Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I expect to pay to have a couple Vaquero / Blackhawk cylinders rechambered to .45 a c p ?

Any of you guys do the work yourself ?
Any shops come to mind other than Jim Stroh and Clement ?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well, I guess the first question is what size are they now? .357, .45 Colt, .30 carbine...? Heck, if it's a Super Blackhawk, you might have a .480 Ruger. Could be as simple as a conversion cylinder or as complex as not possible.

Beyond that, what finish? Old or new model? New guns or ones that might need other parts tuned or replaced?

For that matter, why not just buy a Vaquero in .45 ACP from Davidson's or Talo?

Jeff

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply weaselfire. I guess I should have "fleshed" out the information a bit more so you can give me your price.

Here you go. one .357 and one .44 magnum cylinder, BOTH already fitted for function to large frame first model Vaqueros chambered in factory 45 Colt.

They have proper B-C gap and head-space. They advance with the ratchet hand smoothly, and lock up tightly, and with a proper cylinder-bore alignment. There is a proper amount of cylinder end play.

When I can get you to rebore them to 45 a c p, with the proper seating depth for the acp cartridge, I am aware the .44 magnum will have a slight "over-bore" from the end of the bullet to the proper size of .451 or .452 at the final portion of the charge hole.

This little "jump" the bullet has to make, (inside the chamber) is about the same as a .38 special fired in a .357; and while leading might become an issue after repeated firing without cleaning; accuracy should NOT be affected anymore so than the .38 / .357 combo.

As for the .357 cylinder, when correctly rebored to .45 acp, it should be exactly the same as a factory .45 acp cylinder.

As to your other concerns, finish - new guns, or older guns that need parts and tune-up. The guns are new, and the cylinders are blue.
Is there a more, or less, price for stainless steel or carbon steel work of this nature ?

As to buying a new Talo in .45 acp, I already have one like that, which is what prompts me to want others; and, with not much cost; I already have the extra cylinders in hand.

Of course as you say, a .45 acp factory cylinder would be ideal, but, the factory no longer will fit one to a non-convertible, and they are running in the 200 hundred dollar plus range, when you can find one on G/B or ebay.
You also face the possibility of NOT being able to fit a used cylinder to your gun, as I was lucky enough to do with the two cylinders under discussion.

So, are you interested in taking on the job, or have a suggestion as to who will ?

Frankly, I would like to get the proper piloted reamers and hones and do the job myself, so if you, or someone else would point me to a "tutorial" on the work, I think I would tackle the job myself. At least one time.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Frankly, I would like to get the proper piloted reamers and hones and do the job myself, so if you, or someone else would point me to a "tutorial" on the work, I think I would tackle the job myself. At least one time.
I'm not the one to take this job, and I don't have a direct suggestion for you. Clark Custom would be one place I'd check with.

Do I understand that the gun is a .45 LC and you just have a .357 and a .44 magnum cylinder you need to ream? I like to use 4D Reamers for a source for reamers, they should be able to help you decide if you want to tackle this yourself. I'm assuming the cylinders already work and are timed correctly in the guns, just not the size you wish.

You might find a cylinder from a reputable source, eBay or wherever, may still be the least expensive option if you decide to send the gun out.

Be interesting to see what you end up with.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts