Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an original Vaquero .45. The cylinder throats measured
.450 - .451 with my cheap dial caliper.

Can anyone recommend a smith to whom can send my cylinder for throat reaming to .4525? Thanks for any reply.

Love the revolver. Brick outhouse of a single action.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Go to the "cast boolits" site, yes that is the correct spelling. Contact "Dougguy" He has a solid reputation for opening the throats of revolver cylinders to improve accuracy. For your caliber 45 he will open the throats to .4525. Cost is about 35 bucks and all you have to send to him is the cylinder which you can do by postal service small flat rate box for about 7 bucks with insurance.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I second the vote for Dougguy, he has done 5 cylinders for me, very nice fellow, does great work. Turn around time is only a couple days. Cylinderhone.net on facebook. He is on vacation right now until Jan 23rd, so you may not get a response until then.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dial calipers are not a very reliable way to measure throats. Are you sure they need to be reamed? What is the groove dimensions of your barrel? Look before you leap. You may just need to size your bullets to match. Don't be a lemming w/o knowing where you'll land.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I will slug them and report back.
If lead bullets wont pass through the throats with a little coaxing, that's all you need to know to proceed with reaming. Try a couple, because being out of round or deformation in transit could invalidate the conclusion. Ideally you size the bullet first. Then it will be round and a known standard diameter.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Barrels on .45 Colt Rugers are all .451 . So no need to slug (unless looking for constrictions). A standard .452 bullet should push through the cylinder throats with finger pressure. My original Vaquero had 'very' tight throats and reaming helped a lot. I did it myself as it isn't hard to do. The proper way of measuring throats is with a set of minus plug gauges, but the lead bullet test works good too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If lead bullets wont pass through the throats with a little coaxing, that's all you need to know to proceed with reaming. Try a couple, because being out of round or deformation in transit could invalidate the conclusion. Ideally you size the bullet first. Then it will be round and a known standard diameter.

Thank you for the advice. I tried plated .452 and they would not pass through the throat. I did not want to force them. I will try an unplated lead bullet, but I do not expect a difference. Thanks.

It is a beautiful pistol. 5.5 barrel, blue. Decent factory grips this time. Steel ejector rod housing, so its not the earliest Vaquero. I have an identical .357 Vaquero. I know Ruger is a little crude in the sense it is over-built on a large frame - its basically a .45 on a .44 Mag frame - and perhaps not a smaller hand-fitted beauty (which begs the analogy, but...). But "overkill" does give me a feeling of confidence. it was a Gunbroker purchase for $390 plus shipping. My FFL (lgs) did not even charge for the NICS check. (But then, I buy everything from them, even though they are not the cheapest.)

I would like to get a NV in 44 Special, 4.6", etc., but I am not sure Ruger ever made them. I hike a lot, and my woods gun is a 4 inch S&W M66 - lighter. This is a little heavy. But it does give one a feeling of preparedness. I was shooting 6.6 gr Bullseye with 230 gr. jacketed bullets, and some 200 gr. plated over 6.0 gr. Bullseye. The 200 grain were easier to shoot, but even the 6.6 gr. were not unreasonable, given the wt of the pistol. Its my new favorite. I need to find some 250 gr lead before I run out of Bullseye.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not as well as it should. I have another Ruger, a Colt, and two Ubertis. It shoots about as well as the Uberti .45. I suspect the same problem with the Uberti. The 357s all shoot well. The Ruger 357 Vaquero is the most accurate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts