Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AT1(AW)
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RAR in.308, as much as I enjoy shooting it the barrel heats up to fast and ammo can be expensive. I'm thinking of getting a another RAR in 22LR. Here are my questions:
Are the barrels heavier, or is the stock barrel good enough for target shooting?
If a new barrel is needed, any suggestions?

And since we are talking barrels, any suggestions on a heavy barrel for the 308?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a RAR in.308, as much as I enjoy shooting it the barrel heats up to fast and ammo can be expensive. I'm thinking of getting a another RAR in 22LR. Here are my questions:
Are the barrels heavier, or is the stock barrel good enough for target shooting?
If a new barrel is needed, any suggestions?

And since we are talking barrels, any suggestions on a heavy barrel for the 308?

Thanks.
I have an RAR 17 HMR that is very accurate with the stock barrel. I easily get groups of less than 1 inch at 100 meters with a BSA Sweet 17 scope.

·
Registered
995 Posts
There is an American predator rimfire model with a heavier bullish barrel available as a distributors exclusive, model number 8334 in 22lr. Might be what your lookin for. I recently ordered the 22 mag version, model 8335.

Here's Rugers spec sheet on the 22lr http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireDE/specSheets/8334.html

Ps- Ruger also makes the American predator model with heavier barrel in .308

·
Registered
780 Posts
The RAR is pretty good and best in it's class for value and features. It is not a CZ for targets, but pretty darn good if you are going to target shoot/plink/train with bulk pack and minimags.

I've got both and would steer you toward the compact if you are going to mount a scope and go 22lr or 22 mag.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You will probably have a hard time getting the barrel "hot" with this gun in 22 lr. For the money your getting a accurate weapon. I have the starndard legnth model. I shot alot of different brands and different velocities of ammo thru it last year to see what was most accurate and was not disappointed by anything (even Thunderbolts) but it really liked Fiochi,CCI standard velocity and Rem. Subsonics the best.
25-30 step groups are smaller than a sqirrels eye! Wow the Season is fast approaching...

Jack

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the .17HMR standard with Vortex Crossfire 4-12x50 and the .22lr in compactwith the standard comb and Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 BDC.

Both are very accurate. The .22lr likes thunderbolts and the .17HMR likes the A17 ammo.

If you shoot anything enough then the barrel will heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts