Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I having been using Gillette trac II razors and blades my entire life (I'm 42)
They have become very difficult to find. Can anyone suggest a razor/blade that is good, common, and won't break the bank?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use Dorca 6 blade cartridge and handle from Amazon. Used to use Gillette but just can't justify the price. Been very happy with Dorca or it might be Dorco.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I use a Merkur Progress safety razor. The progress costs a lot, but the blades are so cheap that it pays for itself pretty quickly. It also gives a MUCH better shave than cartridge razors. Safety razors are the next best thing to getting a straight razor shave from a barber.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Been using a Gillette Fusion Power for quite awhile, but now only use that for when I require a close shave. Any other time I use my electric wet/dry razor. A Norelco Aquatec.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I use Harry's. They're cheap,long lasting & the ship very quickly. You get the handle,three razors & gel for 15.00. If you use a promo code it's only 10.00. Give it a try.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
My wife bought me some Harry's last year...................I like them and that's all I use now!

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you keep the blades dry betwen shavings, they will last a really long time. Its the oxidation( rust) that dulls the edge. The hair on your face is a lot softer then the razor

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I get a years worth of shaving out of the Gillette Fusion blades.
I will be loading a new cartridge on Jan 1, 2016.
Do Harry's and the others have the trim blade for sideburns on the back side of the cartridge?
I use that blade a lot for sideburns and under my nose.
If they do, I may give them a try, but shaving costs me less than $5.00 per year when I buy the 5 pack.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My dad turned me on to these: Studio 35 Men's Disposable Five-Blade Razors | Walgreens

Besides Walgreens they're also sold at CVS, Family Dollar, and Dollar General. The packaging is slightly different at each place, but they're the same, exact razors. Of the the 4 stores, CVS is the most expensive by far, followed by Walgreens. FD and DG are about tied for the best price.

The razors have 5 blades w/ a lubricating strip, plus a very handy sideburn trimmer blade; they're basically a knock-off of a Gillette Fusion disposable but way cheaper. At my local FD a 3 pack is $5 vs. $9 for 2 Gillette Fusion disposables. I don't know who in the heck is dropping $9 on 2 disposables, but somebody must be doing it.

FD and DG also sell a cartridge version of it, and that's an even better deal: A handle and 4 cartridges for $5.50. It looks slightly different than the disposable version (no orange on the handle), but it's the same thing. Gives a fantastic shave.

This short video also shows a quick, easy way to extend the life of a disposable razor using nothing but a scrap of denim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-4bhVpfxJM

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I use a Gillette Fusion for difficult shaves, like when I've gone for several days and the regular razor won't quite get all the whiskers.

Usual razor is a store brand (Tom Thumb/Safeway-sold) that has a pack of maybe 9 razors in a plastic bag. I think this costs about ten bucks.

Fusion blades are too expensive for everyday use, but it does give a really smooth, close shave.

I think razors, like many drugs, have an enormous profit margin. It's a real rip-off to consumers.

I liked my Trac II and wish the blades were still easily available and cheaper. But the Fusion does give a closer, easier shave.

I use an aloe shave cream for sensitive skin. Mennen Afta after shave.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
A few years ago, I went back to using a good old double edge razor. I just bought 40 Wilkinson blades off EBay for $8 shipped. Blades last a lot longer too.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Gave up finding Trac II blades a few years ago. I use the Gillette Fusion. In the past, you could get 30 blades for $40 at Costco. That's a lot of years of shaving. Checked today and the price went up to $51 for 16 blades. Hardly worth it. Once I run out of Fusion blades, I'll probably go back to the double edge razor at a dollar a blade. I really believe the multiple blade cartridge concept is a load of crap anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjAZnGeBcgg

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Love the Gillette adjustables!!!! My Dad passed this "Fatboy" on to me. Great shaver!

I've been using this razor for years. Only mine isn't adjustable. I just love the way it works. I use shaving soap, and a horse hair brush. Just like the old days..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Trac II blade cartridges are available from Razors Direct.com...very good prices and shipping is cheap

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
This was my Grandfather's. So probably hasn't been actually used in close to 50 years. Still opens and closes smoothly and is ready to go. One of my brothers most prized possessions.

My Dad always had 2 of these type razors. When I was little he and I used to shave together on the weekends. Then years later he did the same with my little brother. And you know what? We didn't have a blade in our razors but we grew up knowing how to shave properly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts