Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Righteous Dude
21,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I wanted to leave a quick range report on the often unloved Taurus brand. I took my recently acquired Taurus 85 Ultralite (the black/blue). Now, I love my SP101 and GP100, but I wanted to give a Taurus a spin. My father has a 605 and it has been awesome (and a few other Taurus revolvers).

I grabbed a box of Winchester 130 grain FMJs and headed to the woods to shoot at some shoe box lids. I shot 75 rounds at about 20-23 feet. It fired every single round with no problems. Nice primer strikes- dead on center. I shot SA, DA, and some rapid. I put 5 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense +P to see how they felt. They were easily managed as well. Overall, my groups were pretty good (I didn't measure, they were probably 4-6"). I really wanted to make sure it fired reliably and smoothly. The ejector spit out the spent cartridges easily as well.

The little snub nose is a great shooter. It's nice and light, and the recoil is incredibly manageable. I had fun with it and plan to do some more shooting with it soon. My next snub will probably be a S&W 642 (I just gotta find one!). I really like carrying and shooting these snubs (I'm a young guy, seems like I should be carrying 3 or 4 Glocks haha! :eek: ).

Til next time!

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Congrats! Glad it's a good shooter.

Nothing wrong with a wheel gun or two at any age!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Glad you like it. I am seriously considering buying an 85 in stainless. I would prefer a Smith, but finding one under $500 has been difficult.

·
Righteous Dude
21,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! I have yet to prove its durability, but I hope it's like yours, Retired Seabee! Hey, for $300 how can you go wrong?

·
Righteous Dude
21,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you like it. I am seriously considering buying an 85 in stainless. I would prefer a Smith, but finding one under $500 has been difficult.
I wanted a stainless, but saw this and said, "What the heck!" I wouldn't mind a steel 605 or 650 for a next Taurus. But first, like you, I must grab a Smith! I seriously have revolver fever! Haha

·
Registered
815 Posts
My first 2 guns were Taurus revolvers and both have worked flawlessly. I have a model 44 in .44 mag and a model 627 Titanium Tracker in .357 mag. Not a single problem with either!!

·
Righteous Dude
21,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first 2 guns were Taurus revolvers and both have worked flawlessly. I have a model 44 in .44 mag and a model 627 Titanium Tracker in .357 mag. Not a single problem with either!!
I'm glad y'all are saying this. With all the bashing on the internet, I wondered if I was going to get a faulty firearm (even though every experience I've had has been incredibly positive). If your magnums are doing great, then the humble 38sp should well also! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I actually ended up getting a .38 LCR today, as my LGS had one $100 under retail (rare these days). It's awesome. However, I would still love to pick up a Taurus judge someday. Those things look fun! And of course I will still have to add a Smith at some point. The first handgun that I ever shot was a Smith .357 L frame (loaded with .38's). I have loved revolvers ever since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts