Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a Kidd receiver for a build but want to see if anyone has suggestions for another company that makes a good receiver.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Kidd is generally looked at as the best regardless of what it is. I'd have to say though that unless you're going to go to that same level of quality for the rest of the build (bolt, barrel, trigger, optics, stock/bedding) as well as using GOOD ammo, you'll gain nothing over the factory one. Anything less is like having a Ferarri body with a Kia engine and retread tires - all show and no go.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a rifle I built up with a Kidd classic receiver, and the rest of the rifle is all Kidd except the stock, trigger housing and magazines.

It has a Kidd 16" heavy barrel, Kidd bolt and Kidd drop in trigger kit. It will shoot 3/8" one hole 10 shot groups (not 3 or 5 shot groups) all day long for me at 50 yards with a Nikon 4-12 x 44 Monarch scope on it and using a Harris bypod, no bags. It has a Hogue rubber stock, using a 0 degree rail and Burriss siganature Zee rings.

I have another rifle built up exactly the same except for a 2009 built Ruger receiver, Weaver scope rail and a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x42 scope.

I have to say they shoot so close to even that the scope has more of an effect on my groups than anything. I have swapped scopes between them and find I shoot slightly better with the Monarch scope in spite of it having a tiny bit lass magnafication.

The build quality and finish on the Kidd receiver is light years ahead of the Ruger. The scope base on the Kidd is a really nice design as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
where do you guys find the............

Seems everyone is shooting 3/8" groups at 50 yards or better with stock old parts and a 2 to 2.5 lb trigger.. Show your cards guys. What ammo does the Ruger like? ok then have fun

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought two kid barrels, no luck at all. I am not a Kidd fan when it comes to the barrels he sells. They also do not not have a very good chamber.
Just saying, They Replaced both barrels they never did shoot very good.

But a local smith talked me into hes barrel work re done chamber and crown. I am biting the bit waiting for some nice weather to shoot. But my Savage .22 lr bolt action rifle shoots great, i do love the savage Great Gun. not a lot of aftermarket parts but really you do not need them. Great Trigger. They are good deals. I wish T/C would make a bolt action .22lr rifle.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Go Kidd and don't look back. Mine is all Kidd except for the Lilja barrel. The only Ruger part left is the magazine.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts