Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will be a practice gun. I have 2 CCWs, a 2 gen Glock 19 and a S&W .38sp. The Glock sat in it's case for a good 19-20 years, had perhaps 100 rounds thru it. I just did not make the effort to be proficient with it or any other firearm. For whatever reason, I decided that I would stop in the LGS. I overheard the owner tell a customer if they are going to buy a gun and put it in the drawer at home, don't buy a gun. Buy it, use it to practice, clean it, secure it. Otherwise it is sitting around waiting to be stolen. I've been practicing with a GSG 1911 .22lr I bought as a practice gun. It has a few characteristics that are similar enough to the Glock that i'm happy with it(sights/operation/holster). Confidence has increased in handling and shooting it.

The .38 has a steeper learning curve. The reason I went with the GSG was the expense of ammo vs not shooting as much. .22lr has got me a lot more practice time in at the range, skill has increased. I'm thinking of taking the same approach with the .38. I have snap caps for the .38, they are great for getting a feel for the heavy trigger pull of the .38. I work on trying to keep the aim point steady with the .38, a lot going on when trying to pull the 14lb trigger pull and keep the gun steady. The only way to be certain of that would be to buy a laser sight for the .38 (Crimson Trace) which I may do. the other option is a .22lr in a snub that fits the holster and practice practice practice. I like the idea of practice.

So recommend me a .22lr.....my .38 is a shrouded hammer and nickel plated. Would not mind having a stainless .22lr as a practice mate for the .38. Taurus? Charter?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have 3 snub 22 revolvers. Ruger LCR-22, Taurus 94, and S&W 317. The 317 is a 3", so not actually a snub because there is a 2" 317, but close enough. You asked Taurus or Charter at the end of your thread... I would say neither. I have no experience with Charter arms, but from comments I have read(take that for what its worth)there are better choices. You dont list a budget, so Im gonna assume money is no object, within reason. I like both my LCR-22 and my S&W 317. The Taurus is very heavy, and has a ridiculously heavy trigger in stock form. So much so, that even after I have worked it with polishing and spring changes, its not very good in Double Action. The LCR is a great revolver, the 317 is also, but is expensive. I would recommend either of those two. The 317 is unique in that its aluminum, and is simply as light as a feather. It also is SA/DA, where the LCR is DAO. You wont go wrong with either of those two.

·
Super Moderator
21,090 Posts
The LCR is a great revolver, the 317 is also, but is expensive. I would recommend either of those two. The 317 is unique in that its aluminum, and is simply as light as a feather. It also is SA/DA, where the LCR is DAO. You wont go wrong with either of those two.
Good advice.

Go to a shop and handle them both. Dry fire if they will let you. The one that feels closest to your 38 is the one I would go for if your sole intent is practice to improve with your 38. If you want a 22 to bring along in the woods for fun and maybe small game for the pot then I would get the smith with the sa/da trigger.

As to the Charters I have an old undercover 38 and it isn't a bad carry piece . If you are considering then I would want to "get the feel" at a gun shop first. They are less expensive but should hold up with the 22 LR.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I'll guess if your S&W is shrouded hammer and nickel, it's a model 49? That's a steel frame.

The S&W 317 .22 has an aluminum frame and cylinder, so it's a lot lighter. The 43C is all aluminum, too, but black and hammerless. The model 63 is stainless, but doesn't come in snub barrel length and has adjustable sights. To get a stainless snub length .22 you have to go to Charter or Taurus.

I ran into these mismatches when I decided to carry a snub, and wanted a similar .22 for practice. Since I didn't already have either one, it was easier. I ended up with the LCR-357 and LCR-22. Slight difference in weight, and a three round difference in capacity, but as close as one can get to a "matched pair".

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My .38sp is a

38-1, stamped inside of the frame, inspected with a light and magnifying glass. I misspoke about the shrouded, you can slide the hammer back. No way for it to catch on anything. Shoots .38sp only, no + ammo. I'm okay with that, so purty. Simply seeking a gun to practice with that has the feel of the .38sp without the expense of the ammo, will never be CCed.

Wow, just checked a few auction sites. A S&W 317 is $600? Considering I paid $400 for the one I have, I don't see that happening. Again let's remember this is a practice gun and a revolver, why i'm considering Taurus.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think a LCR or Taurus would be a decent practice pistol for you, the charter arms would probably work too. I've handled a few of the charters, you can tell they are a little cheaper, but they didn't seem like junk to me either, quality seemed on par with taurus. Honestly I liked the feel of the charter better, just fit my hand nicer, and the grips appeared to be made better than the taurus. 22lr is no going to put alot of stress on the gun, so almost anything should work just fine for you. If you did have a problem down the road, charter has a lifetime warranty, so they would take care of you.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Wow, just checked a few auction sites. A S&W 317 is $600? Considering I paid $400 for the one I have, I don't see that happening. Again let's remember this is a practice gun and a revolver, why i'm considering Taurus.
Your going to pay $400 for the Taurus, and its hit or miss whether or not you will get a good one. If you think you are going to shoot it Double Action right out of the box, you will be very disappointed. The LCR is decent and is in the same price range as the Taurus. If you are spending $400, and you will unless you buy used, I would save a little more and get something that is quality built, and holds its value. That means Ruger or S&W. It always cracks me up that because someone paid $400 for a .38 Special revolver, then a .22 should be cheaper than that. That 317 is just as difficult to build as your Model 38-1 was.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I bought the .38

I had the choice of a new S&W .38 with the enclosed type hammer in the lightweight alu or the used nickel I bought also an airweight. Both were the same price. So I'm not seeing the reason for a $200 price increase on a .22lr vs a .38sp. I'm seeing the Taurus in a $300-$350 on line.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I had the choice of a new S&W .38 with the enclosed type hammer in the lightweight alu or the used nickel I bought also an airweight. Both were the same price. So I'm not seeing the reason for a $200 price increase on a .22lr vs a .38sp. I'm seeing the Taurus in a $300-$350 on line.
I paid $369 for my Smith 638. I think they have recently dropped the prices on certain revolvers because they were being out sold by similar guns at much cheaper prices. There is nothing comparable to the 317 as far as the aluminum construction, so the price remains high. Dont forget that you pay shipping and transfer fees for an online gun purchase. The LCR-22 is a much better gun for little to no increase in price over the Taurus 94.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think I've narrowed it down

I'll figure a top dollar of $400 for a Ruger LCR and begin searching the used market, start watching auctions, etc that I normally do before a purchase. I'm still going to look at the Taurus 94. I see a used Ruger on an auction for $350, reportedly has 300 rounds thru it. Gun show comes up in Feb again, might have the funding in place by then.

Then again perhaps the Crimson Trace laser grips might shorten the curve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts