Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to shoot the new Kel Tec PF9 today. Before going I had done some work on the internals so I will never know if this gun would have had a problem without the mods. I have sanded the barrel and slide as some have recommended on these guns. Everything done to reduce friction. Polished the ramp and chamber. I have some more to do on the frame but will take care of this later. Lastly, I did a little grinding with the Dremel on the magazine as recommended to help as the mag goes into the grip so wear was lessened on these parts.

First I wondered about the light weight of the little gun and recoil. With a thin rubber sleeve, I never felt any issues with recoil and discomfort. The gun was a pleasure to shoot! Fired 115 gr. FMJ Win. (white box) at seven yards. The target I slow fired shows 24 holes but the center red 10 dot and the 9 ring are shot up enough that more rounds were traveling through these holes. Three fliers were outside the 7 ring but the rest were inside the 7. The seven ring is a 5 1/2 in. diameter bullseye. Most of the shots fell in the 2 3/4 in. bullseye. With a rear sight drift adjustment the shots hit mainly where I aimed in the center. Later I shot some faster shots and found this did not ruin the grouping as much as I would have thought. The trigger pull is long but not a problem. I had no problems at all. I would now be curious to see how this gun would shoot out at further distances. (maybe a scope, LOL) It is a confidence builder. I was really impressed with the performance and how easy it was to do so well. If I have any problems later I will let you know. I can already tell that this gun is going with me a lot of places and this will begin tomorrow morning as I leave the house!

·
Banned
36 Posts
I'm glad you like your PF9 and that's all that really matters. I don't mean to be knocking your new pistol, but it just wasn't for me. First of all, I would not buy a gun that I had to start working on straight out of the box as you and others have done. The PF9 and the PM9 by Kahr, along with the LCP, were on my short list of summer carry guns. I would of liked a 9mm, but found them too heavy for summer pocket carry. I also dropped the PF9 for what I think is poor workmanship and the PM9 as too expensive. I also passed on the P3AT for poor fit and finish.

I've also heard the PF9 trigger was hard on the finger. Any issues with that?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I am not knocking your gun, so don't take this the wrong way. I am just telling you this so you will look out for it. I had the same gun as you, and the trigger return spring would keep falling out of the groove it rides in on the trigger bar. This would disable the pistol. I actually have read about this happening several times, both at the Kel-Tec owners web site and in an issue of American Rifleman and Shooting Illustrated. This happened to me with less than 300 rounds through the gun. I am under the impression that this only happened with the earlier guns, and the newer ones have a deeper groove in the bar and the spring wont ride out of it. Like I said, just telling you so you will be on the lookout for it. I think the Kel-Tec owners site has a discussion about the serial # range that this is common, so you might check that out.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Stoble, glad it's working out for you. I have a P-11 and it's a nice carry gun.
Shoots great and also more accurate than I imagined.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sounds like it will work out as a great little CCW. Gunman is right. I've read the same thing. It's not supposed to be a problem with the new frames, but I don't know the serial# range. I read that Kel Tec were replacing the returns with new guns. So if it should become a problem for you, I think you'll be taken care of.

My gf just got a Kel Tec P3AT 380. The fit and finish are far from great, but the little gun is a great shooter. I'd carry it. If I wouldn't, I wouldn't let her.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
kel-tec owners are a very loyal group as the company does strive to treat their customers right---and that has a large part to do probably with the loyality.

Each ke--tec model has serial number ranges as previlusly mentioned that has line changes/improvements. The good ole' p-11 in my opinion has been optimised to its best. I'm sure kel-tec will continue to improve on the designs and treat their customers right.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Kel Tec is a company that listened to the public and actually gave them the pistol they asked for in 9mm. The problems mentioned are often from earlier model guns and mine is a recent issue with a different frame, etc. I agree that if a person does not like to work on his gun initially then this is not the gun for them unless you have a friend do the smoothing. The work is simple and mainly involved some sandpaper. Probably less than has been mentioned with the GP100 or SP101. I like to work with my guns so it is a labor of love. The trigger is nice and I like it. Similar to a double action revolver. Since the gun is new the bugs have to be worked out as many new guns have. A dealer said he learned some highway patrolmen recently got 40 of these guns for backup. If true, someone else must be satisfied with their PF-9's also. Since I am back from shooting and the gun is now dirty, I guess I'll have to clean it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
deputy125,... I agree with you on your statement... +1...<:))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts