Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had the chance to try out a RCBS 3 die carbide pistol set. The instructions were clear and easy to read. I was loading 44 mag cases. After several trys I had things set to go. I only had 1 spacer ring to use so I had to switch the Sizing die with the bullet seating die to complete the process. The set screw on the bullet seating die kept loosening up and I ended up with several deformed cases. Any tricks I should know about these dies sets? Maybe a different locking ring to keep the die from moving after it has been set? Any info would help. Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
I recently got back into hand loading after being away from it for years. I'd gotten rid of my equipment back then so had to get new stuff and went with RCBS because that's what I used before. I had trouble similar to yours.
When I got the die adjusted to where I wanted it, snugged the lock ring down against the press and then tightened the set screw as much as I dared, the ring was still loose when I went to unscrew the die from the press. Seems to me that the lock rings are a fairly sloppy fit on the threads of the die. The only way I could make them lock was to adjust everything where I wanted it then back the die and lock ring out 1/4 to 1/2 turn (set screw not tight yet) being careful not to let the ring turn on the die and then tighten the set screw.
I ended up stripping the soft brass set screws on a few lock rings.
I'm not impressed with the sloppy fit of the lock rings and the soft set screws.
I bought a bunch of Hornady lock rings and replaced all the original RCBS rings-----much better ring in my opinion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I back the lock ring and die out a little before I set the set screw, otherwise it is a bear trying to unscrew the die from the press, and usually ends up loosing the lock ring. A recommendation on keeping the lock ring from moving is to take a lead pellet from a shotgun shell and putting it underneath the set screw, this will bite into the threads of the die without damaging them. Another option, granted more expensive is to by Forster or Hornady lock rings and replace the ones on your RCBS dies.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Unless you are jumping from 44 Mag to 44 Spec. you don't need the ring. I changed the locking rings to Hornady as well. Keep a 10" adjustable wrench handy.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had the chance to try out a RCBS 3 die carbide pistol set. The instructions were clear and easy to read. I was loading 44 mag cases. After several trys I had things set to go. I only had 1 spacer ring to use so I had to switch the Sizing die with the bullet seating die to complete the process. The set screw on the bullet seating die kept loosening up and I ended up with several deformed cases. Any tricks I should know about these dies sets? Maybe a different locking ring to keep the die from moving after it has been set? Any info would help. Thanks
Go out and purchase some of those Hornady Sure-Loc Die Locking rings. These things work great. I have replaced ALL of my RCBS locking rings with these things.

The crimping operation usually occurs during the bullet seating operation. Adjusting this can be very tricky.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input. I read on another site about the Hornady Sur-Loc Rings. Yes the crimping seating adjustment is pretty tricky and once you get it set you don't want the die to come out of adjustment. These dies are expensive and I was hoping for better results. I have quite a few Lee dies and they seem to be a little easier to set. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts