Ruger Forum banner

Range Report P89 with Burris Fast Fire 3 ... 01.24.23

3K views 58 replies 16 participants last post by  maddmatter1970 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, to say the least, this was by far the most expensive range visit I have ever encountered. Total time at the range give or take 25 minutes and a total round count of 7 ... yes folks 7! Cost for firing 7 rounds in 25 minutes an even $15.

Here's the problem. Took the P89 with my new Burris FF3 on it. So far so good. Put target out at my normal 21' and fired off 4 rounds no issues. On round #5 the battery retention cap came flying back and smacked me in the face. My initial thought was the force of the slide coming back ejected the whole top part of the sight off, but alas only the battery retention cap came flying back, including battery. So i found said cap and battery and "screwed it back on" and fired off round #6. Same damn thing happened. Now I'm pissed, annoyed and aggravated beyond measure. Found said cap and battery AGAIN and "screwed it back on" and fired off round #7. Same @#$%^&&^%$@# result. Found said cap and battery and home I went.

Got home and called Burris Customer Service and talked to a gentleman who kindly issued a RMA number. While talking with him, he indicated if I had tried any other manufacturers batteries? I said no and asked why, he replied "that they had a supply of batteries that were slightly out of spec and thus would not allow the cap to screw on and tighten up correctly". I said I would try that, but in the mean time he would go ahead and issue the return authorization.

Well, after going to THREE stores I finally found the correct battery. The first two stores were all out of them. Got home and tried the battery in the sight. The battery retention cap appears to screw down correctly and tightly. So now I need to get BACK to the range and see what happens. IF it solves the problem then it's all good. If the cap and battery go flying off AGAIN, then I will execute the return authorization.

Based on the first 7 shots, she seems to be up to the challenges of the Ruger P89. Not sure which holes correspond to which rounds but regardless the sight shows some promise.
Automotive tire Fixture Rim Circle Spoke

See less See more
#5 ·
Most of todays optics take the 2032 battery. For some reason the Fast Fire takes the 1632. Sometimes hard to find. I have a Fast Fire III, 3 MOA in my squirrel pile. They are a solid sight. I'm assuming from your group size that yours is a 3 MOA also. Plenty good for pistol shooting.

I had the Burris on my Mini 30 and even with the 3 MOA dot it shot center mass at 200 yards on a man sized silhouette. I retired the Burris and have been running the 1 MOA Trijicons on the rifles.

Keep us filled in.
Bepe

#8 · (Edited)
The Fast Fire also has the top load for the battery. A pain to get at. My RMR's have the bottom load that is a breeze. Only issue is removing the sight from the mount to access it.

The SRO I just got has the top load battery almost identical to the Fast Fire but worse because it is tucked under the hood. A real PITA.

Get the Energizer Lithium batteries if you can find them. Excellent life on them.

Bepe

#11 ·
The Fast Fire also has the top load for the battery. A pain to get at. My RMR's have the bottom load that is a breeze. Only issue is removing the sight from the mount to access it.

The SRO I just got has the top load battery almost identical to the Fast Fire. A real pain to get at.

Get the Energizer Lithium batteries if you can find them. Excellent life on them.

Bepe
The only brand i could find was Durracell Lithium ...

#15 ·
Well that's wild, had no issue with mine. You got the dimensions on the correct battery? # of a better one, manufacture brand?

Not bad on the target, just need a little more time with it. How did you like not having to line up to irons? other than the battery issue?

#24 ·
I generally always always do. Today was the exception to the rule. I wasn't sure how easy or hard it was going to be to zero in ... needless to say it was pretty spot on thanks to the bore sighting done over the weekend ...

#50 · (Edited)
Fixing things is NOT what politicians can do any more. It’s all about talking points and bs. I agree, why not fix the roof. But working together to fix anything is totally against what politicians or either party does. The country has become so polarized they will let the house rot away to the ground before they do anything bipartisan just to keep the other side from any getting credit for accomplishing anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.