Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a 44mag blackhawk hunter.I will be putting a scope on it.I want to know the felt recoil between the two. Have a standard in 45 colt and a birdshead grip 45 acp.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should look closer before I post. But my phone is small. I did not see the other post.still would like to know the difference in the roll or lack thereof.

·
Registered
865 Posts
As close as I can come is 45 Colt. I have a Bisley and several plow handles. When shooting hot 45 loads the Bisley tends to come back at you and not "roll up" like a plow handle. To me there is more felt recoil.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tend to like the Bisley grip frame, and have been slowly but surely converting my plowhandles to Bisleys. For me, it fills the hand better, I can get a better purchase on the grip, and felt recoil is much less. It really is personal preference, and to the extent that you can hold and shoot both, I'd certainly recommend it.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Very much a personal preference. For me, the Bisley is always the easier grip for handling recoil. In fact, it was the only way I could shoot the 454 SBH. For some, though, it's the plow handle. Really need to try both.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I will just get the bisley so I have one of each. If I don't like it I can change it later. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have a SBH 44 mag 7.5 bbl and I have shot the 7.5 Bisley version. They both shoot great, the Bisley feels to me like the recoil is more like a direct push back. Where with my "Dragoon" Plow handle gun it rotates more. I like them both, maybe I prefer the Plow. I would say if anything the Bisley holds on target a little better. I’d have one of each…

·
Registered
905 Posts
i personally like the bisley better but have and shoot both,

i would say buy whatever grip you prefer after holding both, as for recoil these hunter models are heavy thus taming recoil significantly compared to the other models IMHO

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
doomdweller,

Welcome to the forum.

I pretty agree with most of the comments above: the Bisley grip puts more absorption of the recoil in your hand and arm and less of the impact is dissipated by the 'roll up' of the gun in the hand.

A Bisley is similar to shooting a S&W DA 44 Mag compared to a Ruger 44 Mag SA plow handle. The Smith grip hurts more.

Also comparing recoil with a Bisley grip to the smaller size plow handle grip is hardly a valid comparison. I still prefer the plow handle grip but I much prefer the large size plow handle to the Bisley:

I don't know how anyone can say they need the Bisley for the 454 or 480 when they aren't made with any plow handle grips, especially the larger Hunter plow handle, to compare with! My 454 is more comfortable with the SBH Hunter plow handle grip frame that I had to add.

Here's something else to consider: KNUCKLE SPACE BEHIND TRIGGER GUARD

When I do the measurements, the Bisley grip is .177" (almost 3/16”) closer to the trigger guard than the standard XR3-RED size (aluminum and steel), and the SBH Dragoon/SBH Hunter grip frames which have the most space.

Because the larger Bisley trigger guard is also closer to the grip frame, giving the Bisley the absolute least space of any Ruger grip frame. Even closer than the old 'knuckle busting' XR3 size plow handle grip frame! The XR3-RED size and the SBH plow handle grip frames with more distance behind the trigger guard, have the benefit of less chance of rapping the knuckle under recoil.

See Cary's sketch below:

There's an increased difference (~3/16”) in horizontal finger distance behind the trigger guard on the Hunter (and standard XR3-RED size Gripframe), compared to the Bisley grip with less space. The Hunter and Bisley GFs I’ve measured are actually very close in vertical forestrap length space for fingers to the butt. The Bisley is longer on the backstrap which I think is why some may prefer it, but it also restricts ‘roll up’ to dissipate recoil:

Here’s a good illustration:
Dustin Linebaugh Custom Conversions - Gallery

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have only owned one centerfire single action, and that is my original Vaquero Bisley in .45 Colt. I got a Bisley because I had shot a friends' Blackhawk, and I don't get along with the plowhandle. Yes, it rolls up with recoil, but the same tendency makes it impossible for me to get a secure grip on the gun. So— the Bisley works.

·
Premium Member
4,201 Posts
Ford vs Chevy. I have both and I much prefer the Bisley for heavy recoiling guns.

I never got the hang of the 'roll' method with plow handles. It's the opposite to everything I know about shooting a handgun. I've always used a firm grip on my pistols and the idea of purposely letting the gun move in my hand just ain't right for me. Personally, I think the shape of the plow handle causes the rolling motion and I doubt it was intentionally designed to do that. I think that over the last 130 years folks have learned to shoot plow handle guns that way because there really isn't any alternative. The grip isn't big enough to get a good firm grip and hang on to it during heavy recoil.

None of this is good or bad. It's just one man's opinion of plow handle vs Bisley in regards to recoil. I only have two Bisley gripped guns but I have 8 plow handles Rugers. IMO unless it's a big recoiling gun either grip is just fine. I happen to think the Bisley's are better looking but that's purely subjective.

One more thing on recoil. You can find plenty of posts on the interweb where folks say they prefer Bisley over plow handle for big recoil but the opposite is less common. There are folks that prefer the plow handle for recoil but a casual observation would suggest they are in the minority.

I absolutely agree with the comments that recommend shooting both before deciding. What works for me may not work for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not too sure that movement of the revolver in the hand is conducive to accuracy but I will experiment . I think the plow handle was designed for tacking up WANTED posters.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just don't like the look of the Bisley gripframe. To me a single action revolver just looks right with the plow handle. Having said that, I haven't shot anything with a Bisley gripframe. What I have done is shot some different DA .44 Mags, Redhawk, S&W M29, heavy vent DW .44 and Astra .44s. They all push right back into your hand, that's just what they do... what I liked about shooting the SBH was the way it rolled back in your hand under recoil, distinctly different to the DA guns and very pleasing to me. It's what makes shooting a single action different and fun, you just gotta love shooting big bore single actions to have them ride back in your hand. So, I'm biased, but why have a single action do exactly what a DA does?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I'm not too sure that movement of the revolver in the hand is conducive to accuracy but I will experiment . I think the plow handle was designed for tacking up WANTED posters.
People have been shooting plow handle SA's for over a hundred years that way without any accuracy problems. Whether your hand moves with the revolver or not, revolvers were designed with movement under recoil in mind. Read up on front sight height considerations on revolvers and you'll get your fill of muzzle climb design considerations in revolvers. The bullet's on its way, a little roll in your hand won't change anything.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I have had no problems shooting accurately with the plow handle. I have a couple of Bisley grip framed revolvers, but rarely get them out. The plow handle suits me just fine ... and as stated above it has suited others over many many years. To me, the 'only' advantage of the Bisley is it does tame (somewhat) recoil for 'heavy' loads... And my definition of heavy starts with a 240g bullet moving around 1300fps on up.... I don't do heavy. That's a been-done. 1200fps is all I need around here, and general loads are in the 900fps to 1100fps range. Still like the heavy bullet though. 240s for the .44s, 158s for .357s, 250-260 for the .45s.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Give both a try, as mentioned. Actually, some of the most accurate revolvers I've ever owned, SA or DA, have been the plow handle SAs. For instance, our 357 Flat Top 357 convertible with the plow handle shoots every bit as well as our much more expensive S&W 357s. Don't talk yourself into a Bisley for the sake of accuracy.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I have 2 "original" Vaqueros in 45Colt...one is a Bisley with the factory stocks and the other is my "George Patton" fancy plow grip with the high dollar and very slippery pearl handles...I shoot lighter lead handloads in the fancy one (the throats have been reamed to keep the leading to a bare minimum) and never shoot the high end stuff in it...I can't hold on to it with hot stuff and it really hurts these old arthritic hands...I shoot the warmer stuff in the Bisley and normally not lead bullets...I like them both but with equal loads I'd probably prefer the Bisley.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts