Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went to a range today to burn off a bunch more of the loose-packed Remington hollow points that were about all I could find, about 8 years ago. A group of four young (~ 25 YO, give or take) guys showed up and set up. A cease-fire was called at some point, and they went and set up targets. Next cease-fire, they were wandering all over their area, back and forth up to the firing line and fiddling with their guns, in spite of being reminded repeatedly by the Range Safety Officer to move away from the firing line. I think that the RSO used pretty strong restraint in not giving them what-for. They kept going up and back, too. :mad: I've been on ranges where that behavior got people a bawling-out over the PA system. Next time I go to that range, if it happens again, I will explain (while wearing my NRA CFI hat) that I won't be patronizing their range any more since they can't maintain range safety. Crazy stuff. I have kicked people off the range, before, for that kind of behavior. SMH

Just wanted to vent. Thanks for the opportunity! I feel better, now! :D

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Maybe it's just me but owning and using a Firearm is the biggest responsibilities one can have.
Seems to be the Mind Set of some that Rules Do Not Apply to them Rules are for Other People to abide by.
This behavior should Never be tolerated and be dealt with accordingly.
Sad that some people just Do Not Get It.
Glad to hear that Safety is at the top of your list and it makes others enjoy their time at the Range.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The last two times we went to our club: One time there were two young guys at the upper range where I wanted to shoot. The first time we asked if they minded if we shared the shooting pavilion and they said that was fine. They were extremely respectful of us and especially of all the range rules and commands. The one was helping the other one to learn to shoot, and we wound up giving him some pointers before we left, for which we received a big thank you. And today there was a young couple getting ready to shoot the steel plates. Again, we asked - this time, if I could sight in a gun, saying it would only take a few minutes. The young fellow was most cooperative and even came to watch and chat a bit.

That is how it should be.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Unfortunately there are those who just don’t get it. This not also applies to those who have better things to do than to following rules but also to those who have been placed in the position of ensuring the rules are followed. If repeated warnings are issued and ignored then another course of action seems appropriate to me. Sometimes you actually have to be able to assert yourself or intervene when put in these type of positions and ensure safety rules are being folllowed or enforced when necessary.

Hard to say without more intimate knowledge if this was just a failure with this one RSO or the way this range is being operated. If it were me and it was consistent with how the range is being operated I wouldn’t frequent that range. If it weren’t consistent I think I would be having a conversation with the manager about my concerns. No hat should be required.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Last time I went to a public range, the supposed range officer was in her vehicle in the parking lot, about 25 feet from me, and about 100 feet from the firing line.

A younger crowd, just seemed to be doing things willy nilly.
I promptly left BEFORE I got boxed in by ambulances & Police..

Never been back there.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This range used to be staffed quite a bit by some off-duty police officers, but maybe on a Sunday afternoon they have families to be with, which I don't blame them at all. It might have been different, in that case. There were two RSOs, one older and one younger. The younger one appeared to be a friend of at least one of the guys. Even he couldn't get them to quit poking around with their guns during the cease-fire.

It crossed my mind that maybe the RSOs didn't want to lean too hard, because maybe the guys would shoot the place up if they got ejected from the range. You just never know, these days. If they (in my mind) intentionally ignore the RSO, where does it stop? The guy has a bull horn, I'm certain that they heard him tell them repeatedly to move away from the firing line. I can see that attitude when someone is 2 years old, but not adults, and especially not on a gun range. Crazy. I'll talk to my son about how we will behave if they show up again when we are there. We'll likely just leave.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
That is exactly why I don't go to public ranges anymore. I have all the portable makings of a range out here in the desert fortunately, and where I set up I've got a canyon on either side of me which prevents someone from setting up along side of me. There is only one lane in which to shoot, and I can set up out to 500+ yards. My sons and grandsons enjoy coming out in the fall and winter and shooting with "grandpa" at his personal range, not to mention my granddaughters when ever they have the "want to", and my wife is included.

·
Exchequer
4,503 Posts
If I see unsafe behavior at a range and feel it may put me in danger, I pack up my gear and leave ...letting the staff know about it as I head out the door.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
This range used to be staffed quite a bit by some off-duty police officers, but maybe on a Sunday afternoon they have families to be with, which I don't blame them at all. It might have been different, in that case. There were two RSOs, one older and one younger. The younger one appeared to be a friend of at least one of the guys. Even he couldn't get them to quit poking around with their guns during the cease-fire.

It crossed my mind that maybe the RSOs didn't want to lean too hard, because maybe the guys would shoot the place up if they got ejected from the range. You just never know, these days. If they (in my mind) intentionally ignore the RSO, where does it stop? The guy has a bull horn, I'm certain that they heard him tell them repeatedly to move away from the firing line. I can see that attitude when someone is 2 years old, but not adults, and especially not on a gun range. Crazy. I'll talk to my son about how we will behave if they show up again when we are there. We'll likely just leave.

If these type of incidents are allowed to occur no matter the reason I wouldn't go there. But as you said when off duty police are on duty they do not. So I think it might be possible a talk with management expressing your concerns might be in order before I would give up on that location. That and maybe finding out when or if off duty police still work there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Was at an indoor range, gent came in and took the lane next to me. He was shooting a single action revolver. He would shoot then bring the barrel up to 12 o clock as he cocked the gun while keeping his finger inside the trigger guard.

I walked to the far end of the line and let the RO know. He waited until I was back in my lane then walked down the line, spoke to the gent and stepped back. Apparently the gent didn't like being reprimanded as he just packed up and left. Okay by me as I felt better not having to think about what was happening next to me.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Was at an indoor range, gent came in and took the lane next to me. He was shooting a single action revolver. He would shoot then bring the barrel up to 12 o clock as he cocked the gun while keeping his finger inside the trigger guard.

I walked to the far end of the line and let the RO know. He waited until I was back in my lane then walked down the line, spoke to the gent and stepped back. Apparently the gent didn't like being reprimanded as he just packed up and left. Okay by me as I felt better not having to think about what was happening next to me.

His choice, but as long as he no longer presented an issue at the range.

This does however remind me of one of the reasons I liked the military. If a correction like this was made in the military the individual was forced to suck up his or her pride and correct their behavior. They would just have to get over themselves and they wouldn't have a choice. A few minutes of embarrassment might just equal a lifetime worth of learned lesson.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
When I lived in NJ. I became a member of a LGS which had a 8 port indoor range which was also open to the public. The ROs very helpfully to new shooters. What turned me off to it was that most of the new shooters wanted to do was burn up as much ammo as they could in a hour not really trying to learn the fundamentals of the sport. Even with the ROs close by I started to feel very uneasy going there. Not to mention the last 2 times I went there it was closed because of suicides that's 2 in 3 weeks 4 total.
That is when I decide to join a private gun club CJR&PC. It was expensive to join but it was well wroth it. Everyone there was eager to help anyone who need it and never a unsafe moment the whole time I was a member. That is the only thing I miss about NJ.
Been to a few pvt.clubs close to my new home in NC. just a matter of picking one.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I joined a private club for many of the same reasons mentioned here. I used to go to a public rental range. I felt unsafe shooting next lane over from someone who rented a gun for the first time, has never taken a safety course, and is pointing it at me and the floor, ceiling etc.
Plus there were few suicides , and couldn't shoot there knowing that someone 's brains were splattered around in my lane.
I find the private club ....relaxing

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For some reason it won't play for me.

I can only imagine. One guy I knew used to reload his own ammo. He had a misfire on the range, so he looked down the barrel (IANMTU). RSO caught him, but he claimed he was "just looking down the side". :eek: He did it again later and was banned permanently from that range. I know about it from people who were there. If I was going to a place and found out that that guy was there, I'd stay home instead.

·
Registered
230 Posts
six months or so ago i was at the range, plinking with my MkIII Target...

in the middle of a magazine i felt a tap on my shoulder... so i dropped my mag and ejected the chambered round...

turned around, and there's a guy yammering at me, waving his (hopefully unloaded) S&W .22 Victory all over the place - except down range - blabbering about 'Hey, nice shootin'! How do you like my new Smith? How do you like these sights?' and on and on...

i was polite but firm, and informed him of range rules, weapons not leaving lanes unless empty and cased, and that he'd be thrown out if seen doing what he just did

i don't get it - it's like there's no common sense, nor any good weapons instruction any more...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
506 Posts
That is a bummer if you guys cant see that video .. it is close to the hieght of madman behavior and I think the RO could have been a bit more forceful.

Now while i have seen guys do things that make me cringe I did get to see something several weeks ago I thought was an urban legend.

A group next to my wife and I were in the two lanes next to us. They sounded Dutch or german .. sorry I couldn't tell exactly but .. use your imagination.

Being AZ is so gun friendly and we have ranges every few miles they are a tourist destination. Its great since they always leave smiling but ... sometimes

So a young guy, maybe in his early 20's has a problem with the 22 he rented. I am watching him because my radar is going off. He is moving the gun this way and that and fiddling with it ... then suddenly .. he points it dead at his face and looks down the barrel!!!!

Wooo Hooooo .. I have seen it all now.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Maybe it's just me but owning and using a Firearm is the biggest responsibilities one can have.
I would disagree with that............have and raising kids was my biggest responsibility.

Whenever I use one of the Missouri Dept. of Conservation ranges I have never experienced any problems, (I was offered a job there but turned down, pay was terrible, thy wanted me to volunteer). But they run a very tight ship, the RO's talk to everybody they don't recognize, they try to feel them out for level of experience, personal explain all the rules. They also will pay close attention to them just to make sure. Other than a guy blowing-up his AR nothing has happened

Who do you blame when things go wrong, the shooter....of course, the RO, definitely. These issues will never go away or cease to happen.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
six months or so ago i was at the range, plinking with my MkIII Target...

in the middle of a magazine i felt a tap on my shoulder... so i dropped my mag and ejected the chambered round...

turned around, and there's a guy yammering at me, waving his (hopefully unloaded) S&W .22 Victory all over the place - except down range - blabbering about 'Hey, nice shootin'! How do you like my new Smith? How do you like these sights?' and on and on...

i was polite but firm, and informed him of range rules, weapons not leaving lanes unless empty and cased, and that he'd be thrown out if seen doing what he just did

i don't get it - it's like there's no common sense, nor any good weapons instruction any more...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
When I was a Cub Scout leader, I used to run the BB gun range. The old Daisy guns are lever action. I had one kid that wasn't strong enough to cock it, so his momma was helping, and pointing the gun back at the waiting group. I had to grab the barrel several times to point it back downrange. Momma got pissed, and I told her that I had no qualm about her leaving the range. Believe it or not, that's the worst I've seen when running a range, all 15 years of Cub and Boy Scouting on gun ranges. The rules get laid down by me, and they all understand they're off the range if they screw up. I hear horror stories, but fortunately none happened to me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts