Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have a 85' purchased Mini-14 in the 181-185 serial number range. Am thinking about getting it rebarreled, but see little from businesses such as Brownell's and others for any for sale. I haven't checked with Ruger yet. Have any of you ever rebarreled a Mini? What sources are available for barrels? If you have gone through Ruger, what options were available? Just checkin' out the possibilities. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Check Gun Parts Corp ( Numrich), they probably have one listed. When I checked a couple weeks ago they had ones for the Mini-30 and were about $90. I'm not sure about the Mini-14 as I wasn't looking for one of those.
After you find one you'll have to have it installed and headspaced by a smith.
You could call ASI and ask Carl or Rob if they have a take off Mini barrel, they should have lots, as they remove stock Mini barrels from customer's guns to install heavy barrels like the Shilen.
You can ask how much they want for the barrel, and how much to fit it. ASI is more expensive than many places, but they do good work, and you could get it all done there.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
So you just want to get a better quality barrel to replace the stock barrel ? Nothing wrong with your old barrel ? If there is nothing wrong with your old barrel, and you want to improve the accuracy, it would be much cheaper to bolt on an Accustrut. Your groups will be cut almost in half, groups won't climb up on the target as the barrel warms, and the barrel won't get near as warm in the first place with a strut.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Midway USA sells these.
Thinking about replacing my barrel on my 184.

Shilen Match Heavy Barrel Ruger Mini-14 Pre-580 Series 223 Remington 1 in 9" Twist 20" Chrome Moly in the White
Product #: 679776 Shilen #: Mini14 223 1x9MatchGradeCMHeavy

Read 2 Reviews
Write a Review
Shilen Match Heavy Barrel Ruger Mini-14 Pre-580 Series 223 Remington 1 in 9" Twist 20" Chrome Moly in the White
Enlarge
Zoom in

Clearance1 at this price
$204.73
Save $35.26 (15%)
Ships 01/04/2016 from MidwayUSA

Email this Page to a Friend

Quantity:

Shop more Shilen products

This heavy match barrel is made from chrome moly steel. Requires fitting and installation by a qualified gunsmith.

Technical Information

Shilen 20" Heavy Barrel for Ruger Mini-14(.223)

Material:

Chrome-moly steel

Length: 20"
Muzzle Diameter: .821 (21mm)

Twist Rate: 1 in 9

Notes:
Barrel is designed for Pre-580 series rifles with a 0.562" gas block
Installation does require some gunsmithing

Additional Information
Shilen Barrel Contours
Delivery Information

Shipping Weight: 3.100 Pounds
Ships Alone: No
DOT-Regulated: No
Carrier Restrictions: No
HazMat Product: No

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
HLH from other posts that I have read here on the Ruger Forum concerning barrel replacements & modifications to improve accuracy. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy another Mini 14. These rifle are not built for accuracy unless it's a Target model. My current Mini-14 Ranch Rifle is a 188 series gun. From what I have read one of the easiest ways to improve accuracy if your rifle has the "pencil thin" barrel is to install a barrel stabilizer. I found when wanting to do a simple modification to my Mini-14 there are 3 types of Barrel Stabilizers. Accu-Strut, Mo-Rod, & Trueshot Technologies. They run in cost from $59.00-to $109.00 all of them do about the same thing, when the barrel gets hot the stabilizer takes some of the movement out thus improving accuracy. I have also found that what sandog has mentioned is part of the reason that I bought a barrel stabilizer for my Mini-14. He's a good guy who knows his stuff. That's why the Ruger Forum over the years is my favorite place to come for discussing things about Rugers or just about any type of firearm.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info from all, thank you. Not looking to investing more $$$$ for a barrel that exceeds the $$$$ value of a new Mini though. The Accustrut add-on is interesting, but would like to replace with a heavier barrel. I'll have to take ideas from here and talk with my LGS guy who is into AR style shooting and up on modifications to semiauto rifles. I want to retain the option I have with my current Mini in having the option of either using the B-Square scope mount system and being able to dismount the scope and use 'iron sights' Have to give Ruger a call also, wonder if they even rebarrel or if the newer Mini barrels can be put on my 1985 era lead spitter. My Mini has digested many rounds over the years, can still reach out and touch at long range targets, but there is always the quest to improve. Love the Mini-14, it doesn't take a back seat to my S&W MP15 or any other AR types I've seen and/or shot.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Myself I like the looks of the Accu-Strut, on the mini-14 makes it look like an M-14, further the weight of the strut is insignificant. I did try the scope mount you mentioned (B-Square) however, it would not hold zero, kept loosening up. I ended up putting a scope mount (brain fart, can't remember the name) that required removing the rear sight, and installing the one piece mount, which is rock solid, and I installed a Vortex scope. I shrunk the groups from 5-6"s down to 1-1.5" groups after doing a simple trigger job, and installing it in a Choate over molded stock, and installing a flash suppressor. I've got photo's of that little gem here somewhere, I'll try to bring them up and show you.

DSCN1290.JPG

DSCN1291.JPG

DSCN1292.JPG

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Called Ruger, they advised that the 181-185 series of Mini's as mine is (184) would take some $$$$ to convert over to one of their heavier and newer barrels. Advised they don't stock the older model barrels any more and the conversion would require besides the new barrel, some machining/fitting, and a multitude of new parts to refit. The Ruger tech advised to offset the cost, they offer a 'trade in' for a new Mini-14 at a reduced cost, but many who do call them turn it down due to wanting to keep their original Mini.
The AccuStrut addition as several of you have mentioned looks like a good addition, both in looks and what it does. My barrel isn't shot out, but has had many rounds through it, is the older 1 in 10 twist, and is not as heavy as I wish it to be. As I penned earlier, I want to retain a barrel with a front site and flash cage and be able to take the scope off and use the iron sights, which I do from time to time. The B-Square mount I have used since I bought the Mini in 85' holds its zero when taking it off and remounting. I use nothing but a Weaver 4 power Widefield scope that I bought from a guy several years before I even bought the Mini. Reaches out and touches what I'm aiming at. It may not be a minute of angle rifle and setup, but it works. Many may say why fix what isn't broke? All I can say is "Boys and their toys"!

·
Exalted One
1,808 Posts
Hard to shoot out a mini's barrel.

A B-square mount should allow you to shoot without removing the scope (mine did). Add an AccuStrut, Mo-Rod, or TrueShot and you'll be right up there with the accuracy of the AR platform.

Beware of your LGS's biases. You'll regret giving up on your mini!

At worst, plug in a Shilen barrel and happy shooting! The mini platform is hard to beat for reliability and fun.

Or, just buy a new Mini tactical!

My 181 Mini, to quote Uncle Charles, "from my cold, dead, hands"...

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Donnie BDay 2014Mini-14 006.JPG

Donnie BDay 2014Mini-14 010.JPG

Donnie BDay 2014Mini-14 011.JPG Here are some pics of my Mini-14. I've shot it so much through the years, it feels more at home in my hands than my newer S&W MP15 or any other AR I've shot. Would feel confident with it if I would have to use it for any defensive situation or laying a bead on Mr Willy Fox. The stock is a Choate with a custom check rest. Check rest made out of old towel with Gorilla Tape wrapped around it. It works! I've never had the B-Square mount loosen up while shooting or carrying. I carry and retain a JFK 50 cent coin to use as a screwdriver-fits the mounts side screw and has good leverage for tightening and loosening. Works for me!

·
Registered
46 Posts
HogLeg Hauler - Nice looking mini!
I started a similar thread with the same question that you had and sandog and and some of the others gave me the same advice as they gave you: install an Accu-strut and get a trigger job (my mini is a 182 series).
So I took a chance and followed sandog and the other guys advice and what a difference! Without replacing the barrel, my accuracy at 100 yards went from around 4 MOA to 1-1.5! I feel that it did the job, cost me less than a barrel replacement and the Accu-strut increased to cool factor of my mini too. The trigger job probably did just as much to help the accuracy too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks to all the info, I've researched all the info on this forum and others and all I can find about them on the web and believe it is indeed a fine product. As I posted on another thread on this forum, I should have researched the 'Strut' a little more prior to posting, but didn't and if I had seen anything about them, I probably ignored it, figuring the Strut was one of the many quick fixes that come along from time to time, but doesn't really work. I'm going to take another look at my barrel rifling and maybe take the 'Strut' plunge. I'll report back if I do so. Looking at rebarreling, as I reported earlier, one from Ruger would be a lot of refitting and $$$, as would sending it off to a private gunsmith. I had always envisioned a heavier barrel on it, but nothing like a Shilen. I may take Sanddogs advice and contact ASI to see if they have any Mini barrels around that are of the same receiver fit as mine that are in excellent condition. I have the $$$ to do one of the pricey refits, but don't care to invest that much in the rifle. Will report any/all changes when I get around doing it. crkennedy1: Thank you, good report on your addition of a 'Strut'.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Here is my ASI heavy barrel. A .750 gas block with .820 out to the muzzle. 21" 1/8 twist.

kwg
I've seen pictures of your rifle many times and every time I see them kwg I always start drooling from the mouth. As soon as hit the power ball I'm gonna get 3 of them :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
Thanks Kame. It's still like new and I've had it a long time. My hope is I can really retire someday and can wear it out.

kwg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts