Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I just wanted to say that I've read alot of useful info from you guys and it's helped this newbie understand things better. I just bought a used P95 recently and got to shoot it yesterday at the range. I had a great time since I hadn't shot a pistol in about ten years. I put about 200 rounds through it with no problems. This is my first gun and I'm still learning but I do have a question. I did a field strip of my pistol today and noticed this little recoil spring retainer came loose in my lap after I pulled the recoil springs out. I watched a video online of a guy showing how to disassemble a P-95 and this little retainer was attatched to his recoil springs when he took his apart. I put the gun back together and made sure everything worked and everything seems to be fine but now it's got me wondering that this little piece is gonna effect the performance of my gun. I did a search on the internet and have read that the spring assembly retainer will come off after a while and that the people just continue to shoot the gun as it had no effect on performance just made it a little harder to assemble when field stripping it. Thanks for the help everyone and I hope I haven't confused anyone here.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What you read is correct. You can shoot the pistol without a problem. However, I suggest you call Ruger service in Prescott and tell them about it. They will probably relace the whole ass'y for you.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad you like your P 95. Call Ruger and see if they will send you
a new spring with retainer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had this same problem just this week. A couple of days ago I made a post on this forum about the retainer coming off. I called Ruger and they said they would send me a package of three of these retainers by return mail. Also, I reassembled the P95 without the retainer and it appears that it will cycle correctly. Haven't had it to the range yet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have the same problem I ordered a bunch of these retaining clips for the spring assembly. On mine the slide grabs ahold of that split ring clip and slowly pulls it off with each round fired. Also when the clip begins to come loose it will remove blueing from the hole the spring assembly slides through. The clips are about 30 cents a piece so every few hundred rounds I replace it to keep the garing of my slide to a minimal. I used to try using plyers to reshape it but found just replacing it is easy and cheap. Just lock the action back with the gun still assembeled to replace the clip. Its easy and cheap hope this helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My retainer clip flew off a while back when I field stripped my P95DC for cleaning, and I couldn't find it. I called Ruger to order three replacements, and they sent them to me for free!

No problems since then. While I was waiting for the replacement retainer clips, I did fire 50 rounds thru the P95DC with no problems, so it isn't a show stopper.

·
Registered
78 Posts
No the clip only holds the spring assembly together for quicker take down and re-assembly. Without it its a fumble to get all the springs on the guide and back in the gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts