Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I took my P95 to the range with me on Wednesday of this week and boy was it a reminder of how well this gun can shoot. Lately I have been leaving it behind and renting other guns b/c I'm trying to find a gun for concealed carry. But after this last trip to the range i'm thinking about trying to carry the P95. My concern is the size and weight of it though.

I shot the Glock 26...didn't like it all all (Funny b/c I like the Glock 19). It constantly felt like it wanted to jump out of my hand (This is probably due to the shorter barrel i'm sure. ). And i didn't care too much for the short stubby handle either.

I wasn't able to test the XD9 SC b/c someone else was hogging it on another lane. I would assume that it feels about the same as the G26 but I could be wrong.

I originally thought about selecting a small, slim 9mm or .380 like the KelTec PF9 or P11, LCP .380, or the Bersa Thunder .380 as my CC gun.

But I'm torn. My job requires me to dress business casual so I will need to wear my gun IWB (except for the weekends). And it would more than likely be worn in a holster that allows me to tuck the shirt.

What would you do in this situation? Would you carry the Ruger P95? Or would you buy a different gun for CC?

Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
i used to carry my keltec p11

afer i bought my p95 and see how accurate it is i bout a unckle mikes size 5 iwb and thats all i carry now

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have been carrying a P95 for quite a while now. It is no problem at all in the Crossbreed Super Tuck holster. The weight is no problem at all.
Of course I was carrying a P89 before the P95 :) When I carry tucked I prefer my High Noon Split Decision holster for that.

I have no problems concealing it wearing a T shirt and shorts.

A G19 might conceal just a bit easier but I doubt it as the P95 isn't that much bigger in my way of thinking.

tk

·
Banned
723 Posts
It can be tough to select what gun to carry for CCW.

I myself carry two or three guns, with at least two reloads. Since I don't envision needing all the rounds in a Glock 19, with a reload, I'm happy packing a pair of Revolvers or three. Find what you shoot best and then figure out a way to conceal it, within reason.

I most often carry a 3" GP100 IWB and will be carrying an SP101 OWB on the support side as soon as I get the gun back from Ruger. I'm testing their Warranty Department right now. :( My third gun is either on the ankle or in my pocket, depending on if I'm wearing shorts or not.

One thing that helps in concealing a gun is using a quality Holster and Belt. I favor Milt Sparks, Matt Del Fatti and Mitch Rosen for my Belts and Holsters. Holsters are designed to work as a "unit" with a proper Belt. Therefore, when you buy a Holster, spend the money for a Belt too.

If I'm not carrying my 3" GP100 as my Primary I have a Glock 19 or a 5" 1911.

Biker

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I did buy a Blackhawk nylon IWB holster before I left the range (similar to the uncle mike's) to see how I liked it (just the first $13 of the hundreds I'm sure I'll spend trying to find the right holster for me). I tried it on just a few minutes ago for the first time and I have to admit, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

What position do you wear yours? I tried it at the 3 and 4 o'clock positions.

I've been considering the crossbreed supertuck holster as well. I think I'd like to have that padding against my waist to keep the gun from sticking into my side.

But again, it's not nearly as heavy or uncomfortable as I thought it would be. Maybe my opinion will be different after actually wearing it for a full day.

But with my job I will definitely need a holster that allows me to tuck my shirt in. I didn't even think about that when I picked up this holster.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If, IF, you decide on a .380, I would recommend taking a look at a Sig P232. Sweet little popper! And its profile makes it easy to conceal.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The crossbreed super tuck will carry a P95 fine. Will probably be the last holster you think you need if you are built so that there is not a big bulge when carrying tucked.

I am a skinny sort and that kydex stick out like a tumor if I tuck it. That said. I have seen plenty of guys using the same holster and it didn't show.

Untucked it is the most comfy way to carry a P series Ruger I have had.

IMHO

tk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If, IF, you decide on a .380, I would recommend taking a look at a Sig P232. Sweet little popper! And its profile makes it easy to conceal.
That's what made me even consider a .380 for CC. I shot a sig p232 at the range a few weeks back and if felt great. Slim, accurate, and looks like it would be easy to carry. But the price for the Sig is a bit of a reach for me right now...that's why I'm considering the Bersa. I've read some great reviews about the Bersa .380.

What do all of the Ruger fans here think about the Bersa .380 as a concealed carry weapon?

·
Registered
300 Posts
That's what made me even consider a .380 for CC. I shot a sig p232 at the range a few weeks back and if felt great. Slim, accurate, and looks like it would be easy to carry. But the price for the Sig is a bit of a reach for me right now...that's why I'm considering the Bersa. I've read some great reviews about the Bersa .380.

What do all of the Ruger fans here think about the Bersa .380 as a concealed carry weapon?
I have the Bersa 380CC model and can carry in front pocket in a UM #4 pocket holster. I tried IWB with my P95, but no go, just too big and uncomfortable. The Bersa 380CC model is a great little gun, all the features and plenty reliable. The standard model is a tad large for easy pocket carry, but good in a holster I guess. I have the same pistol in 22lr for cheap range and fun. 100% lifetime warranty makes it perfect. Just load up with Corbon DPX and you have a potent performer. Of course, if I did not already have it I would consider the LCP. I just like pocket carry, never got used to holster, belt carry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You wouldn't happen to have any pics of your Bersa .380 pocket holster would you? I didn't think it was small enough for pocket carry. My daily style for work is usually slacks or khakis. But on off days and weekends I'm in jeans. Do you have to have cargos to carry the Bersa .380?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Try the XD9 sub if you can. I shot one and really liked how it handled and the accuracy. I also like that it comes with the mag with the grip extension to make it into a compact instead of a subcompact.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
jfrink2, I was in the same boat as you. I have to dress business casual to business on most days (we slack off a little on Fridays, if no customers are due to visit). A inside the waist holster will either a clip or have loops that hang over and connect to the belt, which is visible when a shirt is tucked into the pants, which could give away that your carrying something.

So I alternate between a belly band and a concealed carry shirt.

Belly Band:

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/44_Belly+Band+Holsters/609_The+Original+Belly+Band

Concealed Tshirt:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0051056943425a.shtml

If you get a white concealed T shirt, it looks just like a normal T Shirt that someone would wear under business dress anyways... :) I carried a Kimber Ultra Carry 1911, HK USP Compact, and a SP101 easily in both.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts