Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Range today, lucky weather of 72 and sunny!

Took both LCRs, Did four inch groups at 12 yards with the 357 like before, so maybe that's as good as I'll ever be? Got more used to the required sight picture for the 22 at twelve yards. Seems to be if I cover the bull with the blade, and have half the blade above the notch, it matches the 357. I may still decide to file it a little.

A work buddy gave me some .38 reloads he'd done. Ten wadcutters loaded light for targets (felt like .22s), and 10 +P loads under some Hornady XTP bullets. Hefty flip with the bootgrip, think I'll stick with regular .38s.... :D

The big LCR got 45 rounds, the little LCR and a Bearcat about 100 each.

The Bearcat added a little fun, shooting the spinning prairie dog at 25 yards. I can usually hit it five of six shots without trying too hard.

My Mark III is boring as ever. Took 30 shots at the prairie dog, made him dizzy 30 times. Then I put it back in the case. It's just no fun to shoot, being so good. I no longer enjoy a gun that's easy to hit with, but I know that's the whole point of shooting. Am I crazy??

If it wasn't for the uncertainty about Nobama's gun legislation, I'd probably sell it.

·
Registered
184 Posts

My Mark III is boring as ever. Took 30 shots at the prairie dog, made him dizzy 30 times. Then I put it back in the case. It's just no fun to shoot, being so good. I no longer enjoy a gun that's easy to hit with, but I know that's the whole point of shooting. Am I crazy??
I know just how you feel. My MKIII is like a laser. My wife had NEVER fired a gun of any kind and on her first outing with the MKIII she shot very tight groups with the stock iron sights..........WITHOUT her glasses on ;)

Just an amazing gun, but a bit boring at the range. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Start making your targets smaller and your distances further.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Come shoot with me on an out door range, the targets will be 8X10 center mass (simulate)
Yup, bigger and closer 7, 10, yards, multiple targets, double taps and triples.
Shoot from a holster or the ready position. double taps with the rear site taped over.
Panic reloads and combat reloads, clearing jams. shoot no shoot targets.
Full mag dumps, 6 rounds at least at 3 yards from waist high. But then that's combat shooting and not target shooting. Not saying target shooting is bad, I do it all the time.
It wont be boring, challenging yes, boring no.
BUT, I fully understand the limits and liabilities on an indoor range.
Sometime we have to do the best we can with what we have, and it sounds like your doing it.

Edit to say: any time a different shooting style is tried ( as in something new )
Always go slow and keep safety at the top

·
Registered
155 Posts
accuracy

According to Townsend Whelen, noted soldier, hunter, outdoorsman, rifleman and writer, only accurate rifles are interesting.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Come shoot with me on an out door range, the targets will be 8X10 center mass (simulate)
Yup, bigger and closer 7, 10, yards, multiple targets, double taps and triples.
Shoot from a holster or the ready position. double taps with the rear site taped over.
Panic reloads and combat reloads, clearing jams. shoot no shoot targets.
Full mag dumps, 6 rounds at least at 3 yards from waist high. But then that's combat shooting and not target shooting. Not saying target shooting is bad, I do it all the time.
It wont be boring, challenging yes, boring no.
BUT, I fully understand the limits and liabilities on an indoor range.
Sometime we have to do the best we can with what we have, and it sounds like your doing it.

Edit to say: any time a different shooting style is tried ( as in something new )
Always go slow and keep safety at the top

I am in Oregon, your in Maine.......not an option. And most of what you list would be fine with my CC pistol but not with my Ruger MkIII.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Okay, bearcatter, can you shoot all 10 rounds from a Mark into a single ragged hole at that distance? I can personally attest to the fact that a Mark can do it. If that's too easy, start shooting the heads off of matches. :)

One of my favorite games with my Marks is to put a 1" sticky dot at 50 feet and see how many shots it takes to erase it. Also play the game with great success with my Single Ten. Very satisfying.

I do understand, though. It's probably why I spend 80% of my shooting time with pistols and revolvers, rather than rifles and seem to have a particular fascination with guns like my bearcat that are bit tougher to shoot. Fortunately, I do have access to 50, 100 and 200 yard targets, so I never get too bored.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Took both LCRs, Did four inch groups at 12 yards with the 357 like before, so maybe that's as good as I'll ever be? Got more used to the required sight picture for the 22 at twelve yards. Seems to be if I cover the bull with the blade, and have half the blade above the notch, it matches the 357. I may still decide to file it a little.

A work buddy gave me some .38 reloads he'd done. Ten wadcutters loaded light for targets (felt like .22s), and 10 +P loads under some Hornady XTP bullets. Hefty flip with the bootgrip, think I'll stick with regular .38s.... :D
I wish I had your problems! I'm still struggling to hit any decent groups with my LCR at 21 feet. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts