Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of taking a couple of thousands off my barrel and re chamber it with a match reamer. Has anyone done this? Has anyone try to float the barrel and if so how?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was thinking of taking a couple of thousands off my barrel and re chamber it with a match reamer. Has anyone done this? Has anyone try to float the barrel and if so how?
If you talk with Que...He does barrel work with a very reasonable fee....

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've had two barrels re-chambered by Que. These are factory barrels in the regular stock and barrel band. Trigger job and bolt work. They easily do 0.5 inches at 50 yards. It is well worth it to have a light weight target accurate rifle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have had a chamber and lapping done by Dearborn Gunsmithing and he did a great job. He took off about 0.2 inches, recrowned the muzzle and cut a new extractor notch.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I've had two barrels re-chambered by Que. These are factory barrels in the regular stock and barrel band. Trigger job and bolt work. They easily do 0.5 inches at 50 yards. It is well worth it to have a light weight target accurate rifle.
How much did it cost and do you have a link for contact...

I have a sporter barrel I might have cut down to 16" and re-chambered if the price is not too high...

Also... do you have accuracy to tell about at 100 yards...if so...what ammo did you use...

·
Registered
71 Posts

I have a sporter barrel I might have cut down to 16" and re-chambered if the price is not too high...

Also... do you have accuracy to tell about at 100 yards...if so...what ammo did you use...
If you google Que bolt and barrel rework it will come up....I think the bolt rework was like $35.....not sure on the barrel...but he is a great guy to call and talk to....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Someone asked about accuracy at 100 yards with a .22 I get a chuckle out of this one....a .22 what, maybe 36 grain pill going at the speed of snot...? add to that say a 10 mph cross wind......how much drift do you expect...? How about 10-16 inches.....???? You can't expect to push a tool beyond its limits.....

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Someone asked about accuracy at 100 yards with a .22 I get a chuckle out of this one....a .22 what, maybe 36 grain pill going at the speed of snot...? add to that say a 10 mph cross wind......how much drift do you expect...? How about 10-16 inches.....???? You can't expect to push a tool beyond its limits.....
Actually 100yds with a .22lr is a pretty simple task. Good ammo, good set-up and optics and it's quite easy. Of corse weather consitions would be a factor but if such a case, a rare one for me at least, I wouldn't be shooting then anyways. Doesn't require super fast ammo either. Usually its the non-super fast actually.

·
Registered
238 Posts

I can achieve around 1 MOA at 100 yards. This is with Eley target. Also, M22 does very well in these barrels. You can tell Que what your favorite ammo is and he can make a custom chamber for the particular ammo. I am very satisfied. These barrels can be very accurate. They just need a little work.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
That someone was me...my gun with 16" aluminum barrel currently does 1.5-2.5" at 100 meters...that is 110 yards...that is the longest shot in Small Bore Silhouette matches...15 shots at 15 targets 1/5 scale steel rams...total match is 60 shots at 60 targets...starting at 40 meters being the shortest with 1/5 scale chickens...60 meters for pigs... 77 meters for turkeys...15 shots at 15 targets of each type...that is standing off hand and they have all kinds of chicken scratch rules regarding the stock width, protrusions, slings, scope mount, cheek rest, heel drop etc...

If the gun is not shooting good groups at 100 yards to begin with it is not going to stop someone like me from going out and doing it but it makes it impossible to get to a good score in the long run...

10/22 is not the best 22 rifle for that purpose by a long ways but that is irrelevant to me...I really don't care about that part...I use what I have and like...period...

Odds are I won't re-do a factory barrel but it is still a lot lighter than a steel bull barrel and if it gets the same or close to same accuracy as a 16" bull barrel then it would be worth it not to save money but for less weight...

The 16" factory barrel weighs 25oz my 16" TacSol barrel weighs 14oz...

If someone who had Que redo their barrel was absolutely certain they can consistently get groups at or below 1" at 100 yards I would consider doing it...I was going to do this from the start until I found out you could get an aluminum barrel for these guns...that was a no brainer for me...

If the accuracy of a reworked factory barrel is going to be more like 2-3" then forget it...not worth it to me personally but that is because I already have the TacSol that is not only better accuracy but a lot lighter too...

For someone with a factory stock wanting a better barrel w/o more weight this sounds like a good way to go to me...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts