Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I picked up a RAR in 300 blackout a few months ago, and have taken it out about three times. It runs well, supers and subs are accurate, however, they are grouping about 10" apart vertically and horizontally at 35 yards. My 300blk AR is about a 3" difference, vertical only.

My supers were 125gr Speer tnt with shooters world sbr socom, which group less than in inch in the ruger and AR.

Subs included the following bullets
110gr xtreme 30 carbine rn
150gr hornady fmj
230 lee cast and powdercoated at .3095"

They all grouped well, and near eachother, but 10" down and 10" to the right of the supers.

Anyone else get such a large difference between subs and supers with a RAR? It seems pretty wild to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldn't say it is a fluke persay but I would say your gas gun rifle grouping subs and supers really close at 35 yards is in the minority.

Your Ruger American Ranch putting them 10 inches apart at 35 yards in the subs versus supers might be an extreme example, but keep in mind that major point of impact shifts on 300 blackout based on significantly different bullet weights is nothing new. It is a combination of fast light pills vs heavy slow pills, barrel twist rate, and numerous other factors that affect the outcome.

It's the compromise called 300 AAC Blackout. Ya either adapt your point of aim properly when changing loads or you change to a different caliber which does not do subsonics.

Just make sure you don't have anything loose or applying pressure on the barrel, it could possibly be a user induced issue.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Check out this forum: 300BlkTalk -Index page
(one weird thing about site is that I can't find the logout link after I log in. If I close the site and come back in, the logout link shows up in the upper left). Poster named 'dellet' seems really good at 300BLK.

Agree with havoc_squad. There will absolutely be a difference in POI between the super/sub spread of 300BLK, given the range of bullet sizes and speeds you can load in 300BLK. Your amount of drop spread seems on the extreme end and the left-right variance seems really weird.

Not sure why the Ranch displays the behavior it does when an AR does not. Barrel length differences? I don't recall my Ranch having any issues other than the expected drop between super and sub. My Ranch groups fine with any loads, so I'm happy.

I'm also finding that 300BLK accuracy and operation is sensitive to different powders and loads . Example: Accurate 1680 powder loads seem to be better at cycling semi-autos than others. Try different powders and load ranges and see if it makes a difference.

I like 300BLK because of its range of loads. Of course, that also means I have more choices to make and more experimentation to do. Part of the fun of shooting for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts