down range. The first two shots were off the paper as I cringed waiting for the slide bite…..which never happened. After that, it was child’s play to get all the rounds on the paper, and some actually in what resembled groups, in spite of the fact that my 65 year-old eyes can no longer focus on the front sight.

I like the sharp report of the little .380 round when it goes off, I like the stout but very manageable recoil you feel, and I like the fact that there is almost no muzzle flip. The recoil is almost all to the rear instead of up.

It is as accurate as your ability can make it. In the right hands, it would be dead nuts accurate.

Note the clearance between the thumb web and the slide:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I carried one for about two years...backup/off duty-feels great...I didn't get real good with it...had it armolloyed against rust and sold it at a loss...slimmer than most 9s and has been used by police in Europe in PP and PPK format in .32 and .380 since the 40s...slide bite comes from gripping wrong...I learned fast!!! Many times I pick one up and miss mine...never bought another...went to Stainless Chief and sold it...I'll bet there's ammo out there to make it bite lots harder than in the 70's---I'd hate to take a chestfull of ball!!! It comes in and out of a pants pocket real slick...being lefty I carried safety off all the time...wonder if S&W has ever thought of doing a DAO...hmmmm

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Great gun.
Have not tried the licensed Smith produced ones but hear that they are good.
I know its a .380 and not a .32 but i just gots to say it:
Bond-----James Bond.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah-but we can't get those hi-cap clips he had...[V]

..or the well-endowed partners....

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
[:eek:)]But it hits "like a brick through a glass window"[:p]:)

I'll quit now, don't want to hi-jack this thread.

Your walther is indeed a fine weapon and I bet she will settle in and you can get some good groups with her.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I dowanna get hit with a .22 CB cap...and .380 ball beats that exponentially...the only reason .380 hasn't killed more than it has is the price...a good one like Bunzo's takes some serious decision-making!!! Punks go with Hi-Point....or Lorcin....I gotta go wash my mouth out............

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The brick thru a plate glass window----that was the movie line comment made to bond about the 32 when they made him turn in his beretta. Yes i am a bond nut as well.;)
Hi-points, lorcins and so forth---do have a place in the gun community---but i'll save that for "the minefield".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts