Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all. Just purchased a RAR Go Wild in .308, did my initial zero at 25y, and then moved out to 100. I was using Match 168 gr HPBT by HSM, and producing 2.5” groups. There was some wind that day, but not enough that my groups should have been that large.

Conversely, this same ammo out of my custom AR10 shoots .25“ groups in similar conditions.

Got me thinking that HSM is not what the RARGW prefers...so I wanted to ask the group what ammo your 308 RARGW likes. Also, wanted to know your experience shooting Hornady ELD-X 178 gr (Precision Hunter) if anyone has done so, as it is my front runner for an elk trip I’m planning this fall. Want to make sure this groups well before purchasing though, as i have only been able to find it for $55+ per box online.

Thanks for your input and feedback,
WW

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I’m going to open this with stating I don’t own the same rifle you do nor do I shoot .308, but I can comment on the Hornady Precision Hunter line of ammo. Yes it commands a premium price but it’s way above average. I’ve used it in my 6.5 and pulled a .5 five shot group at 200yds. My buddy uses it in both his Tikka’s, (6.5 & 7 Rem) he runs his 7 out to 600yds with pretty good groups. It’s always a crap shoot when it comes to trying ammo but I think the Precision Hunter is worth a try.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: WabashWrangler

·
Registered
594 Posts
Through my RPR I get .5 moa at 100 yards and at most .75 moa at 400...not bench rest just a bipod. Im sure it can do even better than that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts