Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets All,

I have just knocked the dust (18 years worth) off my gear. Read back through my Lyman reloading manual, and my press literature. Watched some videos on RCBS and youtube. Got back into the mindset. Noticed many things have remained the same, yet most products have changed, been upgraded, or went out of production. Picked up the basics at a gun show and did my research.

I have a 25 year old, non locked, no transfer bar (pin mounted on hammer) .357 2.5" snubbie. I love it. It shoots well at the 7 pace line etc.

The powder I researched and could actually find are not traditional .357 powders, but this gun is not the best for shooting full mag loads anyway.

Years ago, I loaded for 10MM mainly and .357 on the side. I used AA#9 because that was the go to powder for the big 10. Could not find any #9, but brought home two, one lb bottles of powder on my list.

What I have is Winchester Auto-Comp and Hodgdon CFE pistol. Recall, this is a 2.5" snubbie, so in my mind, it requires a fast burning powder to create mass chaos rapidly, because the entrance into the blast envelope is immediate. I'm not looking to shoot my arm out of socket or see how many rounds it takes to blow a cylinder.

I'm "aiming" for mild to mid loads to deplete my stock of 158 gr SWC so I can begin using the new Missouri Bullet powder coated 140 gr cowboys.

Lastly, I've loaded but not yet fired (weather) several 36 round batches using the Auto-Comp, ranging from just below to just over the mid point on the load chart. I'm looking to keep them sub-sonic and there is ample room to do so on their chart.

Q1: Anybody else using either of these powders in a revolver?
Q2: Is my theory on track? Short barrel + fast powder =mild loads?

Winchester nickel brass, WSPM primers, Speer full lubed 158gr SWC, batches of auto-comp from 5.4 upto 5.8 gr. COL is 1.620 by the load data.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,695 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Awesome info! Thanks again good sir!

Reviewing the Hodgdon burn rate chart, Auto-Comp & CFE are sequentially in order after AA#5 and before AA#7, and closer to Blue Dot for reference.

Therefore, I've made a somewhat good overall choice? And a decent choice for cast SWC target load development?

I can definitely see getting some #9, 4100 or 296 once I get my new revolver and later planned purchase of Henry or Rossi carbine.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If I want magnum loads, I find 2400 to be more accurate than 296/H110, but i give up 50-100fps.
For non-magnum loads, the powders you have are fine, but I still prefer Unique.
Have fun.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
For the mild to medium loads you desire, seems to me Unique or Power Pistol would fit the bill nicely. AutoComp is terrific in my autoloaders, but I've had less than pleasing results with it in .357 cases. You are using mag primers which should help with ignition of AutoComp since it is a ball powder.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,695 Posts
Andre Coop, Burn rate charts are great for a "ball park" estimate but in reality, powders tend to take on their own personalities in different cartridges and even with different bullet weights or barrel lengths. Auto-Comp and CFE are good mid-burn rate powders with a wide loading range that should serve you well for mid-range loads but are far from optimum when it comes to a high velocity load.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I use AA#9 Its starting to become more available.

thewelshm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts