Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went searching for an inexpensive tool for adjusting the rear sight on my SR1911. Not to be found, cheapest one I could find was $50, and you need to use a 3/4 in. wrench on the nuts. Did read a thread though, on another forum, about using a spring loaded center punch. The fella filed down the tip flat, slid a spent .22 shell casing over the tip for protection. Held the slide firmly, and pressed the punch against the side of the sight, wait for the snap, sight moved. Sounds good on paper, but does it work? Anyone out there ever tried it? Snap-on tools has adjustable spring rate on theirs, so you can get a heavy tap or a light tap. Maybe all spring loaded center punches are adjustable, don't really know. Think it might work? I just can't justify the price they ask for the adjustment tool, won't use it that often.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hmmm, interesting to hear. I just this afternoon tried to adjust the rear sight on my SR1911. It is hitting to the right so I tried to drift it to the left using a brass punch and hammer. Couldn't get it to budge.
I would hate to spend that much for a tool that I would probably not use again once I got the sight adjusted.
I have been able to use the brass punch on other sights to move them and even to remove them - don't know why the 1911 has to be so tight. I sure wouldn't need that setscrew in there.

Anyone else dealt with this issue?

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Hmmm, interesting to hear. I just this afternoon tried to adjust the rear sight on my SR1911. It is hitting to the right so I tried to drift it to the left using a brass punch and hammer. Couldn't get it to budge.
I would hate to spend that much for a tool that I would probably not use again once I got the sight adjusted.
I have been able to use the brass punch on other sights to move them and even to remove them - don't know why the 1911 has to be so tight. I sure wouldn't need that setscrew in there.

Anyone else dealt with this issue?
Sorry, my SR1911 sights are dead on. I would think a small brass punch would work, though. Hate to ask the obvious, but you are loosening the allen screw first, right?

If you're hitting to the right, don't you want to adjust your rear sight in the same direction?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Sorry, my SR1911 sights are dead on. I would think a small brass punch would work, though. Hate to ask the obvious, but you are loosening the allen screw first, right?

If you're hitting to the right, don't you want to adjust your rear sight in the same direction?
After loosening the screw and not getting any movement, I took the screw completely out - still nothing.
You move the rear sight in the direction you want the POI to move to. In my case, since I am hitting to the right, I need the sight to move to the left.
I can compensate for it and have been, but I want it to be right so I don't have to remember which which gun I am shooting and what mental corrections I need to make.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
After loosening the screw and not getting any movement, I took the screw completely out - still nothing.
You move the rear sight in the direction you want the POI to move to. In my case, since I am hitting to the right, I need the sight to move to the left.
I can compensate for it and have been, but I want it to be right so I don't have to remember which which gun I am shooting and what mental corrections I need to make.
Sorry, I was thinking about it backwards last night. I've not had to adjust sights very often. Guess I'm lucky.

I forget which way it is each time. What I do is use my hands, one as the barrel, one as the sight. I align them both, then point the barrel hand towards the POI, keeping my sight hand in place. Then I can see which way to move the sights. Guess I should've done that last night. :eek:

·
Registered
747 Posts
When I wanted remove a dovetailed sight on my Henry, I first put some Kroil on the sight and let it set. I came off eaily after that. Before, I couldn't get it to budge with a brass punch.

·
Banned
402 Posts
If you are an experienced shooter then the move the sight, how you do it or accomplish that is up to you. I would try to find a gun shop that has one, you are correct it's an expensive tool, some are over $100-- make sure you drift the sight from the correct side.
Looking at the back of the pistol, some drift out right and some drift out left.
The dove tail slot most times is slightly tapered, a set screw does not insure a loose fit.
Now don't get all upset BUT just in-case you are a new shooter you may want to shoot off a good sand bag rest, nice and slow with a slow squeeze of the trigger.
That will tell you for sure how your pistol shoots. Most times High, low, left, right is shooter error and not the pistol. BUT like I said if you know what your doing then go ahead and drift the sight, and I certainly meant no disrespect, just trying to cover all the bases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts