Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping for rechargeable AA batteries. What I've found is the best batteries avaiable in the USA is 2800mAh but you can buy 3500mAh that are only written in Chinese. Makes me wonder why? Is it they only sell 2800mAh so they can sell us more sooner?

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
I've never had good luck with rechargeable batts. I've completely gone back to throw-aways.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I've been shopping for rechargeable AA batteries. What I've found is the best batteries avaiable in the USA is 2800mAh but you can buy 3500mAh that are only written in Chinese. Makes me wonder why? Is it they only sell 2800mAh so they can sell us more sooner?
I've had very good luck with Energizer's top of the line rechargeables. I've found that with a full charge they deliver more power than fresh regular batteries and often last longer than regular batteries. Their still NiCad, but they work great. Don't waste your money on the lithium. I did and was very disappointed.

I have several and rotate them out and use them in flashlights and cameras.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I've had very good luck with Energizer's top of the line rechargeables. I've found that with a full charge they deliver more power than fresh regular batteries and often last longer than regular batteries. Their still NiCad, but they work great. Don't waste your money on the lithium. I did and was very disappointed.

I have several and rotate them out and use them in flashlights and cameras.
I have had the same luck with the energizer ones. I use them in my Streamlight and my Eotech.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
With Energizers? That's the last brand of rechargeables I tried and they began losing power after about 8-10 charges.

I think they are better for cameras, but general use, even Consumer Reports says to use throw-aways.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The only type of rechargeables worth a darn are Eneloop by Sanyo. All the other ones lose their charge way too quickly ( like half their charge gone in a month, just sitting there). Milliamp hours is not the deciding factor for batteries unless you are using them up and recharging them every couple days. The rate of spontaneous discharge is the key. The Eneloops can be treated just like alkalines... They are rated at 2000 mAh, but they will still have there charge after they have been off the charger for a few days, and they will not suffer from the memory effect seen even on other brands' NiMh batteries...

I use Eneloops in everything, and will never go back to throw away batteries.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I have used rechargeables for years before they have failed.
Maybe ours are different over here.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have used rechargeables for years before they have failed.
Maybe ours are different over here.
Threefiveseven is right about how long the batteries keep the charge. What I'm finding is batteries designed for other countries are better. Go figure.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Eneloop batteries are the ONLY rechargeable battery even remotely worth their cost. I use all sorts of high end DSLR cameras with flashes and other accessories that use up batteries lightning fast and the Eneloops are the only ones that last more than about 6 months..... My Eneloops are from 6 months old to roughly 4 years old and they all still hold a great charge. Might not be made in the USA but they sure do last very well after years of hard use. I believe they are 3000mAh which beats out most of the rest.

Energizers that I have are total trash and several didn't even hold a charge right out of the box... waste of money if you ask me.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eneloop batteries are the ONLY rechargeable battery even remotely worth their cost. I use all sorts of high end DSLR cameras with flashes and other accessories that use up batteries lightning fast and the Eneloops are the only ones that last more than about 6 months..... My Eneloops are from 6 months old to roughly 4 years old and they all still hold a great charge. Might not be made in the USA but they sure do last very well after years of hard use. I believe they are 3000mAh which beats out most of the rest.

Energizers that I have are total trash and several didn't even hold a charge right out of the box... waste of money if you ask me.
I have some 800's that aren't very good but the 2800's are good.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The only type of rechargeables worth a darn are Eneloop by Sanyo. All the other ones lose their charge way too quickly ( like half their charge gone in a month, just sitting there). Milliamp hours is not the deciding factor for batteries unless you are using them up and recharging them every couple days. The rate of spontaneous discharge is the key. The Eneloops can be treated just like alkalines... They are rated at 2000 mAh, but they will still have there charge after they have been off the charger for a few days, and they will not suffer from the memory effect seen even on other brands' NiMh batteries...

I use Eneloops in everything, and will never go back to throw away batteries.
I'll second that. Eneloop by Sanyo are the best. I have about 50 of the AA's and I think 10 of the AAA's that I've had for years. They have a very low self discharge rate compared to other brands. I just wish they made them in C and D sizes and with solder tabs to make battery packs. Sanyo and Panasonic have always been two of the best rechargeable battery manufacturers.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I'll add to the chorus of approval for the Eneloops.

GunLover ... they do make C and D size adapters that can be used with the AA Eneloops.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I never heard of them until now so I Googled them. I'll have to try some. The only thing about the Energizers NiMH is that they don't hold a charge if they're not used. These claim to. Worth a try.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I never heard of them until now so I Googled them. I'll have to try some. The only thing about the Energizers NiMH is that they don't hold a charge if they're not used. These claim to. Worth a try.
I have never heard of them either. Where have you guys been buying them?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have some 800's that aren't very good but the 2800's are good.
Funny you mention that too, I have been told before that their (energizers) lower mAh are better and last longer, and now the opposite here haha. My problem with batteries in my equipment is that they sometimes sit there not being used for weeks and even months sometimes. Eneloops are hard to find so I might give the higher mAh energizers another go.... for science of course haha

·
Super Moderator
21,415 Posts
Funny you mention that too, I have been told before that their (energizers) lower mAh are better and last longer, and now the opposite here haha. My problem with batteries in my equipment is that they sometimes sit there not being used for weeks and even months sometimes. Eneloops are hard to find so I might give the higher mAh energizers another go.... for science of course haha

Amazon has multiple choices for them.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
For high-demand devices such as digital cameras/camcorders and camera flashes, go with rechargeable batteries. For a wireless mouse or keyboard, the TV remote, LED flashlights, etc., go with either standard Alkaline or Energizer Lithium batteries. I put a set of Energizer Lithium batteries in a wireless mouse and keyboard so long ago that I've forgotten. I switched to a nicer mouse and moved the batteries from the old mouse to the new mouse. That was about a year ago. I'm guessing those Lithium batteries are going on about 3 years now.

Anyone that says rechargeable batteries aren't worth the money hasn't used modern rechargeable batteries. Get yourself a good name brand (we have great luck with Energizer and Eneloop Batteries). I especially like the Eneloop batteries by Sanyo because they come pre-charged. You use them right out of the package. Get yourself a good charger (Energizer makes a 30-minute charger that is AMAZING).

My wife and I are wedding photographers. We have 5 flash units (2 Canon 580 EXII and 3 Canon 430 EXII). We use Energizer and Eneloop batteries in them all (we have about 36 rechargeable batteries in total). During a wedding, we'll take upwards of 2500 photos between the two of us. Our flashes will cycle as many as 1000 times. We have yet to have a set of rechargeable batteries fail or not go the distance after several charges.

Get good, name brand batteries. Ours are 2400 and 2800mAh. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between 2400/2800 and 3200. I'd be surprised if the Chinese batteries were actually more than the US equivalent. The saying "You get what you pay for" really applies to electronics and power supplies. Get good batteries and a good charger. It'll cost you $50 up front, but you'll be using them in 3-5 years.

Here's a scenario for you: Your camera needs 4 AA batteries. You buy Alkalines at $6 for 4 of them. You get 100 shots before your camera is dead. You buy another set and get 100 shots. And another. Do that 4 times and you've spent $24 on batteries for 400 shots on your camera. Now, buy a set of rechargeable AA batteries for $25 and get 500 shots on your camera. Then recharge them and get 500 more shots. You've now gotten 1000 shots for $25. To get that many shots with Alkalines, you would have spent $60.

Rechargeable batteries are an up-front investment that you need to make if you have high-demand electronic devices.

I worked at a camera store for 5 years or so and I've had this conversation with people literally hundreds of times.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The higher the number the more energy they can hold. But it also means the more energy they can loss sitting around. Rechargeable batteries are designed to be used. If they aren't being used they go dead faster than regular batteries.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts