Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been sitting on the sidelines looking at options to get into reloading and have been leaning towards getting an RCBS Rock Chucker. I want to start out reloading a few rifle calibers - .243W, .270W and .375 Ruger. Cabela's has the kit linked below "on sale" for $499.99 - is this a good buy? Supposed to be a $650 value regularly sold for $599.99 now $100 discount, plus RCBS has a $50 rebate. Would make the net price $449.99 (plus shipping).

Cabela's: RCBS® Rock Chucker Supreme Select Reloading Kit

Not looking to start a discussion on RCBS vs LEE vs whatever. I know there are a lot of you that like the Rock Chucker - is this a good package to start with for a decent price?

Thanks!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've been sitting on the sidelines looking at options to get into reloading and have been leaning towards getting an RCBS Rock Chucker. I want to start out reloading a few rifle calibers - .243W, .270W and .375 Ruger. Cabela's has the kit linked below "on sale" for $499.99 - is this a good buy? Supposed to be a $650 value regularly sold for $599.99 now $100 discount, plus RCBS has a $50 rebate. Would make the net price $449.99 (plus shipping).

Cabela's: RCBS® Rock Chucker Supreme Select Reloading Kit

Not looking to start a discussion on RCBS vs LEE vs whatever. I know there are a lot of you that like the Rock Chucker - is this a good package to start with for a decent price?

Thanks!
Go to eBay type in RCBS Rockchucker Kit, they have just about the same set only with the older style scale, for around $300 plus you get a $50.00 rebate from RCBS. I have used the same equipment for years with no problems. This is what I would go with and some sellers on eBay are offering free shipping on this kit also.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have been researching the RCBS kits as well. Their customer service is excellent from what I have read.
I have 2 of their turret presses and have had no need for customer service as of yet :D.

Great press too!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have been researching the RCBS kits as well. Their customer service is excellent from what I have read.
Depending upon the size of your community you may find a used one on a local classifieds site or neswpaper ad. The nice thing about RCBS and Dillon is you only have to buy it once as thier warranty and customer service are excellent. Have bought a lot of used RCBS equipment over the years and saved lots of money this way.:p

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Depending upon the size of your community you may find a used one on a local classifieds site or neswpaper ad. The nice thing about RCBS and Dillon is you only have to buy it once as thier warranty and customer service are excellent. Have bought a lot of used RCBS equipment over the years and saved lots of money this way.:p
I have been looking at some used kits but havent found any really good deals. With the rebates they are offering now I'm probably going to buy new.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Midwayusa.com is the way to go.
But you would have to add midwayusa's ridiculous shipping charges. The kit he's looking at from cabelas is upgraded with the 750 digital scales, case trimmer,powder measure stand, and a free hat. It'd say its a good deal if you want the extras. Been awhile since I looked but I think the trimmer is over $100 by itself, that right there covers the extra cost that kit.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, don't buy it for that price. Midway has it for less and if you cash in on the rebate, it brings it way down.

Midway's RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme
Midway sells this kit for $319.99 and Cabela's sells the same kit for $300. The kit I'm looking at has the digital scale and other upgrades and I haven't seen the exact same kit sold elsewhere. I know I'll want a digital scale. Just trying to see if it really is a good buy.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Go to midwayUSA. You can get the Rock Chucker Supreme kit there for much less than Cabelas. I purchased my Rock Chucker Supreme kit over two years ago from Midway.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Greetings,

I bought my RCBS Rockchucker about, 1976, and it is still going strong. I lost the powder pan on my RCBS powder scale, and they were kind enough to send me a new pan at no charge. They give you excellent service after the sale.

moondog911 :cool:

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YES, buy it.
OK - think I will!

Looked again at Midway since so many folks were directing me there and I just don't see the same kit offered. They do have the less expensive set for $20 more than Cabela's but not the one I linked to in the OP.

I like Midway and buy from them from but I guess not this time.

Thanks to all who offered opinions. The quality and customer service reputation of RCBS is what has me going that direction.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought a RCBS press scale,and dies when I first started reloading 40 years ago. It gave me good service and I was happy with it. I sold it in the 90's when I underwent a "lifestyle" change and was going to move on a crusing sailboat.

Six years ago we moved to a rural area and I got the urge to shoot and reload again. I looked at several different brands of reloading equipment including RCBS. Because of finances I purchased a Lee Classic press and dies for .243 and .30-06. I have since got into handguns and have also purchased a Lee turret press.

I said all that to say that I have found Lee products, while in some cases not perfect, not the "junk" the elitist try to make them out to be. Their customer service is excellent also. Are they the "Best?" Probably not, but they give you the most for your buck.

Grampie not Grumpie,

·
Registered
395 Posts
I use a RCBS Rockchucker press for reloading, and I know I will never wear it out. It's just built to strong. I think it's the best "single-stage" press you can buy. A great company with great products.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK - think I will!

Looked again at Midway since so many folks were directing me there and I just don't see the same kit offered. They do have the less expensive set for $20 more than Cabela's but not the one I linked to in the OP.

I like Midway and buy from them from but I guess not this time.

Thanks to all who offered opinions. The quality and customer service reputation of RCBS is what has me going that direction.
OK - I just did! Ordered the Rock Chucker kit from Cabela's but ordered the die sets and holders from Midway. Midway had the .375 Ruger dies and Cabela's didn't so I was going to place an order at Midway anyway and Midway had the dies sets for $2 less to boot.

Made the plunge! :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
My first press was a Rockchucker in a kit, the one before the swap handle supreme, it still had the Trimpro case trimmer with the set.

I was looking through their web site yesterday, they had a blem turret on sale press only, $151.00!!!

You can't go wrong with RCBS.

·
Super Moderator
21,188 Posts
All my equipment is RCBS and I have nothing but good things to say about it. My rockchucker I inherited from my dad in 1995 and he reloaded with it for many years. It will out last me. Read your manual and then jump in. If you have question then they are probably the same ones we had when we started so ask away. Congrats on a hobby to last a lifetime and you are off to a great start.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts