Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't reloaded any 9mm yet but have about 3000 rds of once fired brass I'm cleaning/sizing, have 600 Speer 124gr bullets on order.
Don't have a 9mm pistol yet but that is in the works.... more to come on that later, it is a Ruger ;)
Of these powders... what are your recommendations... all Alliant, listed fastest burn to slowest...

Bullseye
Sport Pistol
Unique
BE-86
Power Pistol
Blue Dot

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use BE-86 with very good results. Burns clean with almost no flash even in low light. I get good velocity and very good accuracy. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
I haven't reloaded any 9mm yet but have about 3000 rds of once fired brass I'm cleaning/sizing, have 600 Speer 124gr bullets on order.
Don't have a 9mm pistol yet but that is in the works.... more to come on that later, it is a Ruger ;)
Of these powders... what are your recommendations... all Alliant, listed fastest burn to slowest...

Bullseye
Sport Pistol
Unique
BE-86
Power Pistol
Blue Dot
Any of the powders you have listed will work well for 9mm. As mentioned Power Pistol works well I have used it and if you want to make a big bang and light up an indoor lane load it a little warm and it will do it. BE-86 is very similar to Power Pistol with less flash. Sport Pistol seems to be gaining a following if you can find it. My main range load anymore is HP-38/231 I have been using Berrys 124gr RN plated bullets with 4.8 grains of HP-38 and it is a very accurate load out of my Canik TP9 FSx.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,078 Posts
9mm ammo and the guns that shoot it were designed for mid burn rate powders. BE-86 and Power pistol are excellent choices and by the way, they are basically the same powder only BE-86 has additives to prevent jacket fouling. Because the additives have weight, BE-86 will have a heavier charge weight. Before Power Pistol came out, my go to powder for 9mm was Unique. It is still a good powder, just not quite as good as Power Pistol. Bullseye and Sport Pistol burn too fast and although they will work in a 9mm, there are much better choices. Blue Dot burns way too slow for a 9mm.

·
16,078 Posts
dwarren, TiteGroup will work however is is a fast burning powder that is not well suited for a semi-auto. Tite Groups reaches a very high peak pressure in a short bullet travel distance. This is great for light loads in a revolver but not in a semi-auto. Why? Because the gun uses residual pressure to cycle the slide. If you load TiteGroup hot enough to operate the slide, chamber pressure will be notably higher than with medium burn rate powders. So. you save a few pennies with fast burning powder but your gun won't hold up as well. Cheaper is rarely better!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had bad leading with Tight group shooting cast. I been using sport pistol with great results. And it's cheap at my LGS. 127.00 for 8lbs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Power Pistol is my choice out of your listed powders. I shoot a ton of Power Pistol in several calibers with excellent results... I used to shoot a lot of Win 231 and HP 38 in my pistol loads, but Power Pistol is now my go to powder.

I have read and heard a lot of good things about BE-86 and would have not problem using it either. As "lowegan" wrote, they are very similar powders with BE-86 having a flash suppressant additive.

I would not use Blue Dot for 9MM. I do use Blue Dot in 10MM and 357 MAG, but it burns too slow for 9MM loads. It will also produce one hell of a fireball and have a harsh percussion report.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
….BE-86 and Power pistol are excellent choices and by the way, they are basically the same powder only BE-86 has additives to prevent jacket fouling. Because the additives have weight, BE-86 will have a heavier charge weight.....
Interesting... Speer has less charge weight in the BE-86 than the Power Pistol with more velocity results... at least with this bullet etc etc...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all... since I already have Power Pistol for my 45 ACP... guess I'll use that.

·
16,078 Posts
geroux, You are right ... even the Hornady manual has very similar powder charges for BE-86 and Power Pistol. I checked several different cartridges and just a few show a heavier charge weight with BE-86.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Vihtavouri 3N37, hands down, cleanest, easiest to meter, best powder you can use for 9mm super-sonic.
If however, you want to stay sub-sonic, N320 is a great powder as well.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Titan
26 Posts
I've been using Hodgdon Universal for several years now with good results, in other words it works well enough in all aspects of reloading for my pistol and Ruger PC9. That being said reloading should at least save you money, so doing the math find a powder that gives you the most loads per pound and Titegroup is surely one of them.

·
16,078 Posts
gunfreak, Given a choice between the best burn rate and a few pennies, I'll take the proper burn rate every time. Do you really think you are saving that much with TiteGroup? A pound of powder is about $20. There are 7000 grains in a pound. That makes it about .3 cents per grain. If you load 4.1 grains of TiteGroup versus 4.5gr of Universal with 115gr bullets at the same velocity, that's a whopping (.4X50=20) 20 grains per box of 50. The difference in cost would be (20X.003=.06) 6 cents for a box of 50.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Titan
26 Posts
Right now I don't use Titegroup I use Universal. I have 4 lbs. of it so I'll be using it for a while.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well I have used Titegroup for about 12,000 rounds of 115gr bullets and 3,00 rounds of 124/125gr bullets and never had a problem with the rounds or firearm.
I have loaded down to 3.8gr with 115gr bullets and up to 4.4gr with the same bullets and all have worked very well.
Just my experience with Titegroup.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I use Hp-38 (win 231). I believe its a fast burning powder but I have very good luck using it for 9mm, 380acp, 32acp, and 25acp.
But as for the best powder, Iowegan knows far better than I as I generally refer to him for advice when i get stuck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts