Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using a 60 yr old CH beam scale for years and got a Lee Perfect Powder Measure several years ago as my first foray into a machine powder dispenser. I've made the move to upgrade to an RCBS Uniflow just because I could.

My question...are there any nuggets of wisdom concerning this piece of equipment???
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Pick up a baffle for your Uniflow to keep the powder drops consistent. Clean the entire unit down with some rubbing alcohol to get rid of any grease. Wipe down the hopper, cylinder and measures with a fabric softner sheet and let them air-dry out. That should keep the fine powders from sticking to the walls of the hopper etc.

SO much easier to work than the Lee Perfect Measure was my first thing out of my head. The second was, "FRAK! Uniflow dumps powder on the upswing and not downswing like the LEE!" lol

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've had one for 25 yrs, at least. Get both large and small micometer charging cylinders, or whatever they're calling them these days. Trinimon gave you some first rate advice...do it all. It's a good measure for rifle, for most all powders, but does crunch the stick powders...this is not significant in accuracy terms.

For hand gun use in my experience, having done all that Trinimon suggests, it won't meter Unique, Red Dot, Herco, or Blue Dot within .2 gr on a consistent basis. With charges as small as 4.0 gr, this IS significant, for blue ribbon accuracy with match grade hand guns. If you are satisfied with 2" - 3" gps. at 25 yds from rest with match grade bullets and guns, the above listed flake powders will do OK in a Uniflow. For ball or flattened ball, it is superb with the small cylinder/chamber installed.

For the above listed reservations, I rarely use flake powders, in any measure and I've used: Uniflow, Lee's thing on the Loadmaster POS, two Dillon 550B's, and a Redding. I've found that for all light to medium loads, Winchester 231 or HP38 will do all that is necessary and with better accuracy than Unique ever demonstrated in my experience: .32 Long, .32 H&R, .38 Super, 9mm, .38-40, .41 Magnum, .40 S&W, .38 Spl. and Magnum, .44-40, .44 Spl and Magnum, .45 Colt, and .45 ACP. Yep, I load for a lot of hand guns, and Win 231 or HP38 (its twin), are superb. Make the switch, you'll never regret it.

In that regard, and with the above exceptions, the RCBS Uniflow is a great measure that you'll use for the rest of your reloading years.

Best Regards, Rod

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I love my Uniflo. It meters anything I tried including Unique. You just have to watch how you swing the handle on the flake powders. But I get consistant loads. I've metered Unique, Bluedot, 2400, 300MP, IMR 4895, CFE223, H335,TAC, Longshot and others I've forgot. I see no reason for any other measure.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
When funds are available or sooner,get the micrometer powder measure adjusting screw for both large and small cylinders,if you load for rifle and pistol, they make life easier. I've had mine for 50+ yrs. When you swing the arm back to rest do it with consistency and a "double tap"seems to help.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I'd second the micrometer adjuster. One thing I have done since I was a little kid being taught to reload by dad, I tap the handle slightly twice as I reach the limit stop in each direction - tap, tap, reverse tap, tap. Dad said it helped to settle the powder exactly the same round after round - as long as you do everything exactly the same way, each time. I'm scaring the paint off of the 60 year mark, and Dad started teaching me to reload fifty plus years ago and I still use any powder dump the same way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts