Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remakes, that is. Remake, reboot, revision, whatever they call it these days when a classic movie, TV show, or song is violated, and ultimately trashed, in the name of trying to make more money off of something that should be left as is. Examples: Hollywood has remade such classic films as "Total Recall", "Red Dawn", "Carrie"....the list goes on. Then there's the attempts at making classic TV shows into movies, such as "The A-Team", "21 Jump Street", "Starsky And Hutch", etc. Don't even get me started on my precious '80s songs that have been raped [oops, I mean, "redone"] by what passes for music acts of today. Now I see that they're about to do a remake of TV's "Beauty And The Beast", a show that my wife and I both loved and think should also be left alone. What's next? Will they remake "Cheers"? Perhaps a revised "M.A.S.H."? Better yet, why not make a movie out of "All In The Family"?! Or perhaps a revision of the "Rambo" franchise, starring Shia Labeouf?! Maybe it's not that they're just trying to get more money out of the classics [though I know that's part of it]...I think that maybe they're just running out of original ideas. Still...Hey, Hollywood/music industry: LEAVE MY CLASSICS ALONE!!! Okay, I'm done...thanks for tolerating my rant.

· Registered
6,618 Posts
I totally agree NCLEO89 ;)

I also believe Hollywood has hit the wall in the creativity department. There's nothing new these days, same old plots, story lines, etc. Probably a reason why we see so many remakes and reality shows in the movies and on TV because of the shortage of new ideas. :p

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
I hate seeing older songs messed with.
Especially when turned into (c)rap..... :confused:

· Registered
2,153 Posts
I agree. I'm tired of the remakes. They aren't done well at all and just shows that hollywood is a dieing area. No fresh ideas and mostly no talent.

What's next, a movie about a reality show? In the last several years, the only reason I went to the movies was to catch the Harry Potter movies. At this rate I don't see me returning to the movies (with their commercials) for a long time.

I remember the last time I watched the movie awards and some idiots were on the stage saying that "old hollywood sucks, new hollywood rocks."

not so much.

· Banned
1,641 Posts
I thought the remake of True Grit was pretty awesome. But I generally dislike remakes. I never saw the A-Team because it looked horrible and Starsky & Hutch was funny, but could have just been its own movie with Stiller and Wilson. I typically avoid the remakes. I'm a HUGE movie person and watch tons of them via Netflix. I'm a bit of a movie collector as well and buy a lot of them. I love the Criterion Collection and I'm especially fond of indie films. I'm a huge fan of Tarantino films and some older classics.

As for musical remakes. No. Heck no. The only time I like older music used in newer music is when mashup artists like Girl Talk use them. I've been to one of his shows and it was quite possibly the most fun I've ever had at a live show. Granted, I'm 28 and love music. I'll listen to anything from Blues and Jazz to Classic Rock to Pop Rock and Hip Hop. I typically listen to indie or alternative rock. But when an artist can take all of the above and make music that gets your feet tapping and your face smiling, I love it. Regardless of whether they "butchered" the original song to make it happen.

Hollywood is not about talent. They're about bringing in the most viewers possible with marketing and hype. Sadly, we're going to see more and more remakes and the gaps will be filled with obscure stories and independent films that will never see the box office.

I'm with you guys. There are some things that need to be left alone.

· Registered
6,924 Posts
They have just run out of ideas for new scripts. You have a choice these days, re-makes that don't half compare to the originals, or extremely dumb poorly done movies made for eleven year olds.

I did get two decent movies from Red Box lately. "Hysteria", based on the actual history of "personal vibrators"; and "Red Dog", true story about a dog that adopted an Australian mining camp. James may know about that.

· Registered
5,007 Posts
I thought the remake of True Grit was pretty awesome.

I'm with you guys. There are some things that need to be left alone.
Yes, I'd say most things, but, like you, I think there some legitimate remakes.

I thought the remake of True Grit was pretty good, too, because it was interpreted and performed, differently, from the original and it was done, well. Left me with a sense of both versions having something special to offer. There will never be another Duke, but Bridges did the role very well and didn't attempt to be John Wayne.

In music, I loved Willie Nelson's Stardust album, not only because it was done so tastefully, but also because it brought a lot of those great old jazz standards to an audience who might otherwise never listen to them. To this day, I still meet people who think Willie actually wrote those songs. :)

In both examples, the remakes were done with respect and they contributed something. The vast majority of remakes, though, are nothing more than a lame attempt to cash in on the original.

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
I did get two decent movies from Red Box lately. "Red Dog", true story about a dog that adopted an Australian mining camp. James may know about that.
Heard about it, have seen the trailer, but haven't watched the movie.

· Registered
1,983 Posts
Keep in mind that many of the older movies and shows are from an older generation and will only be appreciated by older people. (A friend of mine calls them "old fart flicks") Most younger viewers are used to modern action and special effects & need something new. While I like many classic films, they can't come close to the special effects of today. For example, today I watched "Tora Tora Tora". While the movie was good for it's time, I couldn't believe how terrible the acting was & how outdated it feels compared to the movie "Pearl Harbor" made a few years ago. I was born in the late 1970's and grew up loving the "Star Wars" & "Star Trek" movies in the 80's, but am shocked at how many people today haven't seen them. That's just how it is. Back in the 50's & 60's people were probably complaining about the movies being made then too. If you don't want to see the remakes, stay home and save your money. That's what DVDs are for. :)

· Registered
1,849 Posts
an economical solution is available.....turn it off, pull the plug, save the electricity, learn to converse with loved ones again. Dixie is a wonderful place to visit.

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
turn it off, pull the plug, save the electricity, learn to converse with loved ones again.
Waste of time & money having one (TV) at my place.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.