Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading these posts for a while, but am a new member and this is my first post, so Hi everyone.
I have wanted a Blackhawk in .44 spl for years and have a couple of .357 mag. candidates. Does anyone know what I need to get to the pilot size of a .44 spl. reamer? I would like to get there with a piloted reamer to preserve alignment.
Second question, how tight are Blackhawk barrels screwed in from the factory? I have a .44 barrel from a 3 screw to replace the .357 barrel with.
This has been a long term want and I purchased a 50th. anniversary model for it, then ran across a beat up 3 screw, of course then Lipsey came out with the .44 spl. so now I have one but would still like to build one on the three screw frame.
Finally and I apologize for the long post are then any gunsmiths that do this conversion reasonably, I just can't afford a Hamilton Bowen or like although I wish I could.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Alan Harton in Houston will do it for a fair price and do it well. He has done a lot of work for me including rather exotic full blown customs. I believe the cylinder rechamber will cost around $150 or so. To remove and properly fit (recut threads to fit the smaller frame, proper front sight alignment, B-C gap, crown and forcing cone) your 44 barrel I guess around another $150 or so. Please don't quote me on the pricing, just give him a call or zip an email. The unknown is front sight height, assumption is that yours is tall enough and will not require replacement. Unfortunately I do not have his contact info with me here. Go to the other Ruger Forum and someone there can provide it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts