Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a pristine blued 1976-vintage .38SPL Police Service-Six per the box, the frame of which has a Security-Six rollmark. Ruger confirms that, per it's 152-series S/N, all is original/authentic.
Has anybody come across this before and/or might be able to estimate a value?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
That is interesting. A Service Six with a Security Six rollmark.
I've heard of earlier ones have this identification, but not as late as the Liberty 76 model. You truly have a rare bird there.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Nice find.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I believe it is really rare. I don't see it listed in the RENE Reference of Ruger Firearms that has all the different variations listed. Great find.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A good buddy of mine has a Police Service Six in stainless that he's had since the early 1970's. I'm 99.99% sure his is .357mag. I'll try to get some info and pics from him to verify. Still, you have a very nice acquisition. Looks to be in outstanding condition.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I believe it's a "mis mark", as in a Service Six frame got the roll stamp for a Security Six.

I also love 1976 models, I have a .38 Special Service Six and a Blackhawk made in '76 and I love them! I try to collect as many of the 1976 models as I can find. I'm very patriotic and I think it's neat that Ruger is probably the only gun maker to stamp 1976 production guns like that.

It's of a lot of value to the "factory error" collector, but to a shooter it doesn't add much interest to the gun. Someone who really wants it may pay a LOT for that one, it depends........like was said, the early models pre-dated the Service Six designation, and so there was an adjustable and fixed sight Security Six, but 1976 was way too late for this and the Service Six name had been out by then.

S&W collectors go nuts for "errors", such as Model 28's stamped with "MOD 29" inside the yoke, or Model 64's stamped "MOD 686-4" or some such.......more likely the result of a trainee or a hungover factory employee :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts