Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as one or two of you may recall, I have a new S&W 617 to compliment my Ruger SP101 .22LR. I love .22LR and I love revolvers, so I wanted one of each.

I have been experimenting with different recoil springs for the S&W 617. Tried a Wilson Combat and tried the Wolf kit spring. Both resulted in light strikes so I am back with the stock spring.

With the stock spring the S&W 617 has a decent trigger but it is on the stiff side. My SP101 has the Wolf Spring Kit, and the Ruger with this kit is no better than the 617, so I will score one for S&W. Both are good guns.

I shot 400 rounds of Winchester Goldens and 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mag through the S&W today. Only had 3 FTFs, which I am going to call OK. The gun has now had about 1200 rounds through it, and the trigger has smoothed out very nicely. I am completely happy with the gun.

Some pics:

The Smith with the Ruger

The Smith in all her glory:

Either of these guns would be a fine varmint, desert, or camping gun, and both are lots of fun at the range.

·
Registered
629 Posts
As much as I love ruger revolvers, man that S&W is so very nice!!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice guns, Redleg!
Any opinion on which is more accurate?
Thanks, Tuscon. The S&W is considerably more accurate due to the long sight radius. The Ruger is pretty accurate though.

When I am shooting well with the Smith I can tear a ragged hole in the Bull's-eye at 30 feet shooting double action. It is a really accurate gun.

Both are good range guns and both would be fun to carry in the desert as varmint guns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts