Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out a couple times lately (solo) just learning what I can. On 7/14 I shot the Ruger Single Six ('73 model). Learning the sights and the trigger. I really like it, but want to keep going out and getting better w it.

Shot from rest at 15' and free hand at 15'.

Rectangle Textile Font Wood Art

Rectangle Textile Triangle Font Art

My next post will be of today's shoot, 8/06.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Today, shot my 1957 High Standard - SuperMatic. I'm sure in the hands of someone experienced you may only see one hole. Shot from 10 yds at rest, then 5 yds free hand and 10 yds free hand. I screwed up though. Before the 10 yd free hand, which was my last shooting at said target, I unloaded the mag and it disassembled on me. The little plunger handle to push down as one loads the mag, it came off. Fortunately, the follower was still in the top of the mag well, so I'll have to get some replacement parts, but I wanted to finish what I started, so those 10 shots are single loads into the chamber. Yes, I was pissed at myself for never really paying attention to the overall workings of said mag. That mistake will only happen once.

Like I said, this thing is a tack driver in the right hands.

Toy Font Rectangle Art Pattern

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lastly, I wanted to spend time just relaxed pulling the trigger on my 9s, so I pulled out my Security 9 Std, and recycled a bunch of plastic bottles 🤩 then finished w 3 - 5 rd mags on paper at 5 yds. I'm very happy w these results because the last two times out w my new SW Shield+ I wont even post, it was horrendous.

Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Monochrome photography

Then, the SW+ to finish w a loaded 10rd mag again from 5 yds. This pistol is difficult for me because I'm reaching back for the trigger, so yanking it is real easy. I did however put the trigger for both 9s closer to the first digit of my finger rather than the mid point.

Font Art Circle Tree Pattern

So during this range visit, I've noticed the slide stop on the Security 9 will not disengage when I insert a loaded mag, pull back on slide to then release. It won't pull back further for the slide stop to disengage so the slide will go forward.

Fortunately, my hand is big enough I can reach up w my right thumb to put downward pressure on the slide stop, so the slide will then chamber the first round. Is this a timing issue or is there a bad spring?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Been out a couple times lately (solo) just learning what I can. On 7/14 I shot the Ruger Single Six ('73 model). Learning the sights and the trigger. I really like it, but want to keep going out and getting better w it.

Shot from rest at 15' and free hand at 15'.

View attachment 173758
View attachment 173757

My next post will be of today's shoot, 8/06.
I like my Single Six more and more every time I shoot it.

Nice shooting Jack Ruger 😎

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good shootin and looks like you had some fun. Sorry, can't help with the Security 9 question.

You shot some very different handguns. Do you have a favorite?
Thanks for asking. I would say the Security 9 would be my favorite because the last couple times out w it (which is a few months between shoots) I've started to recognize improvement, which I believe stems from being more comfortable and relaxed. I also have two 17 rd mags, so when they are inserted it gives me maximum purchase and there's just a comfort holding it.

After firing the 22 yesterday, I started shooting water jugs (just for fun) w the 9 & had little strings of misses and hits off n on. Wasn't overthinking successes over misses because I was witnessing my misses as very close w the raised backstop behind the jugs. Then when I put up the paper I was concentrating on the trigger pull, but keeping the sights quiet. While I'm doing that at times I noticed I wasn't over gripping the firearm and I was getting nice hits on the paper.

In the past, I've noticed when I'm missing low n left I begin to grip harder and harder because I'm attempting to get rid of my bottom two fingers from pulling the shots off target. I am now realizing that I was exacerbating the problem. Yesterday, I actually had a nice firm right hand w a good cupped left hand, not over gripping anything, plus, as mentioned earlier moving the trigger on my finger lead to improved results.

My hope is, better shooting w a fuller sized pistol will improve my EDC pistol as I work between the two.

·
Registered
Ruger Shooter
333 Posts
The old-style Single Six is a joy to shoot; very accurate, smooth operating revolver.

The results with all your different guns is impressive.

Reactions: Jack Ruger
1 - 9 of 9 Posts