Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a review of a full-size model 1911-style semiautomatic pistol in .22 LR.
It has a 5" barrel and rosewood grips & comes with a 10-round magazine. This is stamped made in Germany & Google says it's made for SIG by GSG.

This is my stepsons 1st pistol purchase. He brought it over to my wife & I NIB & asked us to check it out & take it to the range. I did not take down the pistol, but did check the bore clear & checked its cycling & function & it was good to go.

The feel of this pistol is pure 1911, though at 32oz; it is a little lighter.
In a quick internet search, the major complaints where the finish does not wear well & is a little thin & with holster use it does show wear & tear. This was from a user with 30,000 rounds through his. Their where also feeding/ejection issues reported by some, but that complaint seem mixed. The other issue was the dis-assembly, though it does look like a 1911, on take-down, the similarity rapidly stops. Basically, you pull the slide back very slightly, remove the slide stop & under it is another pin you push out & a hex-head set screw you remove, so it is not tool free. Here is a link to a brief video if you are interested in the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QftWJSniFNk

At the range, from the start, this pistol was impressive, with not one feeding or ejection issue & very good accuracy, using Remington Golden Bullets (36 grain HP).
200 rounds down range was very pleasing, as the added weight, compared to most .22LR pistols, eliminates any recoil or muzzle flip. It does say on the slide the caliber is .22LR HV ( High Velocity). I am starting to wonder if the people having cycling issues were maybe using standard velocity rounds.

Excellent function, good accuracy & 1911 styling for a street price of $350, if you shop wisely. Cabela's actually has a package on sale with 2 mags & a holster in a hard case for about $360 in olive drab vise the black shown here.
[URL="[/URL]
[URL="[/URL]

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, the take-down was not hard at all, just different than a standard 1911, and the pistol was amazingly clean after it's 1st 200 rounds.

Also, the slide is very very light & appears to be some type of zinc alloy & I lubed it very well to help in cycling.

·
Registered
995 Posts
They're great guns. I have the GSG (exact same gun as the Sig), it's one of my favorites for sure.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
They are decent pistols. I have the GSG 922(think 3" 1911) and the similar full size Umarex/Colt 1911. Both function perfectly, are plinker accurate, and simulate the full size operation of the 1911. They are not target pistols, or last for your children, and grandchildren to inherit. As long as you understand the limitations, and realize they do have a lifespan, they are fun shooters that give reliable service. From durability tests, it appears that when you get above 50,000 rounds, the slides will fail. This is because of the zinc construction, as zinc is soft, and isn't as well suited for long term durability, as steel and aluminum.

A 1911 style pistol, chambered in 22LR is a lot of fun. I have enjoyed shooting both my examples. They feel good in your hands, and look great. There is just something about the style of the 1911 that is truly timeless.

Im sure your stepson will enjoy his new pistol. There are many aftermarket items for the GSG/Sig 1911 22 pistols that allow you to customize, and increase its performance. One thing I did to my GSG was buy the magazine extensions and +4 followers. This allows 15 rounds in the magazine, and still allows for the last shot hold open to function. Lots of ammo for increased plinking fun. Whats not to like?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts