Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm going to leave this here and update you on my CS experience with Ruger. I picked up a new 10/22 carbine last week in stainless/synthetic and got it to the range on Saturday. In no way was it an abusive range session, just took my time getting to know this rifle and those funny little magazines. Got everything sighted in, did some magazine change work and called it a day. I pulled it out of the safe on Sunday for a cleaning before the football game and the rear sight literally fell out of the dovetail! I called Ruger today and they're sending me a new rear right away to see if that's the problem. Said I might need a new barrel. Anyone ever hear of the sights just falling off? I'll update this as I get this figured out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could put a drop of blue loctite under the sight before the next range session. Sight the rifle in and then let the loctite dry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ruger got a new rear sight right out me and as soon as I had a few minutes I tried it out. I immediately noticed that it was different. 2 adjustment locking screws instead of 1 and a 1 piece base instead of what looked like a 2 piece that must have been bonded together somehow. Unfortunately the new sight didn't fit. It lined up and even with plenty of motivation from a brass drift and hammer it was a no go. I really didn't want the hassle of returning the rifle but I was equally disappointed that Ruger let this go out the door.
After some thought I got out some various sanding and polishing gear I keep on hand for trigger jobs and removed enough base material to get it mounted but it still took more force than I've ever used on a dovetail. Next time I'll scrutinize a new Ruger harder before I lay down my cash.
Oh, does anyone need a almost new rear sight? Maybe you could use some locktight and hope it doesn't come loose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You do realize that having to remove some metal to fit dovetail sights is common, right? This is certainly not exclusive to Ruger. Only way to assure a tight fit on any large sampling of guns which will naturally have some very minor dimension differences in the dovetails. And (of course), you fit the sight to the dovetail, not the dovetail to the sight. Or you send it back to the manufacturer and let them do it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've had the rear sight push right out with thumb pressure on a Browning pistol and the same for the front sight on a Kimber. Both cases I sent the guns to the manufacturer and asked them to please correct. Both were happy to do so and did a great job of repairing.

I learned a long time ago to let the experts correct there own problems. They have the parts, equipment, and expertise to do the job. I can live without any gun while I send it off to the mother ship for repairs. I have other guns to fill the void while it's gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts