Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local range..Set up my target at 25 yards shoot a handfull of times. Picture enclosed shows where bullets went... i then moved out to 100 yards...Do i need to adjust scope for 100 yards? It is really windy about 30 mph gusting... im new to this it could just be me..

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
You need to look up the ballistic info for the round you were using and see how much it moves at the distance and wind speed you had.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Box says Velocity 990 @ 100 yards.. energy says 85.. Was using federal automatch

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
A 22LR is going to have a decent amount of drop at 100 yards. It is DEFINITELY not going to be accurate at that range in 30 mph winds.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,341 Posts
Alan50501, 100 yards is quite a challenge for any 22 LR rifle and especially a 10/22. 22 LR ammo suffers from several deficiencies to include, slow muzzle velocity, slow spin rate, poor ballistic coefficient, and poor quality, not to mention the rifle itself. If you have a few minutes, download and read an article I wrote for the Forum E-Library titled "22 Long Rifle Ammo and Accuracy". Here's a link: https://rugerforum.net/e-library/106039-22-long-rifle-ammo-accuracy.html

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Cant add anything that hasnt already been mentioned as to the challenges of a .22LR at 100 yards. But as you asked about if you should adjust your scope, I would sight in your scope for the range you are going to shoot it at the most/expect to use it (probably 25 or 50 yards) at and be done with it. You will then learn where it hits at other ranges.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Alan50501, 100 yards is quite a challenge for any 22 LR rifle and especially a 10/22. 22 LR ammo suffers from several deficiencies to include, slow muzzle velocity, slow spin rate, poor ballistic coefficient, and poor quality, not to mention the rifle itself. If you have a few minutes, download and read an article I wrote for the Forum E-Library titled "22 Long Rifle Ammo and Accuracy". Here's a link: https://rugerforum.net/e-library/106039-22-long-rifle-ammo-accuracy.html
I went to the link it wont download for me.. It says broken image

·
Registered
232 Posts
i had the opportunity to test my 10/22 TD at a 100-yd outing with our local club... i was grateful that i was able to keep the shots within an 8" circle, and i was using a 3-9X scope...

at my age, i was also thankful that i could see the target!

:)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
315 Posts
longer barrels will help- I have a Mossberg 146B with either a 24" or 26" barrel and with a 9x scope I can shoot bottle caps off 20oz bottles at 100 yds if I really take my time.

My 10/22 I usually sight in at 50 yds even with a scope. You can go farther, but it starts getting more difficult to be as accurate. Unless you start going heavy barrels, etc...

·
Registered
492 Posts
I sight my 22 LR rifles at 50 yards and call it good. You can shoot a 22 LR 100 yards at targets on calm days and get hits. A good rifle with good ammo makes a difference. I have had 1.5" groups with my 77/22 and thought that was pretty good. I can't imagine trying it with 30 mph winds!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts