Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get the RAR w/Redfield 3x9 but was looking for any opinions that might steer me towards another Brand rifle in the same price range. I was quoted $525 for the RAR, price seem fair ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am looking to get the RAR w/Redfield 3x9 but was looking for any opinions that might steer me towards another Brand rifle in the same price range. I was quoted $525 for the RAR, price seem fair ?
I looked and looked and compared features etc, and I could not find a better deal (in my uneducated opinion) that the Ruger American. I got mine in .30-06 because any place that I went that sold ammo, always had .30-06 rounds if they had nothing else but 12 ga. shotgun shells. Where I live, I did not see a need for a 3-9x40 scope, so I got a 2-7x32 instead. I may regret that later, but I like the scope, nonetheless. It is a Nikon Prostaff. I think I paid about $159 for it. The Rifle was $379. The scope mounts were about $30 (Weaver Grand Slam). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas, I'll probably get the RAR & I'm pretty much set on the .270. Should be able to "reach out & touch" the yotes pretty good with that lol.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I would look at a Savage 110 or 111 not the Axis. Marlin X7 is very good. Mossberg has a real nice bolt rifle out also. Howa is always good. I would look here first before going RAR or the cheaper Remington bolts & the Savage Axis.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I ended up with a Mossberg Patriot w/Vortex 3x9 scope for $444.

Place I was gonna get the RAR from had just got one in in 25-06 & he said for the money the Mossberg was hard to beat & I like the feel of the wood stock w/cheekpiece much better than the RAR plastic. Ought to have it Wed or Thurs & will report on how it shoots.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those Patriots are pretty, let us know how it shoots.
Will do, should be interesting as I haven't shot a centerfire bolt rifle in quite a little while lol. Plan to get a box of each brand .270 130gr ammo the shop has and see which one it likes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Love my RAR 308

RAR is a great rifle.

I have both a RAR 308 and Savage 223 model 112. I like both, however the RAR is every bit as accurate as the Savage. I use hand loads for both.

I can't see how you could go wrong with an RAR.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the Patriot Friday & am pretty impressed. Scope is a 3x9x40 but doesn't have a name (brand) on it anywhere but the glass is pretty clear & reticule is sharp so we'll see how it does. I'll shoot it tomorrow or Monday & report back but as of right now I believe it is worth the $477

1 - 11 of 11 Posts