Ruger Forum banner

Range rod for .45

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Iowegan 
#1 ·
I've tried to use my new Brownell range rod to check the timing on a NM Blackhawk .45. The rod will only go about a half inch into the muzzle and will go no further. Micrometer says .4415 for rod. So do I have an over sized range rod or a too tight bore? If I recall correctly, I believe Iowegan recommends .439 for a range rod. If so, wonder why Brownell ships .4415. Newbie here, so school me on my situation.

#2 ·
M721, The Range Rods I make are .439" for 45 cal. The rod needs to fit the bore snug yet have just enough space to move freely. Something is bad wrong if they sent you a .4415 rod ?????

I started making more advanced Range Rods like in the below photo. Except for 22 cal (top 2 in photo) all centerfire rods are 1/4" with a properly sized head that fits squeaky tight in a slightly crimped chambered case.

I quit making and using Range Rods when I discovered you could get a decent endoscope for 20 bucks. I now connect the endoscope to my laptop and can see any obstruction in the bore plus cylinder-to-bore alignment.

#4 · (Edited)
Here's the best deal I could find …. less than 20 bucks and it comes with adapters for most applications (PC, laptop, and some smart phones). It also has a very close focal distance so you can see details in the bore just fine. I use mine with a Windows 10 laptop (normal USB port) and it worked without any additional software or apps …. just click on "camera" then "change camera" and you are good to go. It will work with virtually any bore 22 LR and larger.

https://www.amazon.com/Seesi-Endosc...fRID=1M65VTP8N4JFX6Y50272#feature-bullets-btf

#7 ·
FireEscape, There are several brands that work much the same but may cost a bit more. What you want is a camera that will focus at an inch or so …. not at feet. You also want a diameter that will fit in a 22 LR barrel ...ie 5.5mm or less. If 22 cal barrels are not important, you can find several endoscopes with 7mm cameras that will work in most centerfire rifles and handguns. Most endoscopes come with a semi-ridged cable that is way too long for guns, however if you coil up the excess, they work just fine. Another issue is the connector that couples the camera to a PC, laptop, or cell phone. You can buy a wireless connection (blue tooth) that will work with most smart phones. If you use a laptop or desktop PC or MAC, a USB connector is needed. Google "endoscope" and you will get a large selection to choose from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.