Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was doing my police reserve duty last Friday evening when, shortly after sunset, a call came in about a man wandering in the median of a major divided highway. We responded to find a bloodied man in his thirties in "a state of undress" (what was called "nekkid" where I grew up) staggering in the grassy median, holding a knife and screaming incoherently. We pulled off onto the left shoulder and got out to see what the problem was.

As soon as he saw us, the man sprinted out into traffic, which was heavy with late commuters and people leaving for the weekend. Amazingly, he managed to cross all three lanes and was only tagged lightly by a passing truck, spinning him half-way around and dumping him on his backside in the right shoulder. We got got back in the car and - assisted by red and blue lights - crossed the highway. Since I was non-driver, it was my job to hop out and pursue our mad nudist on foot while my partner zipped down to the exit and back along surface streets.

I jumped (carefully) over the guardrail and jogged up a grassy hillside in hot pursuit, my quarry's bloody white skin making him stand out in the dusk-darkened alder thicket at the top of the hill. About twenty yards into the thicket, I lost sight of him and stopped to listen for him; I really didn't want to have him double back and turn the pursuit into a "meeting engagement", especially since he had a knife and was clearly "not in his right mind". I heard him crashing through the brush ahead of me and slogged off after him.

About twenty or thirty yards later (it felt like five miles, brush-busting through that alder thicket), I broke out into the open behind a row of newish houses surrounded by six foot wooden fences. A quick check with my flashlight showed that the one directly ahead of me had bloody handprints on it. I gathered my strength and went through the gate to the left of the bloody prints.

As I went through the gate, I heard a single gunshot. Since I was reasonably sure that my naked suspect hadn't been concealing a gun, I figured that he'd run into my partner, who was somewhere in the vicinity (or not - I had no idea what street I was on). Bursting into the back yard of suburban home, I saw that there were bloody handprints on the back door and I began to fear the worst. I gingerly nudged the door open and in as loud a voice as my winded condition would allow, I shouted "Police!".

A woman's voice answered, "In here! I just shot a man who broke into my house!" I found the two of them in the kitchen - the woman standing a few paces away from my suspect, who was quietly moaning and bleeding on the vinyl flooring. She had a Berretta 92 at the low ready position and I asked her to just keep it pointed away from me for the time being. I got the address and radioed my partner, who was only a few blocks away (and wondering where the HECK I was); when he arrived, I got the man in handcuffs and did some first aid while we waited for the ambulance.

It turned out that the woman had been in her bedroom when she heard the crash of the naked man breaking through her back door and quickly armed herself. When she saw the naked, bloody man in her kitchen, waving a knife and raving incoherently, she commanded him to drop the knife and, when he didn't, shot him. The bullet hit a bit low, but it was effective, since it fractured his pelvis, dropping him in a painful heap right where he stood.

Even though I was - technically - "hot on his heels", there was no way I could have prevented him from hurting her, had she not been armed. I took down her name and information for the report and advised her that if this should ever happen again that she should fire at least two shots, just to be sure. The detectives saw no reason to investigate the shooting further and the DA (on Monday) said that it was an obvious self-defense shooting.

And the bloody clothing-optional would-be slasher? He's in the hospital with a couple titanium screws in his pelvis and a brand-new colostomy, having recovered from his cocaine and methamphetamine binge. He's facing assault with a deadly weapon, menacing and disorderly conduct charges, along with a parole violation (he was on parole for attempted murder - he really can't handle his methamphetamine).

All's well that ends well...

Jim

Reactions: Knucklehead46

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Holy cow Jim, you have some great stories!
Glad the homeowner was able to protect herself.
Too bad the perp had to get a colostomy, I wouldn't wish that on an enemy.
Did you find out why he was bloody when you first met him? Did he injure himself or was there another victim?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Holy cow Jim, you have some great stories!
Glad the homeowner was able to protect herself.
Too bad the perp had to get a colostomy, I wouldn't wish that on an enemy.
Did you find out why he was bloody when you first met him? Did he injure himself or was there another victim?

Apparently, the blood was his own; he had cut himself in a few places, probably from swinging the knife around. We never heard of another victim, but it's possible someone is dead somewhere and just hasn't been found.

Jim

·
Banned
365 Posts
I'll give the woman two thumbs up for defending herself.

PS: Keep these coming, and PLEASE, look into a book deal using these stories. I'd buy one or more books.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,549 Posts
Another great one!

I'm trying to picture you jumping (carefully) over the guardrail :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great story, and it just supports why we Americans have to be armed ourselves.
There are situations, just like this one, where the police can NOT protect us.

May we all exercise our God-given 2nd amendment right of self-defense!

Thanks for sharing Jim.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Too bad her aim wasn't better. Now the government is going to have to give him room, board, and medical care. Better aim and a double tap could have prevented that.

Still, glad the woman was armed and knew what to do.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Jim you lead a very exciting life. Happy the homeowner was able to defend herself. Just curious, did the story make the local news? So many of these self defense shootings never get covered by the media.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I have nothing to add to this thread other than say thanks for the stories you share. I've always gotten a kick out of them ever since I started reading them. :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
That Beretta 92 is a handy tool. ;)

...and good advice, next time fire at least twice.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The bullet hit a bit low, but it was effective, since it fractured his pelvis...
Sounds like a bit to the side instead of low. Glad you and she are safe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
+1 to what Maser said. LOL! When I get time, I'll have to go look for more of your stories. I'm still laughing at the one about the guy with a shotgun in his crawlspace.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll give the woman two thumbs up for defending herself.

PS: Keep these coming, and PLEASE, look into a book deal using these stories. I'd buy one or more books.
I gave her major kudos for choosing to not be a victim, as did my partner, the detective and (I'm told) the prosecutor.

Another great one!

I'm trying to picture you jumping (carefully) over the guardrail :)
I'm in my 50's and also kind of short - I'm always careful jumping over things.

Jim you lead a very exciting life. Happy the homeowner was able to defend herself. Just curious, did the story make the local news? So many of these self defense shootings never get covered by the media.
The story did not make The Oregonian (local daily dead fish wrapper) because of a gang-related murder, but it may make the local suburban weekly, if it doesn't get pushed out by the high school football games. I suspect that since it wasn't about police shooting minority perps or a "gun crime", The Oregonian won't cover it - not that they've got an agenda to maintain...

Jim

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thanks for this report about a good news shooting. These aren't what the mass media like to report.

Do you know what ammo she had in the Beretta?

I guess you know that she probably saved you having to shoot this jerk.

Do you have to wear a body camera?

What 's your own sidearm?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
if I ever grow up, I want to be just like you! since I am 65 and retired, that ain't likely.
keep up the good work young man, and please be careful. blue lives matter. thanks for your service.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for this report about a good news shooting. These aren't what the mass media like to report.

Do you know what ammo she had in the Beretta?
You know, I never asked.

I guess you know that she probably saved you having to shoot this jerk.

Do you have to wear a body camera?
Yeah, I was figuring that it was going to come down to me shooting this guy, although my plan was to shoot him with my TASER. We don't wear body cameras, yet, but the department just put in an order for enough for us to all wear one - not a universally welcomed change, but I want one.

What 's your own sidearm?
We're issued the Glock 22 in .40 S&W. When I'm in plain clothes, I carry my ".40 S&W Magnum" (10mm Auto Glock 20).

if I ever grow up, I want to be just like you! since I am 65 and retired, that ain't likely.
keep up the good work young man, and please be careful. blue lives matter. thanks for your service.
You have no idea how much it tickles me to be called "young man" - I'm in my later 50s.

Jim

·
Registered
261 Posts
You should contact the NRA about having a column next to The Armed Citizen column in American Rifleman Insider or American Rifleman.

Always enjoy those just about as much as I enjoy yours. You give more details and are a better read.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts