Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Range Report... "THE JUDGE"

This Gun has a Medium Frame ~ It's just a Puppy ~ hehehe...<:))

Ahhhhhh, the Smell of Black Powder Burning in the Morning... "S W E E T" ...<:)) See Pics...

I said that I would get to the Range, and shoot all the listed AMMO...
Well I did, and I will tell you what I liked...

1) Black Dawge's Black Powder~Most Fun you can have at the Range shooting Double Action as fast as you can empty that Wheel... Just like a Cannon... A column of Smoke rolls out there about 10 feet, and a foot in Diameter... hehehe Cool...<:))

2) SilverTip Hollow Points~These were most accurate... I think the Jacket took the rifling the Best...<:)) It's a Killer... You know I will have two of these in Hole #4 & #5 of that Wheel...<:))

3) 7 1/2 & 6's Shot Winchester Super X HS~Snakes aren't going to like these...!!!...<:))

4) 4 Shot Winchester Super X HS~Bad Guy won't like these...!!! Good Pattern & Damn near went through a 2x4...Maybe some did...!!! OUCH...!!!...<:))

5) OOO BuckShot (.360)(3 Balls) ~ These are down right Killers, for Home Defense... Just Point and Shoot... not Aim and Shoot...<:)) I feel a little tingle Knowing what these Babe's will do...<:))

6) Rifled SLUG Hollow Points~Absolutely useless in this gun... The Gun don't shoot them... It Spits them... Hyper Fast~97Gr.~Don't touch the Rifling~some of them Key-Holing...

7) Nickel John Wayne's~Nice Big Bang... 250Gr. ... You know it's Deadly...

8) RNFP ULTRAMAX~Nice light shooter... You could shoot this all day at targets, and the Lady's Like this one the Best...

9) A-MERC~Good general Round... It will Kill anything you Hit With It...<:))

AMMO List:

45 Colt 250 Gr. LFN Winchester Nickel John Wayne's
45 Colt 200 Gr. RNFP ULTRAMAX
45 Colt 250 Gr. RNL A-MERC
45 Colt 235 Gr. RNFP GEOX Black Dawge's Black Powder
45 Colt 225 Gr. Winchester SilverTip Hollow Points +P Super X

.410 HighBrass 7 1/2 Shot Winchester Super X HS
.410 HighBrass 6 Shot Winchester Super X HS
.410 HighBrass 4 Shot Winchester Super X HS
.410 HighBrass OOO BuckShot (3 Balls) Winchester Super X HS
.410 HighBrass Rifled SLUG Hollow Points Winchester Super X HS

<center>
</center>
<center>
</center>
<center>
</center>

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Like the song in "Grease" ---- tell me more, tell me more!
How was the accuracy of the 45? Try any 15yd shooting?
How was the double action on her?
This handgun i believe has huge poetential!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deputy125,... We were using 25 Yard targets at 25 Yards (that's is as close as we could set up a target)... 45LC~If the Bad Guy was only 8" in diameter, he would be pretty safe shooting Off Hand (not Target Sites) But most people are bigger than that, so the Bad Guy would loose...<:)) OOO BuckShot 3 Balls~ Bad Guy can't stand still~Can't go Right or Left because He's going to get Hit, so Bad Guy would Loose...<:)) This Gun can Throw so much SHEET down Range that there would be no safe place except a Fox Hole...<:)) Bullets were hitting Targets 100 Yards down range and hitting the Berm...!!! (was not aiming at them targets)..!!! Bullets Flying, and Ricocheting all over the place and hitting the 100 Yard Berm...hehehe It would not be safe to be standing anywhere Near the Front of "THE JUDGE"...!!!...<:))
All I can say is that if you were standing 25 Yards down Range and got shot with the .410 7 1/2 Shot you wouldn't die,... But you would be hit and be having to get the Tweezer OUT... Them 7 1/2's were going through the 1/4" backer board...<:-((

Next Range Trip, will be a Indoor Range so we can do some Close In Shooting~ 7yd,15yd,...

I got to resupply with some AMMO... I got Guy's lining up to go to the Range next...<:)) They all want to shoot the Black Powder GEOX Black Dawge's (got to get a extra box of them) should be real interesting shooting them in a Indoor Range...hehehe...<:))

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
BP on an indoor range???
Have the camera ready for the reactions!!!!

Is the double action good or a bit sluggish having to index that big cylinder?

·
Registered
589 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

That gun makes more sense than any shotshell...Dear Santa.....
I'm with you on that Sheepdog. I saw one of these or something similar years ago and it comes to back to me every time I run across a big copperhead in the woods. I don't really mind snakes but it P's me off when then duck into the ground cover when I walk up on them and I can't tell exactly where their at.

This whole subject has renewed my interest.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deputy125,... Well here's the Scoop... The pull through to cycle a Tube, is not a problem at all... Its a nice Smooth stroke of the Trigger... The Taurus Field Rep. said 2 seconds to empty all 5 tubes...!!! That's not realistic... When I shot 5 tube's in double action, it was more like 5 seconds... Take about a second shoot, and pull that Barrel back down on the Bull for another shot...!!! I never tried holding the Gun sideways, like the BOY's in the Hood...hehehe... Its about 1/3 the Trigger Pull 2.7 Lbs. if the Gun is Cocked...

All I know from testing, is that "THE JUDGE" loaded up with 5 Tubes Full of OOO Buckshot (.360) 3 Per Tube, 15 Total...!!! Is that its going to Rain HELL on who ever is in front of it...!!! A Bad Guy could not Hide from that curtain of HELL...<:))

One thing I did find out, was that I could Quickly Index to a Round of Choice...<:)) You can't do that with a AutoLoader...!!!
I currently, after that trip to the Range, have the Tubes loaded like this:
(#1~.410 6's)
(#2~.410 4's)
(#3~.410 OOO Buck)
(#4~45LC SilverTip Hollow Point +P)
(#5~45LC SilverTip Hollow Point +P)

When the Wife yells SNAKE...!!! When she's out in the Yard... That's Her Hobby... She finds all the SNAKES... That's what that #6 shot in number one Tube is for... And the Tubes Just Get Nastier From There...<:))

Q.) why the abreviation for pounds is Lbs. and not Pds???

A.) Lb. is short for libra, which is the latin word for the Roman version of the pound.

The symbol pd is used for per diem, a unit of frequency meaning once per day.

·
Registered
589 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SgtKnuckles

One thing I did find out, was that I could Quickly Index to a Round of Choice...<:)) You can't do that with a AutoLoader...!!!
Very Good Point often overlooked. When I carry my SP in the woods it is loaded with two rounds of snake shot (it is fairly effective at close range) and three rounds of DPX. I practice indexing the cylinder which is quite easy to get to the DPX if a coyote gets within 25 yards. I have been planing on getting another GP100 or redhawk but now I am not sure what I want[?]

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
REB,... That Large Frame RedHawk is a Hunting Gun, and that "JUDGE" is just a Medium Frame 29 ounce, SnubNose 3", Home Defense Gun... I would say if you really want to reach out and hit the Bulls Eye, the RedHawk is your Gun... Yup, your right REB... you got some thinking to do...<:))

http://tinyurl.com/25d4ou

Ruger .45/.454 Super Redhawk
Checking in at 58 ounces--almost four pounds with a 9 1/2-inch barrel--the Super Redhawk is presently chambered for the .44 Magnum, .480 Ruger and a combination of .45 Colt/.454 Casull. Barrel lengths include both the 7 1/2- and 9 1/2-inch barrels for general hunting chores and a shorter 2 1/2-inch Alaskan in the .480 Ruger and the .45 Colt/.454 Casull for those sportsmen who feel the need to carry a large-caliber gun in bear country. Choice of finish presently consists of a satin stainless and a Low-Glare stainless in the proprietary Target Grey coating.
<center>
</center>

·
Registered
589 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SgtKnuckles

REB,... That Large Frame RedHawk is a Hunting Gun, and that "JUDGE" is just a Medium Frame 29 ounce, SnubNose 3", Home Defense Gun... I would say if you really want to reach out and hit the Bulls Eye, the RedHawk is your Gun... Yup, your right REB... you got some thinking to do...<:))
SgtKnuckles
I have it covered on the SRH end of the spectrum.

But it is a little much for a summertime woods carry gun.

I was planing on a 4" GP100 but the new 4" redhawk has made me think twice about the GP100. The RedHawk although bigger than the GP is still significantly smaller than the Super RedHawk.
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5026&return=Y

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
REB,... That's one Nice piece of "S W E E T S T E E L" you have there...<:)) Ya, a 4" Barrel will let that RedHawk Hunt... That RedHawk KRH-444 looks Nice and Beefy...

Also REB,... here's some Independent Info that You, and Deputy125 were looking for ~ Rifling, and 15Yd Performance...<:))

Rate of Twist: 1:12"
Grooves: 6 shallow

Here is a Nice Mini Review of the Taurus M410 "Judge"
http://tinyurl.com/32ey3n

kansas45,... There is a FUN Factor about this Gun, that's hard to explain... I'm still trying to figure it out... There is a Elegance to that Long Cylinder, and all the Fun AMMO it Gobbles Up, and being a Polished Model that separates it from Utility Combat Iron... It just puts a smile on your face, that just can't be wiped off...<:)) This Gun just has a whole different Attatude... Just to tell you how it adjusts your attitude, when I go to the Range next, I'm going to fill Sandwich Bags with an assortment of AMMO, and just hand them out like its Halloween, and put "THE JUDGE" on the Lane Bench, and let them Guy's have a ball...<:))

1 - 12 of 12 Posts