Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I've been offered a Boyds laminated stock that is said to be for the RAR Predator. I want to put it on my RAR Compact in 223.

Will this be a straight installation?

Thanks for any advice.

- Bob

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Most RAR owners don't spend money to do any upgrades, so don't feel too bad about not getting answers.

The RAR's all have the same action footprint, so yes, you'll be able to interchange the stocks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I thought they'd be the same except the barrel profile... Your confirmation helps.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
If anything, the predator stock will have a barrel channel wider than necessary for the Compact. Going the other direction might not work.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I own a Predator (heavy barrell) and 2 regular Americans. I have compared the stocks on each in every which fashion, and there is absolutely zero difference other than color. I also purchased a Boyd's stock for my stainless American, and it fits right onto my Predator as well.
It is interesting that Boyd's lists each rifle, the American and American Predator, in different catagories, and the stocks have different part numbers from each other. But, they are exactly the same from what I can tell.
Before I order another stock from Boyd's I'm going to call them and ask them what they say the difference is for the stock intended for the Predator vs. the one intended for the regular American.
The Ranch Rifle would be a shortened version of the Predator barrell, so the same info applies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am interested in the Boyds aftermarket stocks, considering they wouldn't have the patented aluminum bedding the factory stocks would, how well are they with the RAR.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am interested in the Boyds aftermarket stocks, considering they wouldn't have the patented aluminum bedding the factory stocks would, how well are they with the RAR.
I have put a Boyd's stock on a Ruger American Rifle and a Ruger American Predator and have experienced improved accuracy with both rifles. The RAR factory stocks do not have aluminum bedding, Maybe you are confused with the Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR)?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hello folks,

I've been offered a Boyds laminated stock that is said to be for the RAR Predator. I want to put it on my RAR Compact in 223.

Will this be a straight installation?

Thanks for any advice.

- Bob
I have a Ruger American predator RAP and a Ruger American rifle RAR and both have a Boyd's stock so I measured. The RAP barrel at the end of the stock is .738" and the RAR barrel measures .697". So, assuming your compact ranch is the same as my RAR, with a shortened barrel, it should be a good fit.

The Boyd's predator stock does actually have a slightly wider barrel channel than the Boyd's stock for the RAR.

You would not be able to put a RAP in a Boyd's stock made for a RAR without widening the barrel channel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have put a Boyd's stock on a Ruger American Rifle and a Ruger American Predator and have experienced improved accuracy with both rifles. The RAR factory stocks do not have aluminum bedding, Maybe you are confused with the Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR)?
I apologize, when I said "Aluminum Bedding" what I was referring to was the bedding block system which is said to help with the RAR accuracy.

Ruger® Ruger American Rifle® Standard Bolt-Action Rifle Models

I was in a discussion with someone who owns a RARanch and was at Shot Show last year, he said the ruger reps had a stock cut open and we're promoting the Aluminum bedding all the way down to the grip for the Ruger American Predator & Ranch.

I am having problems confirmin this information with Ruger, but that is where my mistake came in.

With that said, you dont think the power bedding block system in the Americans add much to the Rifle then?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I apologize, when I said "Aluminum Bedding" what I was referring to was the bedding block system which is said to help with the RAR accuracy.

Ruger® Ruger American Rifle® Standard Bolt-Action Rifle Models

I was in a discussion with someone who owns a RARanch and was at Shot Show last year, he said the ruger reps had a stock cut open and we're promoting the Aluminum bedding all the way down to the grip for the Ruger American Predator & Ranch.

I am having problems confirmin this information with Ruger, but that is where my mistake came in.

With that said, you dont think the power bedding block system in the Americans add much to the Rifle then?
The "V" shape bedding system is strong but the plastic factory stocks are not good. A good portion of stocks that leave the factory are warped/twisted and hit the barrel. Those that are not warped are flimsy and with very little pressure will hit the stock also. I know the rifles are accurate and even with a twisted stock you can get moa accuracy which is fine for hunting within a couple hundred yards but for accuracy like I've shown here I don't think it can be achieved with factory stock.

I'll be glad when other, better, stocks are available for these rifles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.