Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a set of dies for loading .32 H&R Mag. RCBS Carbide dies are running $75-$80 for a 3-die set.
Hornady has a 3 die set of Titanium Nitride I can get for $44 through Midway.
I am curious if anyone has used the Hornady dies, how they compare and if it's really worth the money to spend over $30 more for the RCBS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can't compare the two but I do own 4 sets of the Hornady's and don't see how you could go wrong with them. I've loaded close to 10,000 rounds of 45 ACP, 3000 38 Special, 3000 44 Special, and 1000 32 H&R Magnum and have had no problems whatsoever with them. I'd get the Hornady's if it was me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was just looking at the dies at Midway after posting above and I'd get the Hornady's and use the extra money to buy a crimp separate die. I don't always load the same bullet and it's a lot easier to change bullets when you don't have to adjust the crimp when you switch.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just looking at the dies at Midway after posting above and I'd get the Hornady's and use the extra money to buy a crimp separate die. I don't always load the same bullet and it's a lot easier to change bullets when you don't have to adjust the crimp when you switch.

Good advice, thanks! I still don't know why RCBS charges so much more for the .32 H&R mag dies. One of my local gun stores carries them and they are $80. The same carbide dies in .38/.357 are $50.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just curious

I am looking at buying a set of dies for loading .32 H&R Mag. RCBS Carbide dies are running $75-$80 for a 3-die set.
Hornady has a 3 die set of Titanium Nitride I can get for $44 through Midway.
I am curious if anyone has used the Hornady dies, how they compare and if it's really worth the money to spend over $30 more for the RCBS.
Have you priced Redding, Lyman or Lee? Or did you eliminate them from consideration for some other reason?

Lost Sheep

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you priced Redding, Lyman or Lee? Or did you eliminate them from consideration for some other reason?

Lost Sheep

Most of my equipment is RCBS and started with that years ago and pretty much stuck with one brand, but I'm not partial with what brand I use and was just trying to save a little. I do have several sets of RCBS Carbide dies but they are $30 cheaper than the .32 H&R Mag dies in the same brand. Must be something with that caliber I guess. I do have a set of Hornady .22-250 dies I bought years ago but do not load for that caliber anymore. I did like the feel of them.
Redding carbide dies are priced up there with RCBS, about $30 dollars more than the Hornady Nitride. Lyman are priced $10 more. Someone gave me a set of Lee dies years ago and didn't like them.
Basically I'm trying to figure out if the Hornady Titanium Nitride dies were comparable to the more expensive RCBS Carbide dies as you don't need to use case lube on your brass for either set. If the quality of the less expensive Hornady dies are just as good as the RCBS or Redding, then their competition got a little stronger. And that $30 savings will buy me a couple hundred .32 cal. bullets.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have dies made by RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Hornady, and even a couple of old Pacific sets (Hornady bought Pacific a couple-three decades ago). They all work fine.

My order of preference is Redding, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman. That being said, if I found a set of Lyman dies in the caliber I needed for considerably less money than the others, I'd buy them.

I guess I'm saying that if you stick with any of those four brands, you'll be fine.

No Lee stuff for me though, thank you very much.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Have been using Hornady for over 25 years, the same dies, have them in 6 diff cal,never any problems

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I personally was never a fan on the Hornady "zip spindle"... I have a set of 30-06 dies from them that the zip spindle is stripped, and it sits on the shelf. While I have a bunch of RCBS dies, I find the Redding dies to be more to my liking... More refined, better fits my chambers, etc. I do however, change out all my lock rings with hornady... They make the best IMO.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi guys do the hornady Ti-Ni dies have a bevel on it's opening to allow for easier reloading in a progressive press? Yeah, I noticed too that Hornady's prices look more affordable. Have been using RCBS & Redding. Need a set of dies for my 44 mag.

Thanks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys do the hornady Ti-Ni dies have a bevel on it's opening to allow for easier reloading in a progressive press? Yeah, I noticed too that Hornady's prices look more affordable. Have been using RCBS & Redding. Need a set of dies for my 44 mag.

Thanks.

I just got the Hornady dies in today's mail. Here is a picture of the base. There is a beveled edge but it doesn't appear to be as smooth and rounded as a RCBS die. I don't use a progressive press. I will try them and if I don't like them I will sell them.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I have two sets of Hornady dies I bought to get free bullets! I personally will never buy anything Hornady again! Their reloading dies suck IMHO! I have a set of 45/70 and a set of 6.5x 55 swedish mauser dies that have had very little use for sale.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I have had the Hornady Ti-Nitride die in 9mm P for many years (and many rounds), and they work great.

I also like my Hornady dies for 7mm-08 loading, due to the eliptical expander and floating bullet seater. They work much better than my RCBS 7-08 dies do.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a set of the Hornady dies in .40 S&W and they work about as good as my Lyman,RCBS,and Lee dies nothing to write home about.However at the time the price was right.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I like RCBS but I am sorry that is just flat out price gouging to ask that much more for a set of .32 dies! Most new three die pistol sets run around $45 here, no way would they expect me to pay nearly twice that just for brand loyalty! Around here Honady is about the only other die choice and many use them, i doubt you'll be dissappoined with your purchase!

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I have dies made by RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Hornady, and even a couple of old Pacific sets (Hornady bought Pacific a couple-three decades ago). They all work fine.

My order of preference is Redding, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman. That being said, if I found a set of Lyman dies in the caliber I needed for considerably less money than the others, I'd buy them.

I guess I'm saying that if you stick with any of those four brands, you'll be fine.

No Lee stuff for me though, thank you very much.
I'd agree to all above, but add Dillon as top, Redding second, etc.

OK, I'm a Dillon fan, you got me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I prefer Hornady New Dimension dies. The TiN insert is smoother than carbide and you can feel the difference. That said, I still prefer Lee for almost all my reloading needs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts