Ruger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
At the private club of which I am a member, there is no RSO, but a man lost his membership for just such a transgression as described by the OP. Not only did the transgresor loose his membership but in the next newsletter there was a write-up of the event reminding everyone what the expectation is and what to do if a situation like that occurs.

We as shooters have enough headwinds. We need to police our own because every safety violation that makes the news is just one more nail “they” will try to pound into our coffins. And yet people are surprised when a man is caught on video putting a gun to the head of his friend. Meanwhile our own fellow shooters not only ignore basic safety rules but stick a big old figurative middle finger at the people trying to keep everyone safe and having a good time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
At my local public range I swear people think cease fire means shoot 5 more rounds. Even with a one minute warning. I try skipping work in the afternoon on a week day to avoid all the knuckle heads. Always blows my mind when I go.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
At my local public range I swear people think cease fire means shoot 5 more rounds. Even with a one minute warning. I try skipping work in the afternoon on a week day to avoid all the knuckle heads. Always blows my mind when I go.
Don't you have anywhere safer you can go?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That range is pretty far from me (about 35 miles) but we went there because we figured that the nearer one would be more crowded. Guess I'll have to go with the crowd from now on. If someone crosses over to the firing line there, they get a bawling out from the RSO. It can get pretty brutal and embarrassing for the offender, but I have little sympathy. That's when somebody gets shot, and the "I thought it was unloaded, and I only wanted to..." excuse doesn't fly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Don't you have anywhere safer you can go?
Well I’m a member at a really nice indoor range but lanes only go to 30 yards. I had to sight in my 270 for hunting and the public range goes to 200 yards. I could go on some BLM land but it’s a little bit of a drive for me.

I will say trap shooting at this public range is a much better environment than the general range.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well I’m a member at a really nice indoor range but lanes only go to 30 yards. I had to sight in my 270 for hunting and the public range goes to 200 yards. I could go on some BLM land but it’s a little bit of a drive for me.

I will say trap shooting at this public range is a much better environment than the general range.
Just curious and I couldn't help but ask. I pretty much figured there was a reason why you made the choice you did. Sucks that your options aren't better but it does sound like you have options.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That range is pretty far from me (about 35 miles) but we went there because we figured that the nearer one would be more crowded. Guess I'll have to go with the crowd from now on. If someone crosses over to the firing line there, they get a bawling out from the RSO. It can get pretty brutal and embarrassing for the offender, but I have little sympathy. That's when somebody gets shot, and the "I thought it was unloaded, and I only wanted to..." excuse doesn't fly.

Although it sucks that they may choose a less PC method of getting the job done if given the choice I would always opt for the safer environment. Besides it sounds where they opt for the more PC environment they are too afraid to act and take the necessary steps to ensure a safer environment for all.

Your choice crowd and inconvenience where you have reason to believe you are more safe or convenience and a riskier environment.

I'm just glad at the outdoor membership range I go to that it is frequented by more mature older gentlemen who do not exhibit any of these ignorant, stupid, and unsafe activities.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I see that this thread got moved to an appropriate forum. I realized it should have been elsewhere after I posted it. Thanks! I'll learn my way around eventually.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just curious and I couldn't help but ask. I pretty much figured there was a reason why you made the choice you did. Sucks that your options aren't better but it does sound like you have options.
Yeah I do but to be honest it really came down to convience. My father in law lives 10 minutes from this range so I dropped off the wife and kiddos to visit him and headed there. Plus it was the first nice day in awhile and with the recent rain I’m not sure I would even be able to access BLM land as the road isnt very well maintained.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A group of four young (~ 25 YO, give or take) guys showed up and set up. Next cease-fire, they were wandering all over their area, back and forth up to the firing line and fiddling with their guns, in spite of being reminded repeatedly by the Range Safety Officer to move away from the firing line. Next time I go to that range, if it happens again, I will explain . . . that I won't be patronizing their range any more since they can't maintain range safety. :D
Once upon a time I had problems with my son ditching high school, and the school never notified until the problem became serious enough to put him on the verge of disenrollment.

So my wife and I went to have a discussion with the principal, and I told him this: “My son comes to school every day on the bus and leaves by the side door, and comes home on the bus. But when his teachers report him absent, why does Attendance wait for weeks to tell me my son hasn’t been at school? Do you know that his girlfriend lives within walking distance? What do you think would happen if, during school time, he were to get hit by a car while crossing the street? What if he were to get his girlfriend pregnant on school time? I would see you in court, that’s what would happen, because he’s on school time and under YOUR responsibility.” The realization hit the principal like a lightning strike, and his eyes opened wide and his jaw fell into his lap.

I never had a problem after that.

The moral of this long-winded story is this: Don’t just pack up and leave, and say you're never going back. Try talking to the RSO or the range manager about the on-going unsafe practices, and the civil liability they could face if someone were to get injured during a check-fire because of the RSO's inability/refusal to enforce the range rules. If, for example, during a check-fire those guys you mention were to accidentally fire off a round that hits someone, that range – and possibly the RSO himself - would be sued out of business because the RSO was in dereliction of his duty.

If you put the situation into concrete terms that can help the range officials see the seriousness of the problem, maybe that will help them take decisive action.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Crowded public outdoor range, two mature guys with hand guns down several stalls got chewed out by the RSO for crossing the line during cease fire.
I had completed my sight in, so I cased my cleared rifle and turned my stall over to another waiting for a place to open.
I went down and helped the two who had been yelled at and kept them out of trouble for the remainder of their session.
They were not dumb, just excited and inexperienced. They thanked me for helping them enjoy themselves and saving them from the embarrassment of being ejected.
One was a retired oral surgeon, the other a retired college professor.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,761 Posts
These stories remind me why I belong to my range. Members get concierge treatment and one or even two RSOs are on each range. It costs a bit monthly but I never see that sort of foolishness. Ever. If you are not a member and you forget your safety card, you rewatch the safety video and retake the quiz.

I usually go during the week, early afternoon, because I can. But during busy evenings they keep things in line, too.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Crowded public outdoor range, two mature guys with hand guns down several stalls got chewed out by the RSO for crossing the line during cease fire.
I had completed my sight in, so I cased my cleared rifle and turned my stall over to another waiting for a place to open.
I went down and helped the two who had been yelled at and kept them out of trouble for the remainder of their session.
They were not dumb, just excited and inexperienced. They thanked me for helping them enjoy themselves and saving them from the embarrassment of being ejected.
One was a retired oral surgeon, the other a retired college professor.

Cool, and of course you said the key word. These were two mature individuals who could use a little help. Unfortunately there's just too many immature individuals out there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Its not just the young !!

So, I went to a range today to burn off a bunch more of the loose-packed Remington hollow points that were about all I could find, about 8 years ago. A group of four young (~ 25 YO, give or take) guys showed up and set up. A cease-fire was called at some point, and they went and set up targets. Next cease-fire, they were wandering all over their area, back and forth up to the firing line and fiddling with their guns, in spite of being reminded repeatedly by the Range Safety Officer to move away from the firing line. I think that the RSO used pretty strong restraint in not giving them what-for. They kept going up and back, too. :mad: I've been on ranges where that behavior got people a bawling-out over the PA system. Next time I go to that range, if it happens again, I will explain (while wearing my NRA CFI hat) that I won't be patronizing their range any more since they can't maintain range safety. Crazy stuff. I have kicked people off the range, before, for that kind of behavior. SMH

Just wanted to vent. Thanks for the opportunity! I feel better, now! :D
I run the ranges for my local club and I can say that I have experienced more than my share of covers and not so accidental covers from the older members. Of the 1000 members in our club I doubt that 2% have had any kind of training; and never will. Its especially bad during hunting season and just before when every mother's sin wants range time to sight in a rifle he had sitting in the corner for a year.

So Frustrating

·
Registered
90 Posts
So, I went to a range today to burn off a bunch more of the loose-packed Remington hollow points that were about all I could find, about 8 years ago. A group of four young (~ 25 YO, give or take) guys showed up and set up. A cease-fire was called at some point, and they went and set up targets. Next cease-fire, they were wandering all over their area, back and forth up to the firing line and fiddling with their guns, in spite of being reminded repeatedly by the Range Safety Officer to move away from the firing line. I think that the RSO used pretty strong restraint in not giving them what-for. They kept going up and back, too. :mad: I've been on ranges where that behavior got people a bawling-out over the PA system. Next time I go to that range, if it happens again, I will explain (while wearing my NRA CFI hat) that I won't be patronizing their range any more since they can't maintain range safety. Crazy stuff. I have kicked people off the range, before, for that kind of behavior. SMH

Just wanted to vent. Thanks for the opportunity! I feel better, now! :D
don't blame you one bit. that kid of stuff drives me crazy too. Got to have eyes in back of head to watch out for them.guess its fine line for the RSO as they want business and don't want to chase people off but then again who needs an incident to cope with.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,319 Posts
Crazy!

Good thing the indoor range I go to has a check-in counter and behind it are glass windows that give me a clear view of the lanes.
I can see who’s shooting and can make a quick decision if I’m staying or not.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts