Ruger Forum banner

Recoil difference between SR9c vs LC9s

8K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Spike12 
#1 ·
As an owner of an SR9c I know the recoil is very mild. My fiancee will be obtaining her CCP next week. I plan on taking her to shoot the LCP then the SR9c for her first experience. I don't see her liking the LCP much as I don't care for it much myself. I don't think the recoil of SR9c will be much of a problem for her, but she likes the size and weight if the LC9s. Is there a substantial increase in recoil firing the lighter, smaller LC9s?

Thanks Mel

#4 ·
Simple math, using the standard formula, says that the LC9s will have more felt recoil, because it is lighter in weight. HOWEVER, there seems to be something about the geometry of the LC9s which reduces the "perceived" recoil, which means I can handle it about as well as my SP with similar energy loads, in a heavier (SP) handgun.

#5 ·
I haven't shot a LC9s but I do know felt recoil is subjective depending on, as you put it, the geometry as well as the hand grip applied. Have the lady shoot both if possible and she can be the judge.

My wife has shot my Security-Six, LCR, LCP and prefers the recoil of her Glock 19, gem 4. Yes, I'm surprised also.

#9 ·
I have both pistols. In the "feel" sense, the difference in recoil is small. Certainly not enough to worry about in terms of hurting your hand. But, in draw-and-shoot drills, especially multiple shots, it is definitely harder to keep the LC9s on target because of its smaller size and weight.

#10 ·
The mechanical side says; same bullet, lighter gun == more recoil into YOU.

Then there's 'felt recoil' which is a function of the gun's design vs. your hand's design.

Then there's the gun's design priorities and where shooting comfort is on the priority list.

SR9/c: just look at the width of the grip. It will distribute the recoil into your hand over a wider area - probably less felt recoil but then the SR9 isn't really designed for CCW work. It's a open carry duty gun.

The LC9 and the LCP ARE designed for CCW purposes. SO comfort is WAY down the list and so shooting comfort should not be a strong determining factor in picking one. Reliability and stealth come first in a CCW gun, then your ability to control it for effective shot placement.

#11 · (Edited)
As a matter of physics the LC9/S will have greater felt recoil, if only for the smaller grip and shorter barrel. With that said I love my LC9S for its portability, trigger and the fact that I can shoot it quite well compared to many of my double stacks, and sometimes even better. Go for it, I think she will be better off with it than the LCP, which is smaller but more challenging to hit her target with under pressure.

#13 ·
Felt recoil is a personal matter for everyone. I own both. The SR9c is a pleasure to shoot and hardly any felt recoil. I'm very comfortable with it with either magazine - perhaps ever slightly more comfortable with the larger grip of the 17 rd mag. due to the larger grip. I also own a SR22 and honestly I can say that I don't feel any discernible more recoil with the SR9c over the little 22. On the other hand, I definitely feel the recoil on my LC9s. Enough so that getting a quick second shot on target is a bit of a challenge. The LC9s is a pleasure to carry but I only consider it really solid for under 30' range due to the snappier nature and tough second and third shots. That's me. Everyone's mileage varies.

#14 ·
Felt recoil is a personal matter for everyone. I own both. The SR9c is a pleasure to shoot and hardly any felt recoil. I'm very comfortable with it with either magazine - perhaps ever slightly more comfortable with the larger grip of the 17 rd mag. due to the larger grip. I also own a SR22 and honestly I can say that I don't feel any discernible more recoil with the SR9c over the little 22. On the other hand, I definitely feel the recoil on my LC9s. Enough so that getting a quick second shot on target is a bit of a challenge. The LC9s is a pleasure to carry but I only consider it really solid for under 30' range due to the snappier nature and tough second and third shots. That's me. Everyone's mileage varies.
I also have all three. And I would agree with you that felt recoil is a personal matter.

Personally I feel a big difference in the felt recoil between the 9mm SR9c and the SR22. My LC9s has a bit more than the SR9c.

The SR22 weighs in at about 18 oz with about 80 ft/lbs of energy in a .22lr round.

The SR9c is 23.5 oz empty and a typrical 9mm round is about 330 ft/lbs or 4 times the energy. That 6-7 oz just doesn't cover the energy difference in my experience.

The weight differential is about the same for the LC9s/SR9c... it is very close in weight to the SR22.

If you think the LC9s is snappy, try a LCP sometime.

#15 ·
All agreed "felt" recoil is subjective. I think, for me, it's the larger grip on the SR9c that makes it work so well for me AND conversely the smaller grip on the LC9s (along with weight differential) that makes it snappier. Also have a G17 that is a comfortable shooter - heavier yet and despite the grip being a bit boxy for my taste.

For the OP, his fiancées hands are are going to be best for determining what feels comfortable and manageable to her. Spike and Doggy nailed the distinctions between physics and ergonomics.

I haven't shot an LCP. Maybe not one of my most well thought out criterion, but I'm trying to limit myself to 9mm and 22lr to avoid having too many calibres of ammo to juggle.

#16 ·
Keep in mind through all this that the purpose of the guns in question is NOT shooting comfort. CCW guns have reliability and concealment as priorities way above comfort.

When the LCP first came out our LGS sold them in droves but also got them back in droves. Guys were buying them because of their price and the cute factor. However, after a day at the range the reality of using a CCW gun as range gun became apparent.

We tried to tell them.... 'Ah, it won't be so bad'

#17 ·
You didn't mention how much experience your fiance has with handguns, but I would NOT start her on the LCP. It is likely to scare her away from shooting altogether or teach her a really good flinch.

Start her with the least recoil possible, preferably something in 22, so she can get comfortable shooting. Then find a range with rentals and start with full size and work down in size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.