Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an email announcing the new MatchMaster powder dispenser a few days ago and it sounded like an amazing machine. Definitely State of the Art!

New email tonight that you can preorder, great! Clicked on the link...$900!!!!

WOW! Like many, I originally got into handloading partly as a way to save money but how many loads would it take to break even on that???

And I do understand that it's not about saving anymore, it is about making the most accurate ammunition in the world and that machine may help do that. But $900!?, geez.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021886082?pid=587648&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Matchmaster at Midway

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Randy if I were to spend $900 on something I doubt it would be that, now an annealing machine maybe.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Well now we know what the damage will be. I currently use a chargemaster (not lite) if I am using an auto dispenser and the new model certainly caught my attention. $900 is a chunk. Not saying I am not going to get one, but at that price there are a lot of things I could buy for that same money, especially since my chargemaster is still chugging along just fine. But if it needs replacement I’m sure I will break down and get this new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
Maybe it's got a built in 5000 watt generator. It ain't worth it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The only close competitor to the SPECIFICATIONS of the new RCBS Matchmaster is an A&D FX120i scale and the Autotrickler/Autothrower combination from Adam MacDonald.

The RCBS at $900 would be $75 to $125 cheaper depending on how/when you purchase the A&D. From the specifications given by Midway, the Matchmaster in Match mode would be close enough to times I experience using the Autotrickler which is always in Match mode. If you are a buyer for the Matchmaster, I don't know why you would ever use "Normal" mode. Finally, I don't know if the Matchmaster's stated 0.04gr accuracy is actually the same as the +/-0.02gr for the Autothrower.

The only other difference I can see is that the Matchmaster is one single item (a benefit, and it looks pretty, sleek and familiar) with unknown internal components. How RCBS will handle required repairs after warranty is unknown. AFAIK RCBS did not repair old Chargemasters that broke, requiring repurchase. The Autothrow system uses several separate components, including a name brand "pharmaceutical grade" scale. These can be individually repaired or replaced if necessary.

Should be interesting. If (1) the RCBS works as specified (Might take some time but I have no reason to believe that it won't), (2) the precision is the same as the Autothrow (I'd guess that it is), and (3) RCBS provides long-term after-sale support and repair . . . it will be a formidable competitor.

Two other points:

The existence of this device is a pretty strong indication that the Chargemaster devices are not "dead on, all day long" as many users seem to report lol. Personally, I've thrown and reweighed ~1,000 loads from my Chargemaster, and only ~80% were within +/-0.06gr. In 50 throws there were always a couple more than +/-0.1gr from target.

Either of these devices is a much better choice than swallowing the price of a Prometheous lol.

·
Premium Member
13,944 Posts
Had to replace my Hornady Auto Charge a couple weeks ago when it started acting flaky with Chargemaster full size. Hopefully the new unit will last until I can give it away when I am no longer able to reload. For 900 bucks..............I will droll droll and nibble but not bite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts