Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BLR has been at the gunsmith for almost 5 weeks to get a decelerator installed. They told me it would take about 2 weeks. I am getting ready to go get it back without the work done if its not finished this week.

I guess that means I will be installing one myself. I see that the best ones seem to be the grind to fit ones. I don't have a power sander. How hard would this be to do by hand? Any other tips, tricks or product suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
304 Posts
What kind are they to install ??
I can't think of any that would take even two weeks,
even if they are busy..

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They just said it was their standard grind to fit decelerator. After looking on the Pachmayr website, I'm not sure which one it would be. I'm getting pretty annoyed with them. It's Carter's Country here in Houston. They are the biggest gunsmith here and have done well for me before. Certainly not this time though.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
...How hard would this be to do by hand? Any other tips, tricks or product suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!
I've done at least two by hand, that I can remember, and to be honest, it took me a good while with rough sandpaper to get that rubber to wear down. (whew!)

But it can be done, and the only suggestions I would make is to wrap tape around the stock (I used the electric type) so you can protect it from sanding scratches, and be careful not to taper the pad thinner towards it's face.

Only picture I can find of one of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts